If he is available, Ray will be the Bears pick at #7

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Apparently most, 90%, of double digit sack guys in the NFL over the last few years have 3 cone times under 7.4 most being close to or under 7.

Dante Fowler's 7.4 is bad.

Shane Ray's 7.7 is epicly bad.

7.7 puts him in OL change of direction territory.

He hyperextended his big toe during his bowl game. It is still hurt. Hurting your big toe drastically affects the ability to push off to accelerate and change direction. Stop being dumb.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Beasley
Fowler
Ray

I doubt all 3 will be gone in the first 6 picks. Whoever they like, I am cool with. None of us are good enough to tell who of the 3 is the best.

We are going WR in round one, you can book it.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
I've watched every single one and he's probably more clever than you think. Unlike most people though, I work under the premise that I could also be wrong. I'm just right more than I'm wrong, which is why I'm a good investor.

Don't sell yourself short, you are a superb investor. What it was to do with Shane Ray, I have no idea.

Sent from under the tree of Yggdrasil.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
He hyperextended his big toe during his bowl game. It is still hurt. Hurting your big toe drastically affects the ability to push off to accelerate and change direction. Stop being dumb.

I am not quite sure what the injury is but I have had foot sprains and they take a lot of time to properly heal. Your confidence and ability to change direction is severely hampered. I would say it has something to do with the really bad numbers. You really can't tell me that a guy who runs a 4.65 has such horrible change of direction. On tape, it certainly doesn't look that bad.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am not quite sure what the injury is but I have had foot sprains and they take a lot of time to properly heal. Your confidence and ability to change direction is severely hampered. I would say it has something to do with the really bad numbers. You really can't tell me that a guy who runs a 4.65 has such horrible change of direction. On tape, it certainly doesn't look that bad.

There is a difference between straight line speed and change of direction.

The assertion that he is an elite athlete in anecdotal, he looks like an elite athlete on film, but his testing numbers do not indicate that at all.

His testing is McClellin

Ray 6'2" 249lbs

40-yard dash: 4.64 and 4.65 seconds
Vertical jump: 33 1/2 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet
20-yard short shuttle: 4.53 seconds
Three-cone drill: 7.71 seconds
Bench: 21 reps

McClellin 6'3" 260lbs

40 YARD DASH: 4.63 SEC
BENCH PRESS: 19 REPS
VERTICAL JUMP: 31.5 INCH
BROAD JUMP: 118.0 INCH
3 CONE DRILL: 7.07 SEC
20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.33 SEC

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

That was 3 months ago. If a hyper extended toe has not healed in 3 months then perhaps it is permanent, or it is a convenient excuse for a guy who knew that he was going to disappoint in the testing.

Did the toe also affect his ability to put up a respectable number on the bench?

You can't cherry pick tests to use and then ignore them when your guy doesn't test well.

Shane Ray may turn out to be a great player, but the truth is that he checks very few of the physical boxes. If you pick him at 7 you are hoping that the film against college OLmen will translate to going against Joe Thomas and Russell Okung.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I believe the magic number for arm length in SF is 34" and hand size is 10". I belive McCoughan started that and Baalke has carried it forward.

Aldon Smith, 35" and 9 3/4"
Tank Carradine, 35" and 10"
Corey Lemonier, 34.5" and 10.5"
Aaron Lynch 34", 10.25"

Shane Ray at 33" and 9" does fall short of the arm and hand numbers that these guys use.

They are also all 6'4" or taller, which 6'2" also falls short of.

Trent Baalke

"I like long arms. Last year’s draft should tell you that. Length’s important. It’s important in every sport. Aldon Smith, great leverage player because you can’t get to him. He’s 36-inch arm length. All of the guys last year on the D-line were 34 or more. I think it’s an important trait.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Shane Ray participated in his Pro Day where his injury was still goin to have a significant negative impact on his performance he should fire his agent.

The truth is no one participates in a Pro Day unless they are healthy enough to put close to their numbers up.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I believe the magic number for arm length in SF is 34" and hand size is 10". I belive McCoughan started that and Baalke has carried it forward.

Aldon Smith, 35" and 9 3/4"
Tank Carradine, 35" and 10"
Corey Lemonier, 34.5" and 10.5"
Aaron Lynch 34", 10.25"

Shane Ray at 33" and 9" does fall short of the arm and hand numbers that these guys use.

They are also all 6'4" or taller, which 6'2" also falls short of.

Then Beasley will automatically be wiped from the board as he has 32.5" arms and same height as Ray. Ray at least has over 33" arms making hhim and Fowler long enough and obviously Gregory has the ideal length.

Svic

Liked Posts:
That pro day was terrible. Like I said. I dont see his "amazing" tape. He just doesn't jump out on tape like you all say. I would take Gregory and his weed over ray.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Terrell Suggs: 6 x Pro Bowls, 1 x DROY, 1 x DPOY, 1 x Super Bowl, 106 career sacks

6'3" 257lbs

40yd dash
4.84 (4.9 at his Pro Day)

Short Shuttle

Broad Jump
9'

Vertical
32 1/2"

Bench
19 reps

Arm Length
32"

Hands
8 7/8"

“I remember driving back to the hotel and calling Ozzie [Newsome] and saying, We’re going to have a shot at this guy at 10,” Savage says. “It worked out for us because we knew we wanted him, and the last vision everybody had of him was him not running fast.”

The amount of stupidity on this forum is simply staggering at times.

Svic

Liked Posts:
How can you compare Suggs to Ray... Ray relies on his "godly first step". While Suggs is a relentless monster who uses power to eat tackles and guards... Not even the same people unless you think them having disappointing combines makes them similar...

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
How can you compare Suggs to Ray... Ray relies on his "godly first step". While Suggs is a relentless monster who uses power to eat tackles and guards... Not even the same people unless you think them having disappointing combines makes them similar...

What planet are you from and how long have you been on Earth? Suggs was regarded as an undersized speed rusher (rumors were he played as light as 220lbs at ASU) who lacked power (19 reps) heading into the draft. His workout hurt him because scouts convinced themselves he also didn't have the speed/explosion to win at the pro level, either. But the Ravens knew better, because they watched the fucking tape.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Here is the process of coming to this conclusion.

1. Deciphering which of all the OLB/pass rushers the Bears like - With some reading and watching into what Pace said at the press conference, two things stuck out to me when he was talking about OLB/pass rushers. The first thing was, all he wants his OLB to do is be able to rush the passer, set the edge and cover in the flat with the latter being the least important. The only guys who can do all 3 of those things are Fowler and Ray. Gregory is no longer an option with the drug test and Beasely while possibly the most polished pass rusher, can't set the edge like the other two. Between Fowler and Ray, Ray is obviously the better pass rusher having a better first step and has the production to show for it. Ray's arms are long enough (33+inches) and Ray checks off a lot of the other boxes as well like character, attitude, motor and production.

On the field, Ray plays with an alpha mentality. He plays violent, chasing the ball carrier and rushing the passer like every snap is his last. Off the field, he is a little more soft spoken but still displays confidence and a team first approach. He had a troubled past but has come through it and uses it on the field. Aldon Smith who was one of Fangio's centerpiece's in SF, played a very similar role to Shane Ray in college. Both played DE and 3 tech pre-dominantly at the University of Missouri with their hand in the dirt on almost every down. Pace puts a lot more emphasis on game tape than combine numbers and when you watch each of these pass rushers, I fail to see how you cannot say that Shane Ray is the guy who stands out on tape. Other than maybe Dante Fowler, I don't think anybody checks off the boxes like Shane Ray does.

- Game tape/production - check
- Elite get off - check
- High motor - check
- Character - check
- Arm length - check

2. Where does he rank among the rest of the players at other positions?

The other thing Pace said is that he places a premium on pass rushers. You can never have enough. I am sure that Fox and Fangio agree with that statement. He said that if the pass rusher they like is on the board at #7 there is no doubt they will pick him. He also talked about the depth at the WR position which leads me to believe that in a toss up between a guy like Amari Cooper and Shane Ray...Ray will be the name called.

The Bears have 1 maybe 2 pass rushers they like and if they are there at #7 I believe they will go in that direction when you look at the coaches influence. If not, I think a guy like Amari Cooper will then become an option with our pick.

well im glad you think gregorys drug test makes him undraftable, I just hope pace isn't that silly to rule out a guy because he smoked some herb. you do realize pace just signed McDonald right? so I mean I don't think some off the field bud removes him from pace's big board if pace has him ranked "high"

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
What planet are you from and how long have you been on Earth? Suggs was regarded as an undersized speed rusher (rumors were he played as light as 220lbs at ASU) who lacked power (19 reps) heading into the draft. His workout hurt him because scouts convinced themselves he also didn't have the speed/explosion to win at the pro level, either. But the Ravens knew better, because they watched the fucking tape.
He's right about Suggs as it pertains to his NFL game. He's put a lot of weight on since college.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
well im glad you think gregorys drug test makes him undraftable, I just hope pace isn't that silly to rule out a guy because he smoked some herb. you do realize pace just signed McDonald right? so I mean I don't think some off the field bud removes him from pace's big board if pace has him ranked "high"

The issue with Gregory is not that he smoked once, or even smoked occasionally, but that he admitted to smoking chronically and that he was psychologically dependent on marijuana to help him cope with stress. He admitted that it was a struggle to wake up and not smoke pot. But now he's a changed man, of course. Magic!

If anyone is dumb enough to believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you. Or rather, Randy Gregory does.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
The issue with Gregory is not that he smoked once, or even smoked occasionally, but that he admitted to smoking chronically and that he was psychologically dependent on marijuana to help him cope with stress. He admitted that it was a struggle to wake up and not smoke pot. But now he's a changed man, of course. Magic!

If anyone is dumb enough to believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

oh trust me I know the story. I just don't see it as a big deal IMO. that team the ravens you were talking about earlier, and how they know what they are doing, are supposedly very interested in Gregory now that they think he might slip to them in the first round. because they again, just look at the damn film and if you can ball then they want you. suggs would be a great teacher to Gregory on top of it

#BallSoHardU