Big cuts are made

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
There isn't a perfect solution. Bryant isn't a great fit at 3B and Schwarber isn't a great fit at catcher and of places they might play all they have is LF with Rizzo and Soler locked up at 1B and RF. They can't both play there. Positionally having a catcher that can do what Schwarber can do is an incredible plus. Potentially he could be the best hitting catcher in the game. I don't know the answers bu they're nice problems to have and these things have a way of working themselves out.

Someone is getting traded. That I can guarantee

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Yeah, there's really no way around it and it will probably be a good player which is hard for fans to accept.

True! But the return should be just as good a la the Ramirez-Mota--Sanchez deal for Josh Beckett and Lowell which helped Theo win a WS. The similarities are that the Cubs are kinda in the same position whereas they don't have to trade now, but in a couple of years, these players will be primed for a trade for a really good player(s) or pitcher(s).

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah, there's really no way around it and it will probably be a good player which is hard for fans to accept.

With another season like the last Schwarber is probably approaching a similar value to Hosmer/Smoak even if you just view him as a LF/1B only. They were both top 15 prospects in BA's top 100. Smoak plus a 24 year old 2B in AA, and a former first round pitcher who was Texas' 17th best prospect netted a 31 year old Cliff Lee. If we assume Bryant is the answer in LF which appears to be where this is going, that Schwarber isn't a C and that Rizzo is healthy/good then people really should be fine with losing him. He's almost assuredly going to be the big piece in a trade to net pitching. And if you consider the fact most people wanted pitching instead of him to begin with it's turned into a far safer way of acquiring said pitching.

For example, if we look at the best pitchers from the draft you had Aiken who just had TJ. You also had Hoffman who had it prior to the draft. You have Kolek who's at least 3 seasons away. You have Rodon who's probably a year away and likely who'd have been the safest choice. Nola is also pretty safe but lacks some upside. Same can be said with Freeland. That's not to say that either is bad but they are probably more #3/4's than #1's. There's number of pitching heavy teams that lack long term 1B solutions. The Rays, Rockies, M's, Marlins, and Pirates all have looming questions there. He'd also be able to DH nicely for AL teams. Even if all you get is a solid #2 out of him given the issues the above guys have already had that's not bad when you also consider he allowed you to over slot Cease and Sands.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Close to two moths is more then a streak. From middle of may on last year, Baez killed AAA pitching.
A month and a half is a streak. A month and a half doesn't keep someone in the show.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
With another season like the last Schwarber is probably approaching a similar value to Hosmer/Smoak even if you just view him as a LF/1B only. They were both top 15 prospects in BA's top 100. Smoak plus a 24 year old 2B in AA, and a former first round pitcher who was Texas' 17th best prospect netted a 31 year old Cliff Lee. If we assume Bryant is the answer in LF which appears to be where this is going, that Schwarber isn't a C and that Rizzo is healthy/good then people really should be fine with losing him. He's almost assuredly going to be the big piece in a trade to net pitching. And if you consider the fact most people wanted pitching instead of him to begin with it's turned into a far safer way of acquiring said pitching.

For example, if we look at the best pitchers from the draft you had Aiken who just had TJ. You also had Hoffman who had it prior to the draft. You have Kolek who's at least 3 seasons away. You have Rodon who's probably a year away and likely who'd have been the safest choice. Nola is also pretty safe but lacks some upside. Same can be said with Freeland. That's not to say that either is bad but they are probably more #3/4's than #1's. There's number of pitching heavy teams that lack long term 1B solutions. The Rays, Rockies, M's, Marlins, and Pirates all have looming questions there. He'd also be able to DH nicely for AL teams. Even if all you get is a solid #2 out of him given the issues the above guys have already had that's not bad when you also consider he allowed you to over slot Cease and Sands.

Schwarber is untouchable. The Cubs are as high on him as they are on Bryant, if not higher. Bernstein had an interesting anecdote about this a few weeks ago; said he texted someone high in the Cubs org to take their temperature on Schwarber, and got a three word response: Babe Fucking Ruth. Also said that the Cubs go out of their way not to publicly talk about how much they like him, because they don't even want teams inquiring about him.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Schwarber is untouchable. The Cubs are as high on him as they are on Bryant, if not higher. Bernstein had an interesting anecdote about this a few weeks ago; said he texted someone high in the Cubs org to take their temperature on Schwarber, and got a three word response: Babe Fucking Ruth. Also said that the Cubs go out of their way not to publicly talk about how much they like him, because they don't even want teams inquiring about him.

There are some people that think Schwarber is a better hitter than Bryant. :yep:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

That's all fine and well but unless Bryant is your 3B he's got no where to fucking play unless by some miracle he's actually a half decent catcher. Given they aggressively went after defense at C this offseason it seems highly unlikely they'd be willing to skimp there for his bat. And keep in mind I like Schwarber a lot..... like a really lot. If you were to dig up my prospect analysis thing I did post draft you'll see I mentioned some rather scary names with him.

Whether or not Bryant plays 3B isn't exactly a given. For one, if Olt plays well you almost assuredly want him there given his glove and the fact he's not a FA until 2020. Even if he doesn't play well there's no guarantee that Bryant isn't a liability there. And even if those two issue are resolved you're then talking about Russell who's a top 5 prospect himself as another likely 3B option.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

OMG please stop and never entertain that thought or listen to anyone who entertains that thought

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont even think the Cubs draft Schwarber if Hoffman doesnt get injured. Shit, the year before they dont draft Bryant from what I read if Appel fell to them.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I dont even think the Cubs draft Schwarber if Hoffman doesnt get injured. Shit, the year before they dont draft Bryant from what I read if Appel fell to them.

Not sure I buy either case. Not because they *loved* Bryant/Schwarber but rather Theo historically doesn't draft a pitcher with his first pick. It happened all of twice IIRC in Boston one of which was a 2nd round pick as they didn't have a first round. It's why I'm not certain they will draft pitching this coming draft.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure I buy either case. Not because they *loved* Bryant/Schwarber but rather Theo historically doesn't draft a pitcher with his first pick. It happened all of twice IIRC in Boston one of which was a 2nd round pick as they didn't have a first round. It's why I'm not certain they will draft pitching this coming draft.

The Cubs were drafting Appel if he fell to them. Schwarber was on no ones radar and Hoffman was heavily scouted. These arent HS pitchers. These were college pitchers. They specifically drafted Schwarber to draft pitching they knew would have to overslot. It was their gameplan when the top of the line pitchers were not there.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let me rephrase with Bryant. Bryant was going 1 or 2. Appel was going 1 or 2. So, it was either or they were getting. I dont believe Gray was their choice. I dont know who they had above the other on their board.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Or untradeable or Ruth
To be fair he might be able to match Ruth in drinking beer and eating hot dogs...

In all my years as a fan (over 40), i don't think ive ever heard a ball player ever being compared to being like Babe fricken Ruth, let alone a kid who just completed A ball...

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
The Cubs were drafting Appel if he fell to them. Schwarber was on no ones radar and Hoffman was heavily scouted. These arent HS pitchers. These were college pitchers. They specifically drafted Schwarber to draft pitching they knew would have to overslot. It was their gameplan when the top of the line pitchers were not there.

Not at all, imo. The Cubs didn't want to take a chance on any pitchers during their rebuild. A young arm is the biggest question mark. However, young bats are going to translate much better, especially in a league that the offense is down, and scoring runs and hitting is at a premium.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not at all, imo. The Cubs didn't want to take a chance on any pitchers during their rebuild. A young arm is the biggest question mark. However, young bats are going to translate much better, especially in a league that the offense is down, and scoring runs and hitting is at a premium.

They have said that they would draft pitching in the first round if the talent was right They dont draft on priority. They would absolutely draft a pitcher and would have drafted Appel if Bryant was chosen first. Last year there were 4 prospects above the rest by a good margin. That was Aiken, Kolek, Rodon, and Hoffman. Hoffman has TJ so he went out of the window. None of the rest fell to them so they went with a guaranteed below slot player. This allowed them to go get more high end arms later in the draft because they would have money to sign them. There was no doubt in my mind that Rodon fell to the Cubs. They would have drafted him in a heartbeat.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

You're right but I've also heard that if Schwarber had a natural position he would have been drafted much earlier. He was considered a DH type that could play 1B in a pinch. Now some scouts actually have rethought that and find him surprisingly athletic for his frame. It's all a crapshoot but when you watch him swing, even on TV, you do see what's special. I get a chance to see him live next weekend finally.