Big cuts are made

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Alcantara is plus D at 2B. There should be no reason to not start him. SS Castro rarely takes a day off but on those days Herrera has enough ML inning behind him there to get a day or 2 per month if that. Major injury to Castro then I doubt they let Javi sit in AAA.

I'm seeing a line up of:

Fowler
Coghlan
Soler
Rizzo
Castro
Montero
Olt
Lester
Alcantara

Opening day. I expect Lester getting a PH as they are not going to push him deep with his issues this spring. LaStella would be that guy with Wainwright on the hill.

This line up I expect for a while. Szczur subbing in on days with a LH on the hill. About the biggest change. I see Olt playing every day.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Barry Rozner was talking about how they just plain don't think he could play there and I've heard that before. That was the reason a lot of people thought Baez would stick. With the work Javy needs didn't seem like a very good reason to me.

I'm not saying Alcantara should be an every day starter at SS but you were talking about needing a guy essentially for a short injury. If Castro goes to the DL they almost assuredly call up Baez regardless. Anything less than 15 days you're really only talking about 12 games usually anyways maybe less. It's unlikely that any player will make that much of a difference in that short of time. I mean the best players are saving 10-15 runs over 150 games so even if Alcantara is a -15 UZR guy at SS you're talking about him costing you basically 1-2 runs over that frame.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ive repeated read his throws are pretty awful from short. His throws from center are pretty awful as well. Thats something he has to work on with his bat. He has quickness and can get to balls, but if you arent accurate throwing it then it doesnt matter. The Cubs are valuing defense with Maddon. He isnt going to want to throw someone out there for a couple of days and hope he doesnt fuck up. Its not a big deal because a catcher is going sooner or later and then they will add to the bench. They are able to get away with 3 catchers cause we have some versatile players on the bench. When Bryant and Baez come back up, the roster is going to have to change.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Did i miss something on Castro? Why the worry for a back up SS now ? I bet both Baez and Bryant will be up by end of month and either Castillo gets traded or Ross will have a mysterious injury and put on DL...

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did i miss something on Castro? Why the worry for a back up SS now ? I bet both Baez and Bryant will be up by end of month and either Castillo gets traded or Ross will have a mysterious injury and put on DL...

Its not a worry, but it was brought up in an article and Im guessing someone here read it. I read a lot of random thoughts on here. lol

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Its not a worry, but it was brought up in an article and Im guessing someone here read it. I read a lot of random thoughts on here. lol
Gotcha. ..lol

@CarrieMuskat: It's down to Sweeney vs Szczur vs Herrera for final 2 spots. Denorfia likely to open on DL. Coghlan day to day now. #Cubs

I dont think Herrera makes it....

Sweeney makes it by default because he a LH bat ..

Szczur earned it....

They have to make a deal or 2 to clean up the Bench with 2 Catchers and especially when Donorfio, Bryant, and Baez comes back...

Pissed that Jackson coming north over better options in Grimm and Schlitter. ...

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Everyone is assuming Baez will be coming back. :fap: :fap:

He has a lot of stuff to work out and may never get the call up.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

I think he'll be back, might not be soon though. I would bet on Russell coming up before he does.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

A lot of people are declaring Alcantara a main stay which is far from a given.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I miss Fisch. He only drops in to slack every now and then

chibears55

Liked Posts:

What alot of stuff ? Not swinging and missing too much

He going to Iowa, he most likely tears it up there again for a month or so... what else is there to keep him down ?

Point is, i think he shown he could hit AAA pitching pretty well..
They eventually need to bring him back up to see if he able to adjust and hit major league pitching. ..

Russell 21 YO, with plenty of good IFers already on team this year
I just dont see the Cubs bringing him up this year..

I think he gets the Bryant treatment, stays in Iowa all year and comes up late April to get an extra Full year on him...

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

He going to Iowa, he most likely tears it up there again for a month or so... what else is there to keep him down ?

They eventually need to bring him back up to see if he able to adjust and hit major league pitching. ..

I think he gets the Bryant treatment, stays in Iowa all year and comes up late April to get an extra Full year on him...

I think they'd like to leave Russell down but I think the Cubs will need a bat if they're anywhere near contention. It could be Baez but I think Russell is more likely. He'll stay past his super 2 date in June but if he's tearing it up I don't see how they keep him down Boras or no.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think they'd like to leave Russell down but I think the Cubs will need a bat if they're anywhere near contention. It could be Baez but I think Russell is more likely. He'll stay past his super 2 date in June but if he's tearing it up I don't see how they keep him down Boras or no.
If they would need a bat, it most likely be a bench player of whom they would trade for..

I dont see any positions where Russell in July, Aug, or Sept would take over and make that big of a difference this year...

They kept both Baez in 2013 and Bryant in 2014 down while tearing it up, their likely to do the same for a 21 YO Russell in AAA for the first time with them..

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
If they would need a bat, it most likely be a bench player of whom they would trade for..

I dont see any positions where Russell in July, Aug, or Sept would take over and make that big of a difference this year...

They kept both Baez in 2013 and Bryant in 2014 down while tearing it up, their likely to do the same for a 21 YO Russell in AAA for the first time with them..

It's a contention year which makes it different, plus Maddon loves him. He'll be at 2B or 3B by July.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It's a contention year which makes it different, plus Maddon loves him. He'll be at 2B or 3B by July.
If their contending come july , id bet the 3Bmen and 2Bmen would be having pretty good years and part of reason their contending to not lose their job to a rookie being brought up mid season. .

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

With the talent we have, Russell doesn't trump anyone so the Cubs would be hard pressed not to play the time card. Unless the Cubs trade out, I see nowhere where they are going to rush Russell. The Cubs don't have one bat in the minors. They have a plethora. Russell would not be top priority. Also, Russell bat is not a proven game changer. I think he has less power then people perceive and he isn't pushing castro off short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

The only way Baez comes up is if a couple of players get injured. A month is not going to be enough. It may be more like the last few months of the year at best.

I could actually see Russell coming up before Baez if 3B and/or 2B doesn't work out for a couple of guys. If Russell outperforms Baez as someone said, he may not get the call up.

Baez has a lot of proving to do with the bat. His discipline has to be drastically improved. This FO is not going to take free swingers IMO, especially when they are preaching OBP.