If he is available, Ray will be the Bears pick at #7

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Vic beasily beat up on FSU line.

Yes, he did. He beat up on Cameron Erving who is a C pressed into playing LT that game. Beasley also got demolished on two critical runs at the end of the game, including the final TD where he completely blew the edge. Where does any of that show up on the stat sheet?

And while we're on the "bumslayer/quality of competition" kick, how many top quality LTs did DeMarcus Ware beat up on at Troy? What about Khalil Mack at Buffalo?

Svic

Liked Posts:
Yes, he did. He beat up on Cameron Erving who is a C pressed into playing LT that game. Beasley also got demolished on two critical runs at the end of the game, including the final TD where he completely blew the edge. Where does any of that show up on the stat sheet?

And while we're on the "bumslayer/quality of competition" kick, how many top quality LTs did DeMarcus Ware beat up on at Troy? What about Khalil Mack at Buffalo?

Yes I agree that did happen. But Khalil mack was dominant every game and so was ware. Once Rays competition kicked up his production dropped. Last 4 games and including the bowl game. He went missing almost. I'm not here to argue about that. I want to see the tape where he was dominant so that if the bears do pick him I feel better about the pick

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Are you sure you're not smoking the reefer? I don't ever recall Donald being projected to fall that far.

Can you read? EARLY n the off-season, he was projected to go late in the 1st-early 2nd round. He climbed boards as draft got nearer and his combine numbers got out.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Can you read? EARLY n the off-season, he was projected to go late in the 1st-early 2nd round. He climbed boards as draft got nearer and his combine numbers got out.

Donald was regarded as a mid-second round pick when the season ended, before demolishing the Senior Bowl and Combine. But anyone who watched his tape knew he was the best DT in the draft and worthy of a top 10 pick.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Who or what team exactly did Gregory light up then?

Numerous times I have seen Gregory go unblocked and then beat the RB coming over to help to get his sack. Against Michigan in 2013 (arguably his biggest game in college with 3 sacks) he gets 1 sack on a botched snap and then another because he goes completely unblocked and beats a RB to get the QB.

I also watched Taylor Lewan lock him up big time in that game. On one play, Lewan dominated him for a good 4-5 seconds while the QB had all day to throw.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Vic beasily beat up on FSU line. He played a lot better talent than Ray did. I just don't see it in ray. I'm not bashing your opinion of him and I am not saying you are wrong. I just want you to show me the tape where you see him special against quality line or prospect. And wasn't one of the sacks vs Florida is when the QB held on to the ball and tried to run and ray was laying on his stomach when he grabbed the QB ny his ankle and dropped him? I want to like him as much you do polar but I want to see the tape. I'll take ray. Just not at 7.

Please name the "better talent" that Beasley played compared to Ray...

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
ive been saying that for months now. his sacks all came against bottom feeders and teams with bad offensive lines. against good offensive lines like bama and Georgia he did nothing at all. ray is overrated IMO

You realize Ray was in the backfield all day against Bama before he was ejected for smoking Blake Sims before the half on a "targeting" call.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just don't like the guy. Seems like a douchebag.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Just watched every snap in the Florida game on youtube. Ray looked bad...

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Just watched Dupree against Florida he looked even worse. The more and more i see these OLB/ DE the more i feel like we are drafting offense.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just watched Dupree against Florida he looked even worse. The more and more i see these OLB/ DE the more i feel like we are drafting offense.

I actually couldn't figure out how Florida LT DJ Humphries was so lightly regarded coming into the draft.

I thought is had great games against Ray and Dupree.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Watch the South Carolina tape.

The problem with that is the South Carolina LT will probably be drafted in the 6th or 7th round.

DJ Humphries of Florida will probably go in round 1 and is a much better gage of NFL talent.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
The problem with that is the South Carolina LT will probably be drafted in the 6th or 7th round.

DJ Humphries of Florida will probably go in round 1 and is a much better gage of NFL talent.

And he beat him for 2 sacks...I don't care what downs they are on. You expect good pass rushers to make those plays and he did. Passing down or not.

Svic

Liked Posts:
And he beat him for 2 sacks...I don't care what downs they are on. You expect good pass rushers to make those plays and he did. Passing down or not.

One doesn't really count... The QB was holding on to to the ball and ray was laying on his stomach and QB kind of ran into him. The first one he did flat out beat Humphries.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
One doesn't really count... The QB was holding on to to the ball and ray was laying on his stomach and QB kind of ran into him. The first one he did flat out beat Humphries.

I'd like to see that sack, because I watched the Florida game and no such play occurred. Please post a link.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
I see the same thing I saw in Aaron Donald last season when he was projected to be a 2nd round pick early in the off-season and I was everyone he was going to climb the board and that he was gonna be a stud.

It's simple, he is a playmaker. He is constantly in the backfield, being disruptive and around the ball making plays. When you put the tape on, #56 is everywhere.

How am I seeing things nobody else is when there are guys getting paid to grade these kids who see the exact same things as I do. Why is he projected to go in the first as high as #3 in some people's eyes?

I gave you all facts, he has an elite first step, a high motor, alpha mentality, good arm length, good guy off the field and high level college production against some of the toughest talent in the country in the SEC.

Can't dispute any of that.

I like you Polar but comparing Ray to Aaron Donald is waaaay off. Donald had elite production in college over 3 years and had one of the best combines ever showing that he was an elite athlete but also a football player. Ray has had 1 year as a starter and a weak pro day. The knock on Donald was he was thought to be too small but he was freakishly strong. Ray is undersized and not very strong for his position and it is yet to be seen if he still has the elite first step you speak of with the added 20 pounds since the end of the season. About 95 % of the CCS wanted Donald last year and I only see a few guys who like Ray. No comparing the two situations or players.

Also these things you say are facts, "he has an elite first step, a high motor, alpha mentality, good arm length," are really opinions depending on who is doing the evaluating. It is important to point out that these evaluators are probably on the agents payroll to hype players as well so I don't put all my stock into them. This is the reason why you have teams pass on guys that were hyped by the media experts.

Regardless, we both want the same thing and that's for the Bears to pick a great player at 7. Cheers.