In other news...

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
You can hate Paul all you want...ownership is not committed to winning. If you are surprised by players demanding trades, holding out for renegotiation...well, that is the way it is. The timing is interesting but I have been hearing for a while now that he is disenfranchised with what was happening with the team. They don't want to spend the money it takes to win. So he wants to leave. And KG??? KG toiled year after year with a garbage team. He was extremely loyal to that franchise. Kobe told the Lakers that winning was most important. If they don't surround him with the talent...he was going to leave.

Paul wants to win so bad that once Rondo during a game told him he wouldn't win a championship and Paul waited outside Boston's locker room to confront Rondo. He takes winning seriously. He went to ownership, that is the one thing I thought Kobe did wrong...going to the media. But I don't hate a player for wanting to leave a bad situation.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
didn't paul sign his contract the year after the hornets had that crazy season where they ended up a top seed?

also management traded away the players on that team, made crappy signings, and peja aged.

paul leaving that situation isn't that bad.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
But I don't hate a player for wanting to leave a bad situation.

I don't. I've got no problem with Bosh, LeBron, Boozer & Amare all changing teams this off-season. They did it the right way, they played out their current contracts and then sought a new contract.

But if you sign a contract you play through it. You made a commitment to do that by signing it. If you didn't think you wanted to lock yourself down to one team for that amount of time, sign a shorter contract. Don't be a jerk and start demanding trades half way through.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I don't. I've got no problem with Bosh, LeBron, Boozer & Amare all changing teams this off-season. They did it the right way, they played out their current contracts and then sought a new contract.

But if you sign a contract you play through it. You made a commitment to do that by signing it. If you didn't think you wanted to lock yourself down to one team for that amount of time, sign a shorter contract. Don't be a jerk and start demanding trades half way through.

First and foremost, Paul hasn't demanded anything yet. Secondly, he is obligated to play out his contract. Finally, he is asking, not demanding. So I don't see the problem. Its a player's league. This is not new. If the Hornets are not interested in winning, he has a right to ask to be traded. Right now the team has leverage. As the contract nears its end, he has more leverage. And I still don't get the criticism of Garnett. If he stays in Minnesota, he doesn't have the great 3 years he just had. He would have sunk into obscurity. I applaud his loyalty, but as he stated, it cost him a hefty price in the end.

Signing one year deals in a league that has guaranteed contracts is extremely dumb. Especially when in Paul's situation...

No one seems to have a problem with star players made available for trade halfway through a contract (Carmelo, for instance). How is that fair?

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
I have no problem with Paul wanting out of New Orleans but I'd have to say one thing that I can not stand is players blabbing all about to the media, demanding this or that, & making a total distraction with their "woe is me" attitude. If you want out, tell management, keep it in house, & let the situation play out. Now Paul hasn't specifically come out & said "I demand to be traded!" but he sure as hell has not denied it & now there's a list of teams he wants to be on? But this is the NBA today. It's all about the individual player, not the team, & that's just the way Stern likes it.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
No one seems to have a problem with star players made available for trade halfway through a contract (Carmelo, for instance). How is that fair?

Because trading players under contract is part of the way the game is set up. When you sign your contract you know you could be traded.

The players could lobby against it in the next CBA if they don't like it, certainly there are other sports where you can't trade players under contract without their permission.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
I have no problem with Paul wanting out of New Orleans but I'd have to say one thing that I can not stand is players blabbing all about to the media, demanding this or that, & making a total distraction with their "woe is me" attitude. If you want out, tell management, keep it in house, & let the situation play out. Now Paul hasn't specifically come out & said "I demand to be traded!" but he sure as hell has not denied it & now there's a list of teams he wants to be on? But this is the NBA today. It's all about the individual player, not the team, & that's just the way Stern likes it.

Pretty much along the lines of what I'm saying.

He hasn't come out and said it, because he could be fined if he did that. He's obviously letting it out through "sources" so as to avoid that, so I consider it much the same thing.

As far as I'm concerned if Paul isn't happy, he is within his rights to go to the club and list his grievances. I've got no problem with that. But that's something that should be done behind closed doors, and if they decide they want to trade him, it should be because they think that's the best course, not because of putting pressure on them through the media. And if they don't decide to trade him, he should go out there and play hard and suck it up, as he's under contract to do.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Because trading players under contract is part of the way the game is set up. When you sign your contract you know you could be traded.

The players could lobby against it in the next CBA if they don't like it, certainly there are other sports where you can't trade players under contract without their permission.

So its right for an owner to trade a player wherever...but its immoral for a player to ask to be traded? Makes no damn sense at all to me. He has the right to ask. They have the right to refuse him if they want to. But there is nothing wrong with him asking, especially when in that situation in New Orleans...

Denver recently let it be known through the press that they were open to trading Carmelo...wasn't necessarily done behind closed doors. The media was all over it. I don't see the difference.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
On a different note, Rose scored 15 points in the NBA Showcase today. He also hit his lone 3pt attempt for whatever that's worth. He had 5 steals too and 8 assists. I didn't watch the game or anything, but his numbers look nice. Perhaps that 3 is foreshadowing many to come.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I saw him take that three pointer, it was effortless man...lol. Seriously, it looked like a free throw. He has done serious work, he didn't hesitate. If he can do that Mark Price (am I aging myself here?)stop on a dime 3pt shot thingy Price was so good at...well good lord man! He is going to be something...

That said...Durant is sick!!! The dude is a phenomenon waiting to happen. They are saying he will be the face of the new Dream Team. We might be looking at the new face of the NBA soon. He is that good.

By the way, Rose looked fast, like faster than everybody fast...

Like Jordan on that Lakers vs. Celtics game for Sega Genesis that came out in like 1990 fast! OK, now I really feel old...

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Looks like Mikey might get his wish. I saw on ESPN and now it's on ChicagoNow that the Bulls might sign McGrady. I can only hope that it turns out for the best if they do.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
Yeah, I saw him take that three pointer, it was effortless man...lol. Seriously, it looked like a free throw. He has done serious work, he didn't hesitate. If he can do that Mark Price (am I aging myself here?)stop on a dime 3pt shot thingy Price was so good at...well good lord man! He is going to be something...

That said...Durant is sick!!! The dude is a phenomenon waiting to happen. They are saying he will be the face of the new Dream Team. We might be looking at the new face of the NBA soon. He is that good.

By the way, Rose looked fast, like faster than everybody fast...

Like Jordan on that Lakers vs. Celtics game for Sega Genesis that came out in like 1990 fast! OK, now I really feel old...

That game got me so excited for this season. Not just for Rose & our Bulls sake, but maybe now people will believe me when I say Durant is the 3rd best player in the NBA. Looks like Rose is going to break out this year. I'm going to predict 25ppg 10apg right now.

Oh & Hou, I still play Lakers vs. Celtics & actually have the 1st & 2nd half music as ringtones on my phone. :)

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Well Rose's three was an international three, so not much more distance than the midrange we saw him hitting this year, but still we can hope. I like the fact he got a heap of steals, hopefully he can carry that into the NBA season, with him and Brewer generating turnovers and Deng/Boozer/Noah rebounding everything that's a good recipe for a lot of fast break points.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Apparently Kirk is known as Kurt to all in DC as well. Or at least to Ernie Grunfield. :lol:

I think his name is really Kurt Hinrich...or everyone just fails at saying his name.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
It's OK, we now have Kirk Thomas to replace him.

And now Chris Paul hsa come out of his meeting and said he hopes he plays in NO for a long time. Who knows what's going on there, maybe it's sincere and maybe they came to an agreement if he stops going to the media they'll quietly work the phones. Obviously as a Bulls fan I like him better in NO than Orlando or NY, so lets hope he means it.