Chicago Bulls history thread

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
You said "Noah would get his ass kicked", no?

But yes, that would be an amazing collection of individual defenders. But what would really knock your socks off would be Jordan's offense in today's game. They don't allow handchecking anymore, as amazing as he was under the old rules he'd score even more than he did.

That was in response to you coming out of nowhere about other C's and comparisons. :dunno: But not to dwell on that, I do think Noah would struggle in the old days. C's back then were post presences for the most part.

Noah would definately not be as good as he is today back then, imo. That's just the way it was, not his fault, the game was different. Back then, I'd take Cartwright or even Artis Gilmore, but in today's game, I'd definitely take Noah.

But yes, a lineup of MJ, Pip, Rodman, Noah, and Harper would kill in today's game. Their transition game would be ridiculous, but their defense would be awesome to watch, imo. Imo, Rodman and Pippen would completely shutdown LJ. That's w/o even sicking a quicker MJ on LJ.

Liked Posts:
That was in response to you coming out of nowhere about other C's and comparisons. :dunno: But not to dwell on that, I do think Noah would struggle in the old days. C's back then were post presences for the most part.

Noah would definately not be as good as he is today back then, imo. That's just the way it was, not his fault, the game was different. Back then, I'd take Cartwright or even Artis Gilmore, but in today's game, I'd definitely take Noah.

But yes, a lineup of MJ, Pip, Rodman, Noah, and Harper would kill in today's game. Their transition game would be ridiculous, but their defense would be awesome to watch, imo. Imo, Rodman and Pippen would completely shutdown LJ. That's w/o even sicking a quicker MJ on LJ.

Ok. You're entitled to feel that way.

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
I go back to the Dick Motta era, the teams that won 50 games every year but not a division title. It was such a different game from now, far less athletic but a whole lot tougher. Walt Frazier says he still has marks from playing against Sloan and Van Lier.

I'd like to have a lineup of rarely mentioned on these boards Bulls, Norm Van Lier who really led his team on the floor, Reggie Theus who with the current rules would be an unbelievable scorer, Artis Gilmore I don't think there's a center who could stop him in the low post today, Elton Brand I still can't believe that they traded away someone who would have anchored the team for a decade and Chet Walker was in the top 3 most clutch and hardest player they've ever had. It wouldn't the run and gun lineup to win 70 games but come playoff time they would be tough to beat with the defense and a half court game.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
I go back to the Dick Motta era, the teams that won 50 games every year but not a division title. It was such a different game from now, far less athletic but a whole lot tougher. Walt Frazier says he still has marks from playing against Sloan and Van Lier.

I'd like to have a lineup of rarely mentioned on these boards Bulls, Norm Van Lier who really led his team on the floor, Reggie Theus who with the current rules would be an unbelievable scorer, Artis Gilmore I don't think there's a center who could stop him in the low post today, Elton Brand I still can't believe that they traded away someone who would have anchored the team for a decade and Chet Walker was in the top 3 most clutch and hardest player they've ever had. It wouldn't the run and gun lineup to win 70 games but come playoff time they would be tough to beat with the defense and a half court game.

IDK what my all time lineup would be but my end of the game lineup offensively for the Bulls all time would be Noah, Rodman, Jordan, Gordon, Rose

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
IDK what my all time lineup would be but my end of the game lineup offensively for the Bulls all time would be Noah, Rodman, Jordan, Gordon, Rose
Interesting as Noah and Rodman aren't direct threats to score, but are fantastic passers. Wonder how exactly that would work out with the other 3 players being more iso scorers. I guess BG would work the best as he'd be a very good catch and shoot option. Rose and Jordan would be very much reliant on that backdoor cut that we see in Thib's offense nowadays I would feel like, but I don't have the best knowledge of Rodman's role in the triangle.

In any case, it's got low post scoring, shooting, and slashing so how bad could it be, especially with two amazing offensive rebounders?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

no pippen out there huh? interesting, I disagree highly, but interesting none the less. give me noah, rodman, pippen, Jordan, and any point guard not named rose pretty much lol rather have a ball handler who can run an offense. that's why the old bulls were able to play with harper at the PG was he knew how to get the ball where it was supposed to go

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
no pippen out there huh? interesting, I disagree highly, but interesting none the less. give me noah, rodman, pippen, Jordan, and any point guard not named rose pretty much lol rather have a ball handler who can run an offense. that's why the old bulls were able to play with harper at the PG was he knew how to get the ball where it was supposed to go
The more I think about it, I think Rose would be best suited as a 6th man on an all time Bulls squad in terms of fit. You'd start maybe a Van Lier or Sloan at PG instead as they'd move the ball around more and give more defense. Or you could just go with Harper...or even a shooter like Kerr or whoever you like, even a prime Kirk would do well I'd think. Rose could lead the second unit and not get in the way as much of someone like MJ or Pippen who you'd rather have the ball.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:

Pippen would be out there for most the game of course and for the defensive part of the clutch situation.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
The more I think about it, I think Rose would be best suited as a 6th man on an all time Bulls squad in terms of fit. You'd start maybe a Van Lier or Sloan at PG instead as they'd move the ball around more and give more defense. Or you could just go with Harper...or even a shooter like Kerr or whoever you like, even a prime Kirk would do well I'd think. Rose could lead the second unit and not get in the way as much of someone like MJ or Pippen who you'd rather have the ball.

I would take Hinrich from 03-04 to 06-07 running the point out there with Pip and MJ

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would take Hinrich from 03-04 to 06-07 running the point out there with Pip and MJ
That would be fine by me. Kirk was rock solid then...would've been a pretty good PG alongside those two.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
That would be fine by me. Kirk was rock solid then...would've been a pretty good PG alongside those two.

Would have been a nice 3rd scorer alongside those 2.

Averaged 15.1ppg 6.4apg 1.3spg in 36mpg

playoffs from 05-07 averaged 16.9ppg 7.1apg 1.3spg in 36.8mpg.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

LOL, no shit. Let's leave out the best perimeter defender of all time for Ben Gordon. :smh:

I'm not sure I'd go with a PG, that's why I like Harper, he can defend and still score. I'd let Pip bring the ball up, myself, knowing MJ can help if needed.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
LOL, no shit. Let's leave out the best perimeter defender of all time for Ben Gordon. :smh:

I'm not sure I'd go with a PG, that's why I like Harper, he can defend and still score. I'd let Pip bring the ball up, myself, knowing MJ can help if needed.

I guess you didn't know the word "offensively" in there.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
Noahs better for sure, especially defensively. To a large extent, it's about function. Rodman was like 6'8 and was a better rebounder than much taller players. Same with Grant to a lesser extent. Having Grant and Rodman at PF during those years lightened the load considerably on those Centers. Noah, as a center, has served a similar function as Grant and Rodman. Noahs role is more similar to that of Rodman and Grant than Cartwright. Noah would have still been good back then.

Imagine Noah or Boerwinkle in the triangle with their passing.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

id still have pippen out there offensively IMO. I think youre forgetting just how good scottie was on that side of the ball as well. he was an excellent passer, played well out of the post, ran the fastbreak amazingly, and could hit a 3 from time to time although admittingly that was not his "game."

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
id still have pippen out there offensively IMO. I think youre forgetting just how good scottie was on that side of the ball as well. he was an excellent passer, played well out of the post, ran the fastbreak amazingly, and could hit a 3 from time to time although admittingly that was not his "game."

True Pippen was underrated offensively but he didn't have a whole lot of great clutch moments offensively. To me I think his steal at the end of game 6 of the 97 NBA finals was his greatest clutch moment.

Here's something I learned.

Hinrich is the all time leader in 3 pointers made for the Bulls. He passed Gordon who passed Pippen

It took Gordon 5 years to pass and set the record that took Pippen 11 to 12 seasons to set in less attempts then Pippen.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
True Pippen was underrated offensively but he didn't have a whole lot of great clutch moments offensively. To me I think his steal at the end of game 6 of the 97 NBA finals was his greatest clutch moment.

Here's something I learned.

Hinrich is the all time leader in 3 pointers made for the Bulls. He passed Gordon who passed Pippen

It took Gordon 5 years to pass and set the record that took Pippen 11 to 12 seasons to set in less attempts then Pippen.

that's true...but that doesn't make Gordon the better offensive player than pippen. in reality the only thing Gordon did better than pippen was outside shooting. in EVERY other category of the game of basketball on the offensive and defensive side of the ball pippen did better than gordon

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
that's true...but that doesn't make Gordon the better offensive player than pippen. in reality the only thing Gordon did better than pippen was outside shooting. in EVERY other category of the game of basketball on the offensive and defensive side of the ball pippen did better than gordon

Pippen is leaps and bounds better than Gordon defensively. That's not an argument.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

I'm well aware of the word offensively. No offense man, but Ben Gordon sucks. I'll never get the Gordon Love, myself. You can always tell a young poster, by the Gordon Love, imo. He had some games shooting the ball for the Bulls, and everyone remember the Celts series.

He shot the ball that series, but his immaturity showed, imo, by all the crotch grabbing. WTF was that? He turned the ball over consistantly, couldn't dribble against premier defenders, and was selfish on offense, and was no defender.

Just look at the rest of his career. If he was a great player, he wouldn't have sit on the bench for MJ's team. And he hasn't done shit since then. That's not the body of work for a great player. Ben Gordon was a wannabe, and had a brief good shooting spell for the Bulls, not unlike a Nate Robinson, who could at least play defense.

#lolatthebengordonlove