What did New Orleans draft well when Pace was on board?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Offensive line for sure and from the 3rd round on... Guys like Evans, Nicks, Bushrod and Armstead were all 3rd round or later. What prospects fit that profile this year?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Those guys are all from small schools too, other than Nicks. Not a lot of small school sleeper types in this OL class.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Those guys are all from small schools too, other than Nicks. Not a lot of small school sleeper types in this OL class.

I guess Marpet isn't a sleeper but he's a nice prospect.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Offensive line for sure and from the 3rd round on... Guys like Evans, Nicks, Bushrod and Armstead were all 3rd round or later. What prospects fit that profile this year?
Pace would have had nothing to do with the draft picks like Evans, Nicks and Bushrod as he was director of pro personnel back then. It would just be the past 2 years that he'd have any say in their drafting.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Pace would have had nothing to do with the draft picks like Evans, Nicks and Bushrod as he was director of pro personnel back then. It would just be the past 2 years that he'd have any say in their drafting.

He was in the draft room and part of the process. He understands the analytics they used to make those picks. I did not suggest Pace made those picks. Stick to the Cutler bashing...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since the Sean Payton era, the Saints have drafted well in the later round. They have pretty much sucked in the first and second rounds.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
If you just want to play pretend, go ahead.

So you're suggesting Pace has no knowledge of the New Orleans' draft process prior to two years ago? That's just ludicrous. He may not have had input but he knows what transpired. To suggest otherwise is just plain ignorance. Interesting that he mentioned in his first presser that his philosophy on drafting BPA is based on the Sullivan reach.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:

While Pace was surely involved through the years you are right it would appear he had far more input the past two seasons. Kenny Stills was a nice late round selection in that timeframe, Cooks was a good selection in the first. Vacarro was also a solid first round choice. Armstead was a nice 3rd round pick and the Saints didn't have a second that year.

Last year's second round selection of Stanley Jean-Baptiste could be promising as could Khairi Fortt in the 4th. The saints didn't have a 3rd round pick last year. Overall tough to gauge as he didn't have the final say on selections but those would be the players to look at as he did have more input those years.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
While Pace was surely involved through the years you are right it would appear he had far more input the past two seasons. Kenny Stills was a nice late round selection in that timeframe, Cooks was a good selection in the first. Vacarro was also a solid first round choice. Armstead was a nice 3rd round pick and the Saints didn't have a second that year.

Last year's second round selection of Stanley Jean-Baptiste could be promising as could Khairi Fortt in the 4th. The saints didn't have a 3rd round pick last year. Overall tough to gauge as he didn't have the final say on selections but those would be the players to look at as he did have more input those years.

1) Vacarro a solid first round choice? He was benched at some point last season due to horrible play. He definitely has the potential to be a good safety, but so far that pick hasn't worked out completely for the Saints.

2) Stanley Jean-Baptiste has intriguing size, yes. But a 2nd round-CB that only ends up playing eight snaps in his rookie year (no injury) for a team with secondary issues is not promising.

3) When mentioning Fortt as "promising" you're shooting yourself in the foot. He was waived by the Saints early in the season, and as far as I know, he's already on his third team in the NFL.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
1) Vacarro a solid first round choice? He was benched at some point last season due to horrible play. He definitely has the potential to be a good safety, but so far that pick hasn't worked out completely for the Saints.

2) Stanley Jean-Baptiste has intriguing size, yes. But a 2nd round-CB that only ends up playing eight snaps in his rookie year (no injury) for a team with secondary issues is not promising.

3) When mentioning Fortt as "promising" you're shooting yourself in the foot. He was waived by the Saints early in the season, and as far as I know, he's already on his third team in the NFL.

I know Vacarro got benched for being a bit reckless but yes I consider him a solid first round choice and he has played well when on the field.

Everyone knew Baptiste was going to need development so yes I stand by the fact he could be promising.

I didn't know Fortt was released, he was a guy I liked coming out of college so my bad maybe he wasn't deemed promising.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
I know Vacarro got benched for being a bit reckless but yes I consider him a solid first round choice and he has played well when on the field.

Everyone knew Baptiste was going to need development so yes I stand by the fact he could be promising.

I didn't know Fortt was released, he was a guy I liked coming out of college so my bad maybe he wasn't deemed promising.

Fair enough.

I'm just thankful that we weren't the ones that drafted Jean-Baptiste that high. Sometimes teams get a bit too excited about size and speed, and forget to look at the tape, which I don't think was impressive at all in his case.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Pace may or may not have had a say on drafts, but that's not what he was in New Orleans for.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Pace may or may not have had a say on drafts, but that's not what he was in New Orleans for.

You guys crack me up. My point is he was involved in all aspects of player evaluation and completely understands the metrics the Saints used while drafting. Do you think their young executive star was told to be quiet and go sit in the corner during the draft process? He knows exactly why they picked Evans, Bushrod, Nicks and Armstead as well as every other player drafted during his time there. If not, why the hell would the Bears turn over the job to him?

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/staff/ryan-pace/5cd77f69-e394-4826-b7e4-f634b1a2733a

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Fair enough.

I'm just thankful that we weren't the ones that drafted Jean-Baptiste that high. Sometimes teams get a bit too excited about size and speed, and forget to look at the tape, which I don't think was impressive at all in his case.

hasn't pace said since joining the bears that he is more of a "on the tape" kind of guy as opposed to the combine warrior types?

TheDane

Liked Posts:
hasn't pace said since joining the bears that he is more of a "on the tape" kind of guy as opposed to the combine warrior types?

Yup, and I certainly hope that he is.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
You guys crack me up. My point is he was involved in all aspects of player evaluation and completely understands the metrics the Saints used while drafting. Do you think their young executive star was told to be quiet and go sit in the corner during the draft process? He knows exactly why they picked Evans, Bushrod, Nicks and Armstead as well as every other player drafted during his time there. If not, why the hell would the Bears turn over the job to him?

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/staff/ryan-pace/5cd77f69-e394-4826-b7e4-f634b1a2733a

So what is your point? Even if he was involved in the process and has knowledge of the process doesn't mean he was a decision maker or influencer in all aspects of the process.