A new business?

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
A restaurant buddy and I have been discussing opening a new restaurant that plays off two highly successful concepts. Read a bit and tell me what you think.

A lot of this I think may depend on your market at first, as everything typically does. This is a cross between a Qdoba/Chipolte and one of the many low cost, quick carryout mexican breakfast burrito joints you see all over the place. You know the ones. Some have a drive through, but the burriotos all look the same-tin foil wrapped for quick morning eats on the go. For my Denver Bear Brothers: Think Santiagos.

Now, the problem I have with the kind described above it that they are small and loaded with sodium. Not healthy in the least. Now why do peeps like Qdoba and Chipolte? Still quick, but perceived healthier than Wendys, etc. What is the two were somehow combined?

Imagine a small restaurant with a burrito line similar to a Qdoba/Chipolte that's only open from 6:00 A.M. to 1:00 or 2:00. People who like the quick, casual convenience of a burrito in the afternoon for lunch, or need those early morning calories on their commute, come in and see this:

1. Choose your tortilla: Regular, Low-Fat, Whole Wheat, Gluten Free.
2. Choose your eggs: Regular, egg whites only, egg beaters, cage free and organic available.
3. Choose your meat: Ground turkey, chorizo, free range chicken, angus ground beef, tofu.
4. Choose your starch: Breakfast potatoes, sweet potato hash, brown rice.
5. Toppings include: Spinach, onion, kale, mushrooms, pico de gallo, tomatoes, jalapenos, sauteed bell peppers or raw, cheese, sour cream, guac, salsa-different temps, etc.

Just an idea on some of the toppings, but you get the point. This is where the suburban Mom will want to bring her kids because of the healthy options. This is where the person who likes this style of food will come for a better selection at breakfast with healthier options if they want them.

Charge Qboda/Chipolte burrito prices if not more because of the premium ingredients and tortillas.

Thoughts?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
A restaurant buddy and I have been discussing opening a new restaurant that plays off two highly successful concepts. Read a bit and tell me what you think.

A lot of this I think may depend on your market at first, as everything typically does. This is a cross between a Qdoba/Chipolte and one of the many low cost, quick carryout mexican breakfast burrito joints you see all over the place. You know the ones. Some have a drive through, but the burriotos all look the same-tin foil wrapped for quick morning eats on the go. For my Denver Bear Brothers: Think Santiagos.

Now, the problem I have with the kind described above it that they are small and loaded with sodium. Not healthy in the least. Now why do peeps like Qdoba and Chipolte? Still quick, but perceived healthier than Wendys, etc. What is the two were somehow combined?

Imagine a small restaurant with a burrito line similar to a Qdoba/Chipolte that's only open from 6:00 A.M. to 1:00 or 2:00. People who like the quick, casual convenience of a burrito in the afternoon for lunch, or need those early morning calories on their commute, come in and see this:

1. Choose your tortilla: Regular, Low-Fat, Whole Wheat, Gluten Free.
2. Choose your eggs: Regular, egg whites only, egg beaters, cage free and organic available.
3. Choose your meat: Ground turkey, chorizo, free range chicken, angus ground beef, tofu.
4. Choose your starch: Breakfast potatoes, sweet potato hash, brown rice.
5. Toppings include: Spinach, onion, kale, mushrooms, pico de gallo, tomatoes, jalapenos, sauteed bell peppers or raw, cheese, sour cream, guac, salsa-different temps, etc.

Just an idea on some of the toppings, but you get the point. This is where the suburban Mom will want to bring her kids because of the healthy options. This is where the person who likes this style of food will come for a better selection at breakfast with healthier options if they want them.

Charge Qboda/Chipolte burrito prices if not more because of the premium ingredients and tortillas.

Thoughts?

So basically a Chipotle for breakfast?

As far as the bolded part, I don't know anything about qdoba, but Chipotle's ingredients are just as premium as what you're offering. They locally source all of their stuff and pay for free range, naturally raised proteins over the factory farmed stuff.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but I'd think that if the most successful Burrito franchise in the world, doing essentially what you are, but without the Huevos and morning hours isn't already doing it, they probably have done enough market research to know the profits won't justify the expansion into your space...

Just my humble opinion and I'm not trolling.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Qdoba does exactly what you're talking about at some locations. Already started rolling it out.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Qdoba does exactly what you're talking about at some locations. Already started rolling it out.

Do they offer Angus beef doe?

Last edited:

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Qdoba has done it in one location in Denver and it's a watered down version of their dinner/lunch. No "healthy" options. I'm talking about going all the way with the healthy stuff.

HHM, no offense taken, man, it's all good. Lot's of super healthy conscious people in Denver we think would flip over this. Just rolling the idea around in our heads.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Qdoba has done it in one location in Denver and it's a watered down version of their dinner/lunch. No "healthy" options. I'm talking about going all the way with the healthy stuff.

HHM, no offense taken, man, it's all good. Lot's of super healthy conscious people in Denver we think would flip over this. Just rolling the idea around in our heads.

Cool.

Another thing I'm thinking is food cost/waste cost. I'd consider pairing down the ingredients and concentrating on what you can do best and cheapest while maintaining a high quality. Sure it's fewer options, but it's what respected chefs get away with and it minimizes operating losses. To mix things up, offer weekly/monthly specials on things not on your standard menu that you can get for cheap. It adds credence value to the "locally sourced" marketing angle because frankly a lot of things aren't neccessarily sustainable locally.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I can't speak to their preferred breed of cattle.

Sorry it's one of my pet peeves that Angus is used to denote premium beef. Most beef this day is Angus because they are hardy, not because their meat is particularly exceptional. Factory feed lot beef imported from Canada is Angus and it's shit.

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
Cool.

Another thing I'm thinking is food cost/waste cost. I'd consider pairing down the ingredients and concentrating on what you can do best and cheapest while maintaining a high quality. Sure it's fewer options, but it's what respected chefs get away with and it minimizes operating losses. To mix things up, offer weekly/monthly specials on things not on your standard menu that you can get for cheap. It adds credence value to the "locally sourced" marketing angle because frankly a lot of things aren't neccessarily sustainable locally.

Aside from the eggs, proteins and starches, everything else is minimum prep. Not too worried. Only worried about not having enough "Good for you" items.

Beginning with specials is the first way to doom yourself into always having to offer a special, or reduced priced meal. A special can come later. People need to be hooked on the concept and food first. The goal is to make price irrelevant.

Sorry it's one of my pet peeves that Angus is used to denote premium beef. Most beef this day is Angus because they are hardy, not because their meat is particularly exceptional. Factory feed lot beef imported from Canada is Angus and it's shit.

But "Angus" sells as you know. And that will help food cost. Early forecasts have shown a 21% food cost.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aside from the eggs, proteins and starches, everything else is minimum prep. Not too worried. Only worried about not having enough "Good for you" items.

Beginning with specials is the first way to doom yourself into always having to offer a special, or reduced priced meal. A special can come later. People need to be hooked on the concept and food first. The goal is to make price

HHM, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he means special in terms of a rotating, seasonal spot in the menu.

Example: A taco place that has four mainstays and two seasonal spots that get changed a few times throughout the year. The price wouldn't be lowered on those items.

It keeps the menu (and inventory) small while offering variety to your customers. It can also create a sense of urgency (think of all the pumpkin spice stuff that people offer in the fall).

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
I like that idea. Sorry if I misinterpreted.

Does meat have on peak/off peak times? Either way, I can always change some of the meats to give it flair. At the restaurant I'm currently running right now, we have lamb loin in. Sounds expensive doesn't it? It's cheaper than chicken. Just came through our order guide with Shamrock.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
HHM, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he means special in terms of a rotating, seasonal spot in the menu.

Example: A taco place that has four mainstays and two seasonal spots that get changed a few times throughout the year. The price wouldn't be lowered on those items.

It keeps the menu (and inventory) small while offering variety to your customers. It can also create a sense of urgency (think of all the pumpkin spice stuff that people offer in the fall).

That's exactly what i'm talking about. You'd actually try to make BETTER margins on the special items. It's an upsell to something that is there for a limited time. It doesn't even have to be "seasonal" per se, but could just be you found a guy who wanted to unload some goats, so you got them at a nice price.

sorry if I wasn't more clear initially. all i think about is margins all day.

Reactions: WCL

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Qudoba/Chipotle are not really quick tho. If you are trying to get before work peoples, probably gon have to be faster.

If anything, I would think a regular fast food style place but with qudoba/chipotle healthy food branding/marketing would be a better idea. Really, any remake of a fast food chain concept with healthy/local food branding could be a real good. If you can make people feel good about eating fast food, you could probably make a lot of money.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you really wanted to go all out on the healthy foods, you'd offer pasture raised chickens and pastured eggs along with grass fed [and finished] beef. "free range" and "cage free" is just a marketing tactic. Those chickens aren't really healthier or treated better. Plus, they're more than likely fed GMO corn/soy, which a lot of people are trying to avoid these days. Same with grass fed beef. A lot of those cows were fed grass, but then they switched them over to a grain [again, most likely GMO] diet to fatten them up before killing them.

Of course, this would be more expensive and people would wind up paying more than they'd like for fast food, which would be bad for business.

I do like where your head's at though.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry if I'm derailing here but couldn't Chipotle do better by offering drive thru. Is there a good reason they don't?

Reactions: DC

The Apostate

Liked Posts:
Sounds interesting, but keep in mind what a restauranteur friend likes to say: Do you know the best way to make a small fortune in the restaurant business? Start with a large fortune.

On a serious note the ROI on restaurants is typically very small, according the NRA (no, not that one. The National Restaurant Association) even a successful fast casual business runs profits,at best, in the 3-4% range. Are you really sure you want to invest the kind of effort required for such a small return?

DC

Donator
Liked Posts:
If you really wanted to go all out on the healthy foods, you'd offer pasture raised chickens and pastured eggs along with grass fed [and finished] beef. "free range" and "cage free" is just a marketing tactic. Those chickens aren't really healthier or treated better. Plus, they're more than likely fed GMO corn/soy, which a lot of people are trying to avoid these days. Same with grass fed beef. A lot of those cows were fed grass, but then they switched them over to a grain [again, most likely GMO] diet to fatten them up before killing them.

Of course, this would be more expensive and people would wind up paying more than they'd like for fast food, which would be bad for business.

I do like where your head's at though.

Oh for sure. Those are good points, but they will not make or break a business like this IMO. It's just burritos after all. If we decided to really push this we would do a cost analysis of all possible products and try to find the best stuff at the best price. Just have to remember we still live in America. Land of the Whopper and Frappacuino.

Sounds interesting, but keep in mind what a restauranteur friend likes to say: Do you know the best way to make a small fortune in the restaurant business? Start with a large fortune.

On a serious note the ROI on restaurants is typically very small, according the NRA (no, not that one. The National Restaurant Association) even a successful fast casual business runs profits,at best, in the 3-4% range. Are you really sure you want to invest the kind of effort required for such a small return?

I'm kind of a restaurant guy. Current profit margin at my place is over 10% and it's full service, four course restaurant.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!