IST: Cubs vs Cards at wrigley

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Its not true now. I know you were saying it tongue and cheek, but elaborating on that. If you can play SS, you can play any position on the field. Catcher would be the only one I wouldn't say that about. SS is the hardest position to play on the field except catcher. Rizzo is great at first. He cant play short. Olt the same. Fowler, all of them. Also, Castro made big strides last year on D. He gets crucified for his past more then his present.

No one is crucifying him. However, he makes some bullshit errors at the wrong time quite often. That error today was horrible, imo. He let the ball short hop him by not charging the ball. This is a basic fundamental, very much like his poor base running skills.

I expect him to get better at this shit if he wants to be on a championship caliber team. At some point, imo, he will either improve or become trade bait, imo. Maddon will not let him to continue nonchalant defense.

I was also thinking long term when Russell does come up. He will have to play somewhere, and imo, he will play SS. That means Castro will be moved for the betterment of the team. I'm assuming that Baez will also eventually get his shit together hopefully.

At that point, Castro will most certainly be the worst defender. It also looks like Bryant will move to LF eventually as well. The odd man out, imo, is Castro in the long term, but for now, I would just like to see him play better defensively as well as run the bases better. I Love his offensive game, which is why it's so frustrating. :yep:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Poster on other page saying Russell will come up quick which I assume he meant for short because they were talking about Castro error.

Re-read the post....It was me and I was refering to James Russell who the Cubs just picked up for the Iowa staff coming up as a second lefty in the pen. Maddon really needs a 2nd left hander the way he uses his staff.

I'm a Castro guy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
No one is crucifying him. However, he makes some bullshit errors at the wrong time quite often. That error today was horrible, imo. He let the ball short hop him by not charging the ball. This is a basic fundamental, very much like his poor base running skills.

I expect him to get better at this shit if he wants to be on a championship caliber team. At some point, imo, he will either improve or become trade bait, imo. Maddon will not let him to continue nonchalant defense.

I was also thinking long term when Russell does come up. He will have to play somewhere, and imo, he will play SS. That means Castro will be moved for the betterment of the team. I'm assuming that Baez will also eventually get his shit together hopefully.

At that point, Castro will most certainly be the worst defender. It also looks like Bryant will move to LF eventually as well. The odd man out, imo, is Castro in the long term, but for now, I would just like to see him play better defensively as well as run the bases better. I Love his offensive game, which is why it's so frustrating. :yep:

Theo and Jed did let teams know he would be available last off season. I for one am glad they did not pull the trigger yet. Russell is a few months out and Baez is hit or miss right now.

You trade when forced to not before.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/04/nl-notes-papelbon-kimbrel-padres-castro.html

Also Jed said that they want Bryant at 3B. http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cub...cast-jed-hoyer-hopes-kris-bryant-sticks-at-3b

WrigleyvilleTimes

Paul Sigrist
Liked Posts:
Baez is the best trade candidate from the view of a risk/reward analysis. His exceptional power playing at 2B means he only needs to put up between a .260 - .270 OBP to be a + WAR player. However, because of his severe lack of plate discipline he will not reach his peak performance years as early as a typical 2B does (age 27). Baez will most likely reach his peak performance years later (age 29 - 30) as he needs to mature to acquire the plate discipline. This makes Baez's peak performance window far more condensed than the average 2B. Instead of having a peak performance age range from 27 - 32, as the average 2B does, Baez will have at least two less years of peak performance. That is if he reaches peak performance at the early end of the range projected (29 - 30). This, at best, only gives a team 3 seasons of Baez at his peak. Granted, his peak has the potential to be better than any of the trio (Castro, Russell, Baez), however a team looking to contend over a pro-longed period of time will want a broader window. Also, if Baez is able to produce 25+ homeruns per season as his ISO makes perfectly clear he can Baez will command a great deal in terms of a contract. Again, front offices would rather have a broader window of peak performance years than overpay for what will become Father Time's calling into a decline in performance.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Theo and Jed did let teams know he would be available last off season. I for one am glad they did not pull the trigger yet. Russell is a few months out and Baez is hit or miss right now.

You trade when forced to not before.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/04/nl-notes-papelbon-kimbrel-padres-castro.html

Also Jed said that they want Bryant at 3B. http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cub...cast-jed-hoyer-hopes-kris-bryant-sticks-at-3b

Well, I'm on record as wanting Brayant at 3B as well, I like his 6'6" at the position myself. However, there will be a logjam eventually. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out. The one sure thing, imo, is Maddon won't tolerate a lot of errors like the one Castro made yesterday.

To me, that play was a lack of effort. He should have been charging the ball from the get go. Your SS should not let that ball short hop him, period, imo. I don't like his ability to read the ball, which makes me wonder how he'd play 2B. He might be better at #B, imo, cuz he'd have less time to think. :dunno:

Like I said, not trying to shit on Castro, but he needs to clean this stuff up. Hopefully, a winning atmosphere changes the entire teams effort defensively. For now, Castro had a big hit to get the Cubs going against the Cards. :yep:

WrigleyvilleTimes

Paul Sigrist
Liked Posts:
I've been traveling so I only heard the game. Sounds like he was sharp today. I think he's going to end up being the ace of this staff.

Arrieta had a phenomenal game! According to Pitch (f/x) data, which is clearly limited this quickly, Arrieta threw his pitches with the following frequency:
4-Seam - 14.4%
2-Seam/Sinker - 44.2%
Slider/Cutter - 29.8%
Curveball and Change-up less than 10% each.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glad the Cubs got that first win..the world doesn't have to end for another 24 hours now!

I'm surprised James Russell was available after a good 2014 and a bad spring. I expect to see him back at Wrigley soon either coming out of the bullpen or pissing in cups

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Baez and Russell are both better athletes than Castro. :dunno:

Fox Midwest announcers, which were Dan McLaughlan and Tim McCarver both said that Castro inevitably might be moved to 3B in the future, IF he is still on the team.

Their exact words were that it is a position where he doesn't have to think so much.......so take that for what it's worth.

I know, I know. It's Tim McCarver.

I wonder if Kyle Scwharber is good enough to handle the hot corner if he doesn't stick at catcher? I am sure he has the arm as well as digging skills. Hopefully his feet move well side to side as this would open up a world of opportunities. :popcorn:

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Fox Midwest announcers, which were Dan McLaughlan and Tim McCarver both said that Castro inevitably might be moved to 3B in the future, IF he is still on the team.

Their exact words were that it is a position where he doesn't have to think so much.......so take that for what it's worth.

I wonder if Kyle Scwharber is good enough to handle the hot corner if he doesn't stick at catcher? I am sure he has the arm as well as digging skills. Hopefully his feet move well side to side as this would open up a world of opportunities. :popcorn:

That's exactly what I said. At 3B, the ball will come to him quicker and he won't think so much, but rather react. I wonder how he'll handle the throw, however, as it's different at 3B, imo.

He'd play even deeper at 2B, and I just don't think that he plays the ball well. This is why I think he could be the odd man out. Too bad he can't play LF, that would be perfect, imo.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Someone at Fox should move McCarver out of the broadcast booth for much the reason.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Arrieta had a phenomenal game! According to Pitch (f/x) data, which is clearly limited this quickly, Arrieta threw his pitches with the following frequency:
4-Seam - 14.4%
2-Seam/Sinker - 44.2%
Slider/Cutter - 29.8%
Curveball and Change-up less than 10% each.

I'm not a huge metric guy, but heck of a job on the site, I really like it. :yep:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Seriously doubt it. If you're going to go with a talented hitter who may be questionable there why wouldn't you go with Bryant instead? He's been playing the position. Also, it's entirely plausible that Russell, Castro, and Baez could all end up there as well. That's not to mention the possibility of Olt staying.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Seriously doubt it. If you're going to go with a talented hitter who may be questionable there why wouldn't you go with Bryant instead? He's been playing the position. Also, it's entirely plausible that Russell, Castro, and Baez could all end up there as well. That's not to mention the possibility of Olt staying.

Possibly. But, if the LH bat is needed (which it is), you would have to wonder what player would be better suited, and where?

Bryant is more of a Michael Morse build whereas Schwarber is more in line with Casey McGehee or Olt. I personally would think the shorter guy has the advantage at 3B.

I hope he can stick at catcher because if he doesn't, the Cubs look to have a heck of a logjam coming.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I see you didnt know much about Lester before he signed. He rarely threw to first his whole Red Sox career. The Cubs have never emphasized keeping runners close. It isnt slurping. Its a track record of his and he isnt changing. Also, he flopped? Wow.
The Cubs haven't emphasized "keeping runners close"? From a pitching perspective, its common sense. Even my 13u team understood how to do it. It's a basic of baseball.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
It's one game and his first start...
Im laughing at guys like you who are getting all stupid for lack of a better word and looking to jump off a bridge over it...

his lack of pickoffs hasn't seem to hurt him much over his career, so I dont see his season being successful or unsuccessful based on how many times he throws over to first.. that why im not concerned
Nice hyperbole you have here.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Possibly. But, if the LH bat is needed (which it is), you would have to wonder what player would be better suited, and where?

Bryant is more of a Michael Morse build whereas Schwarber is more in line with Casey McGehee or Olt. I personally would think the shorter guy has the advantage at 3B.

I hope he can stick at catcher because if he doesn't, the Cubs look to have a heck of a logjam coming.

LF is a ideal spot for a LH power hitter on this team. IMO Bryant ends up at 3B with Schwarber playing LF sometime next year.

Even if Baez never gets it together the team will need a 2nd LH power bat.

Fowler
Soler
Rizzo
Bryant
Schwarber

Not a bad start to a line up. I personally hope they extend Fowler. They need his OBA skills.

Now what to do with Russell? Well I expect that to sort out by the deadline. If they are in it they will most likely add a #3 starter and that would cost a key prospect. Sure they could flip Castro for a young arm also. I would expect that if they are under .500 and are looking to open up playing time for Russell.

End of the day is they are going to look at catcher as a D first spot and to this point Kyle has not shown top end skills. IMO if they decide to stick it out it will add 2 years to his ETA just because he is not a top end D catcher.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I doubt seriously that Russell is going anywhere. 2B still needs to be manned. The FO more than likely will be patient with all of this and let them work their way into the line-up.

As far as Fowler, since he is tied to a 1 year deal I believe, don't forget that Denard Span will be available if the Nationals don't re-sign him and he tests free agency. Of course, the Cubs could stand pat and see where Almora goes this year too.

He may start to solve some of the questions if he starts putting back together. As usual, time will tell.