If he is available, Ray will be the Bears pick at #7

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Here is the process of coming to this conclusion.

1. Deciphering which of all the OLB/pass rushers the Bears like - With some reading and watching into what Pace said at the press conference, two things stuck out to me when he was talking about OLB/pass rushers. The first thing was, all he wants his OLB to do is be able to rush the passer, set the edge and cover in the flat with the latter being the least important. The only guys who can do all 3 of those things are Fowler and Ray. Gregory is no longer an option with the drug test and Beasely while possibly the most polished pass rusher, can't set the edge like the other two. Between Fowler and Ray, Ray is obviously the better pass rusher having a better first step and has the production to show for it. Ray's arms are long enough (33+inches) and Ray checks off a lot of the other boxes as well like character, attitude, motor and production.

On the field, Ray plays with an alpha mentality. He plays violent, chasing the ball carrier and rushing the passer like every snap is his last. Off the field, he is a little more soft spoken but still displays confidence and a team first approach. He had a troubled past but has come through it and uses it on the field. Aldon Smith who was one of Fangio's centerpiece's in SF, played a very similar role to Shane Ray in college. Both played DE and 3 tech pre-dominantly at the University of Missouri with their hand in the dirt on almost every down. Pace puts a lot more emphasis on game tape than combine numbers and when you watch each of these pass rushers, I fail to see how you cannot say that Shane Ray is the guy who stands out on tape. Other than maybe Dante Fowler, I don't think anybody checks off the boxes like Shane Ray does.

- Game tape/production - check
- Elite get off - check
- High motor - check
- Character - check
- Arm length - check

2. Where does he rank among the rest of the players at other positions?

The other thing Pace said is that he places a premium on pass rushers. You can never have enough. I am sure that Fox and Fangio agree with that statement. He said that if the pass rusher they like is on the board at #7 there is no doubt they will pick him. He also talked about the depth at the WR position which leads me to believe that in a toss up between a guy like Amari Cooper and Shane Ray...Ray will be the name called.

The Bears have 1 maybe 2 pass rushers they like and if they are there at #7 I believe they will go in that direction when you look at the coaches influence. If not, I think a guy like Amari Cooper will then become an option with our pick.

Svic

Liked Posts:
Please say no to ray. I hated watching all of those mizzou stunts that he got most of his sacks off. If they draft him. I'll trust fangio....but I will not be upset if they skip him.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Please say no to ray. I hated watching all of those mizzou stunts that he got most of his sacks off. If they draft him. I'll trust fangio....but I will not be upset if they skip him.

He did not get "most" of his sacks on stunts, he got nearly all of them on speed rushes to the outside. In fact, he was largely ineffective on stunts because the OT frequently stayed with him as well as the G, to the point that it was frustrating to see him used so much in that regard as it affected his production.

Svic

Liked Posts:
He did not get "most" of his sacks on stunts, he got nearly all of them on speed rushes to the outside. In fact, he was largely ineffective on stunts because the OT frequently stayed with him as well as the G, to the point that it was frustrating to see him used so much in that regard as it affected his production.

I dont see the flash of Ray. There is a reason that as more of his film gets digested. Then more and more other OLBs keeps getting better grades than him.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
OP's rationale seems very reasonable. However, once you get to actually evaluating prospects, everything goes out the window. People seem to see such different things in the tape and there is no telling whether Pace will see the qualities OP identifies in Ray.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
Admittedly didnt read the OP, but Raye should be the pick at 7 if they go edge rusher simply because hes the best in the class.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I dont see the flash of Ray. There is a reason that as more of his film gets digested. Then more and more other OLBs keeps getting better grades than him.

Okay, but not 30 minutes ago you also thought he got most of his sacks on stunts, which just isn't even close to accurate. Ray wouldn't be the first pass rusher who dropped because of an "average" workout and nitpicking tape...*cough* Terrell Suggs *cough*

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:

Better grades from who? Many analysts have him at the top of their boards at this point. Mayock has him as his second OLB behind Fowler as does Zierlein. The majority of mocks still have him as the second or third OLB off the board.

I suggest you actually watch his tape as it is the best of this crop. His instincts are best in class as is his snap anticipation and get off. He has all the traits you look for in a premier pass rusher and the Bears would be lucky to have him.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Ugh to Ray. All the makings of a classic tweener. Too small to play on the line at the pro level. Too ridged to play the OLB spot.

Liked Posts:
I think Beasley is going to be the best pass rusher that comes out of this draft, but Ray is better than anything we have aside from maybe McPhee. If we take him I won't do backflips but I would be OK with it.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not completely sold on Shelton... But if he's there at 7, I have a feeling they'll take him over Ray. And yes, I'm primarily basing that off of current roster depth.

Liked Posts:
I'm not completely sold on Shelton... But if he's there at 7, I have a feeling they'll take him over Ray. And yes, I'm primarily basing that off of current roster depth.

Why? We only really need two adequate NT and with Ratliff and Ego on the roster, there are more pressing needs.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
Why? We only really need two adequate NT and with Ratliff and Ego on the roster, there are more pressing needs.

well,
Ratliff is old and not to durable
and I don't think Ego has that much xp playing nose.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Beasley
Fowler
Ray

I doubt all 3 will be gone in the first 6 picks. Whoever they like, I am cool with. None of us are good enough to tell who of the 3 is the best.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
from all that ive read lately, I think this whole draft hinges on Mariota.
If he is there, Pace will probably take him.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Beasley doesn't need to set an edge. He'll disrupt before he needs to. There's a chance we can get either Fowler or Beasley and I prefer either to Ray. If both are gone, I think we take another spot that fell. I just don't have Ray in my personal top 7 values.