Jeff Samardzija

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
For much of the day, there has been a ticker tape headline on CLTV stating:

"Cubs trades making way for Jeff Samardzija return"

Only I cannot find one article anywhere to support this theory.

Is there any merit to this?.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Well he is a FA after this season, if i'm not mistaken. I'm not sure what trades would have to do with that, however.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
There was a headline on a Chicago Tribune story today that said "Cubs trade sets up Samardzija for future"

I didn't really get what that meant so I had to click on it and it was about how Shark is glad he got a taste of being the new guy on a team and how that feels before he heads into free agency. He also said more so than the biggest payday, he wanted to go somewhere he actually wanted to be like Scherzer and Lester did.

Maybe someone else was confused or misconstrued his quotes. There's no real merit to Samardzija actually eventually going back to the Cubs right now.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
who is to say the cubs even will want him back? not that it means much since its spring training but he gave up 3 long balls his last outing and has given up 4 homers today to the cubs

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Well, you can't blame him for wanting to play with the better team. :dunno:

tumblr_movlt2UbNT1rt8ki3o1_500.gif

chibears55

Liked Posts:
who is to say the cubs even will want him back? not that it means much since its spring training but he gave up 3 long balls his last outing and has given up 4 homers today to the cubs
I think if offer is right, he stays with his childhood team the whitesox. ..

I like samardzija but if he looking for 20+ Mil.. i pass
Rather give it to price, Zimmerman, or Cueto if cubs go that route again next off season

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think if offer is right, he stays with his childhood team the whitesox. ..

I like samardzija but if he looking for 20+ Mil.. i pass
Rather give it to price, Zimmerman, or Cueto if cubs go that route again next off season

I doubt he is going to have a better season than Arrieta.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
also:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/jordan-zimmermann-says-extension-unlikely.html

Jordan Zimmermann Says Extension Unlikely
By Jeff Todd [March 27, 2015 at 4:47pm CDT]
Nationals righty Jordan Zimmermann, one of the team’s proudest homegrown talents, indicated today that a new deal appears rather unlikely, as Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington reports. Zimmermann made clear again today that he will refuse to discuss a contract during the season, leaving scant time to revive momentum.

Zimmermann, a Relativity Baseball client, is set to become one of the most desirable free agents in next year’s class. “I’m just not going to talk during the season,” said Zimmermann. “If something gets done before then — which is probably pretty rare right now — then it gets done. But it’s not looking good.”

With Max Scherzer now under contract for the foreseeable future, the Nationals seemingly lost interest in trying to convince the 28-year-old Zimmermann to take a deal that was palatable to the club. The same, perhaps, is true of Doug Fister. It remains to be seen, of course, whether the team will ultimately make a run at inking Stephen Strasburg to a long-term deal, though he too may be too close to free agency for that to be a realistic possibility.

As for Zimmermann, even an average season by his standards should make him an easy $100MM+ free agent. If he can repeat or improve upon last year’s effort (2.66 ERA/2.68 FIP over 199 2/3 innings), then he’ll probably be looking to build on the Jon Lester deal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over all he or Fister IMO become prime targets. Nats are going to be going all out at Stras and I do see those 2 being left open. If Arrieta proves to be a legit #2 then I would go after Fister. If not then spend the $$$ for Zimmerman as he is a legit #2.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Samarzijia had every opportunity to sign with the Cubs long term, and rejected them.

He doesn't want to be a Cub, and next offseason there will be a dozen better pitchers on the market.

That ship has sailed. No loss. The Cubs should be able to land a pitcher who actually has won double digits in one season.