5 Free Agents Still on Bears Radar

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Signing Garza, a locker room-leader, to a contract that makes him almost free to cut is not a "fuck you". Had Emery signed Garza to a 3-year contract worth 15 million guaranteed, now that would be a "fuck you" of epic proportions.

Him still being in the NFL at all is kind of a "fuck you" in and of itself.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
Him still being in the NFL at all is kind of a "fuck you" in and of itself.

Not really, no.

It's obvious that Garza's days as an effective starter are probably over. But he would definitely be a valuable backup.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not really, no.

It's obvious that Garza's days as an effective starter are probably over. But he would definitely be a valuable backup.

Or you can use those backup reps to develop your next starter.

Old backups are useless.

Those are prime reps for a young guy. How much valuable experience did Michael Ola gain last season? How much did the Bears learn about him?

Ola could be a future starter at OG for the Bears.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'll pass on signing former Raiders for awhile.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
Or you can use those backup reps to develop your next starter.

Old backups are useless.

Those are prime reps for a young guy. How much valuable experience did Michael Ola gain last season? How much did the Bears learn about him?

Ola could be a future starter at OG for the Bears.

Of course, Windy. But as it is right now, I don't see us having someone to groom for that C-spot. We might draft one, we might sign some cheap FA. But right now Garza is an okay option.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Garza is not an ok option at C. He was never even average there.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
Garza is not an ok option at C. He was never even average there.

You don't end up starting 176 games in the NFL if you're consistently considered below average. You'd be flushed out of the league before that.

But yea, let's just agree to disagree on this one.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
You don't end up starting 176 games in the NFL if you're consistently considered below average. You'd be flushed out of the league before that.

But yea, let's just agree to disagree on this one.

You have to consider who put him there, and kept him there these past few seasons. But fair enough.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah i made a comment a while back saying we should give K.Long his next contract now before we move him to tackle so we could save some money. lol

CCS is in bad shape if you and I are doing all the thinking!

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
I'd rather let Garza go and sign both DLP and Wiz or sign an UDFA.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
If we can get two then please wiz and Barksdale. Just make their cap hit small this year and big next year when Allen will come off the books and maybe even cutler.
Definitely Wiz, if we can afford him. We already signed giant 325 G Ducasse to a 1-yr.

Bark would be nice, but draft a good G prospect, then play the best of Draft, Ducasse, Garza, Groy, Boffeli... do your cuts. Move Long to RT. Hopefully Slauson comes back healthy. Or we're going to have to dig deeper.

still think emery was trolling when he signed garza to an extension and let de la puente walk. not that de la puente was all that, but he was better than aged garza
DLP is still avl.

It's obvious that he's over the hill, which is expected when you're 36 in this league. But I agree that he's not been such a disaster that some seem to think. I don't want him to start anymore, but I really think he could be a decent backup and mentor for the younger guys. For example, Kyle Long has raved about Garza's impact on his career so far, which makes Garza really valuable - especially if we bring a couple of young O-linemen in (for example Wiz and a rookie).
It's nice to have a backup who you know can replace a guy & get the job done, plus be a mentor. But a younger developing player is a better choice for backup.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
CCS is in bad shape if you and I are doing all the thinking!

Don't worry, I'm still here.

Oh wait...

97840-were-completely-fucked-gif-Det-NAU5.gif

TheDane

Liked Posts:
It's nice to have a backup who you know can replace a guy & get the job done, plus be a mentor. But a younger developing player is a better choice for backup.

I agree that it would be nice to have a developmental guy behind our starter. But I'm not so sure, if that guy is a complete and utter liability in every aspect. Then Garza, who can still get the job done on occasions, is still the better option.

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
Definitely Wiz, if we can afford him. We already signed giant 325 G Ducasse to a 1-yr.

Bark would be nice, but draft a good G prospect, then play the best of Draft, Ducasse, Garza, Groy, Boffeli... do your cuts. Move Long to RT. Hopefully Slauson comes back healthy. Or we're going to have to dig deeper.

DLP is still avl.

DLP must have stuck it to Pace's old lady or something. He was a decent player for the Saints during his time there. You would think that Pace bringing him in would make sense. Pace might have something else up his sleeve, but makes you wonder.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
I'd rather let Garza go and sign both DLP and Wiz or sign an UDFA.

I'm sensing that the Bears are letting BDLP walk. Not sure why. "Dog House?!" He was an adequate Center when he had to fill in last season but struggled as a guard. The Wiz is an upgrade from BDLP.....at the right price. Do yah think that Pace knows a bit about BDLP from his stint in NO.....and "lacks enthusiasm" to resign him even at a veteran Min?!

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
I'm sensing that the Bears are letting BDLP walk. Not sure why. "Dog House?!" He was an adequate Center when he had to fill in last season but struggled as a guard. The Wiz is an upgrade from BDLP.....at the right price. Do yah think that Pace knows a bit about BDLP from his stint in NO.....and "lacks enthusiasm" to resign him even at a veteran Min?!

Seems like Pace isn't the only one not interested in signing BDLP. Makes you wonder, perhaps like Wisnewski, he's injured?

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
I agree that it would be nice to have a developmental guy behind our starter. But I'm not so sure, if that guy is a complete and utter liability in every aspect. Then Garza, who can still get the job done on occasions, is still the better option.

I agree with the bolded part. Sorry I know we agreed to disagree, but I couldn't help myself.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
BDLP put up some film last season at Guard....where he was repeatedly manhandled and unable to pass block against quick penetrating DTs....he also underwhelmed in run blocking........Michael Ola was significantly better as bench depth that could get the job done at multiple positions on short notice. Pace knows this.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
BDLP put up some film last season at Guard....where he was repeatedly manhandled and unable to pass block against quick penetrating DTs....he also underwhelmed in run blocking........Michael Ola was significantly better as bench depth that could get the job done at multiple positions on short notice. Pace knows this.

Guard isn't the issue, unless they really move Long to T. I don't support that if it means holes at C and G, and only potential at T.