Chicago Bulls history thread

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I don't think there would be any problem with spacing with that lineup at all. Teams would have to double MJ all the time anyways. Heck, the Pistons would triple team him. I'd actually take a young Ron Harper rather than Butler if I could.

yeah true nobody stopping mike one on one

i was looking at it from a fundamental standpoint...not any shooters on that squad

reminds me though...ive tried to replicate this on 2k forever

[video=youtube;cRkuPztt8Ok]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRkuPztt8Ok[/video]

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
yeah true nobody stopping mike one on one

i was looking at it from a fundamental standpoint...not any shooters on that squad

reminds me though...ive tried to replicate this on 2k forever

[video=youtube;cRkuPztt8Ok]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRkuPztt8Ok[/video]

I really don't think it would matter. Their shot creation would be off the charts, imo. Besides, Pip was very underrated as a shooter, imo. I saw him hit many clutch outside shots. He would take over games with his shooting. They wouldn't have to shoot with that lineup anyhow.

Also, with Noah and Rodman crashing the Boards, they'd get a ton of offensive rebounds anyhow. Don't get me wrong, I'd still have a Kerr or Pax on the team, but that lineup could definitely hold it's own offensively, imo. Besides, no one could score against us anyhow, it wouldn't matter. :lol:

As far as Rodman, he was actually a better scorer than people think. He just never shot the ball. He would constantly give up shots to move the ball around. He definately could have shot more if he wanted, but that was part of the Rodman mystique, imo. He actually preferred to get a rebound or make a pass than score.

It was kinda weird actually, but he was perfect for that team. I didn't like when they 1st got him, and the Bulls had a team meeting to see if they liked the idea of bringing him in, but he was pure awesome. When the Bulls were slumping and had no energy, Rodman would take over.

He had more energy than any other player I've ever seen, including MJ.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
yeah i remember i was watching some highlights and Rodman had a ton of rebounds but didn't have any shot attempts until late in in the fourth...thats the epitome of knowing your role

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
yeah i remember i was watching some highlights and Rodman had a ton of rebounds but didn't have any shot attempts until late in in the forth...thats the epitome of knowing your role

What you don't see is the other stuff he did. He'd have 20+ rebounds, but he'd tip another 5 to other players. He could read the bounce off the rim better than anyone I've ever seen. He wouldn't go to the rim, he'd go to where the ball would bounce off the rim.

He was also a master of getting inside players heads. He would literally have LJ throwing fits about his smothering defense. He ran the floor great too. His passing was much better than anyone ever gives him credit for.

MJ, Pip, and Rodman were the 3 best defenders ever on one team, imo. They would literally smother teams when they wanted. I remember watching games and the Bulls were down by 20. I wouldn't ever worry, cuz they would just turn on the defense and get back into the game. It was really beautiful to watch.

If I were you, I'd try to get some of the playoff runs with those guys and watch the full games. Nothing else ever like it, imo. I've actually got every playoff game, and every playoff series, for all 6 years of their championships on tape. I've got to get those on DVD sometime. :yep:

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
yeah that uconn team was the shit

Okafor and Gordon were like the Shaq and Kobe of college basketball that year.

A shame that Gordon didn't stay with the team and when we got Thibs.

Could of signed Bogans or Brewer and start them at the 2 for about 18mpg and had BG7 play the other 30. Probably could have beaten the Heat and won a championship in 2010-11.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
Okafor and Gordon were like the Shaq and Kobe of college basketball that year.

A shame that Gordon didn't stay with the team and when we got Thibs.

Could of signed Bogans or Brewer and start them at the 2 for about 18mpg and had BG7 play the other 30. Probably could have beaten the Heat and won a championship in 2010-11.

you're speaking my language

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
you're speaking my language

I'm just a Ben Gordon fan like you. As much as I loved the dynasty days I think my favorite part of the Bulls was the Baby Bulls era as it got us back into the playoffs and had me love the game once again.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
It's too bad that 04-05 team wasn't at full strength at seasons end and in the playoffs. If Curry and Deng were healthy they might have won 50 games and surely would have advanced to the 2nd round.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
one of my fave all-time moments

[video=youtube;nhiGbklVUms]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhiGbklVUms[/video]

the Mike Breen commentary and the crotch grab were so epic

you also got Thibs standing right there looking like it totally drained him

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
one of my fave all-time moments

[video=youtube;nhiGbklVUms]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhiGbklVUms[/video]

the Mike Breen commentary and the crotch grab were so epic

you also got Thibs standing right there looking like it totally drained him

All the talk was about Rose vs Rondo in that series but Gordon was clutch pretty much all series.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
When Gordon was drafted by the Bulls I was intent on getting his jersey and they only one kind of jersey that had his name and number

Chicago%20Bulls%207%20Ben%20Gordon%20black%20Jersey.jpg

That was $45 around 10 years ago.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
In the 09 Playoffs. Tyrus Thomas led the entire playoffs with 2.9bpg. Noah was 4th with 2.1 and 3rd in rpg with 13.1

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
When Gordon was drafted by the Bulls I was intent on getting his jersey and they only one kind of jersey that had his name and number

http://www.jerseysmall.us/images/Chicago Bulls 7 Ben Gordon black Jerse y.jpg
That was $45 around 10 years ago.

you mean the trash bag jersey made by Reebok? those were so bad lol

speaking of those jerseys...this video is appropriate

[video=youtube;QF-AI_aEhd0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF-AI_aEhd0[/video]

love how he backpedals all the way to the bench smiling

Liked Posts:
I could lineup many different favorite Bulls lineups, but in todays game, could you imagine a defensive lineup of MJ, Butler, Pippen, Rodman, and Noah. Man, would that be a fun lineup to watch play some playoff defense or what?

Ron Harper was also excellent defensively. I'm not sure the difference between him and Butler defensively.

The thing about those centers is that if you look at them individually, they look like scrubs. But the way they played and were used was very intelligent. Back then, they allowed handchecking and the game was more physical, to freedom of movement was more difficult than what you see today. This brought the game closer to the basket. There were also more two way centers back then. So fouling in and around the basket was important. A huge benefit to those center rotations was giving fouls and making the other team hit free throws. It was never about Shaquille Oneal vs Luc Longley. It was about Shaq against three experienced centers who collectively had 18 fouls to give. And those centers were perfectly willing to make opposing centers earn their points 15' from the basket instead of from 2' away. I feel when people make fun of Luc Longley or whoever, they're missing what was actually happening. The Bulls' centers had 18 fouls to give against Shaq, meanwhile, Shaq had only 6 fouls against Jordan and Pippen when they were at the basket.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Ron Harper was also excellent defensively. I'm not sure the difference between him and Butler defensively.

The thing about those centers is that if you look at them individually, they look like scrubs. But the way they played and were used was very intelligent. Back then, they allowed handchecking and the game was more physical, to freedom of movement was more difficult than what you see today. This brought the game closer to the basket. There were also more two way centers back then. So fouling in and around the basket was important. A huge benefit to those center rotations was giving fouls and making the other team hit free throws. It was never about Shaquille Oneal vs Luc Longley. It was about Shaq against three experienced centers who collectively had 18 fouls to give. And those centers were perfectly willing to make opposing centers earn their points 15' from the basket instead of from 2' away. I feel when people make fun of Luc Longley or whoever, they're missing what was actually happening. The Bulls' centers had 18 fouls to give against Shaq, meanwhile, Shaq had only 6 fouls against Jordan and Pippen when they were at the basket.

I don't remember saying anything about 'other' C's, but I did say in "today's game", which is why I used Noah. If I was talking about the game back then, Noah would get his ass kicked, and why Bill Cartwright was such a needed acquisition for the Bulls back then. Totally different. And Harper could shoot better than Butler.

Liked Posts:
I don't remember saying anything about 'other' C's, but I did say in "today's game", which is why I used Noah. If I was talking about the game back then, Noah would get his ass kicked, and why Bill Cartwright was such a needed acquisition for the Bulls back then. Totally different. And Harper could shoot better than Butler.

Noahs better for sure, especially defensively. To a large extent, it's about function. Rodman was like 6'8 and was a better rebounder than much taller players. Same with Grant to a lesser extent. Having Grant and Rodman at PF during those years lightened the load considerably on those Centers. Noah, as a center, has served a similar function as Grant and Rodman. Noahs role is more similar to that of Rodman and Grant than Cartwright. Noah would have still been good back then.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Noahs better for sure, especially defensively. To a large extent, it's about function. Rodman was like 6'8 and was a better rebounder than much taller players. Same with Grant to a lesser extent. Having Grant and Rodman at PF during those years lightened the load considerably on those Centers. Noah, as a center, has served a similar function as Grant and Rodman. Noahs role is more similar to that of Rodman and Grant than Cartwright. Noah would have still been good back then.

I'm not sure you're grasping what I'm saying. I was merely talking about a defensive lineup in "today's game". My point was I would have liked to see Noah play with MJ, Pip, and Rodman, again, in "today's game". That's it.

Comparing yesterday vs today's C's is a completely different subject altogether. I wasn't trying to compare Noah to any C of the past. :dunno:

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure you're grasping what I'm saying. I was merely talking about a defensive lineup in "today's game". My point was I would have liked to see Noah play with MJ, Pip, and Rodman, again, in "today's game". That's it.

Comparing yesterday vs today's C's is a completely different subject altogether. I wasn't trying to compare Noah to any C of the past. :dunno:

You said "Noah would get his ass kicked", no?

But yes, that would be an amazing collection of individual defenders. But what would really knock your socks off would be Jordan's offense in today's game. They don't allow handchecking anymore, as amazing as he was under the old rules he'd score even more than he did.