Sports, Stats and Science and Cubs Opening Day

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Just started a new blog where I combine my love of sports, stats and my coding skills. I thought that maybe I would either get trolled here or that maybe some of you would appreciate what this blog could one day bring with sabermetrics and other stats.

My intent with this is to try to get more statistically involved and help MLB teams predict outcomes of prospects more and improve their drafting capabilities. This is just an introductory post to present what I am trying to do. Please be gentle :cubs::cubs::cubs:

"As my first post I thought it best to introduce what I am trying to bring here that may separate me from the thousands of other sports blogs. When I was a kid I was a baseball card collector and a stats junkie, and now as an adult I am still a stat junkie and now a computer scientists who can use this data to do things I want to do. So I am going to combine my love of sports, stats and coding on here and hope it can do something for the reader and maybe get me a front office job for a baseball team or other sports team.

I see the Cubs this year and their stadium in the same stage of their building process. The Cubs are past the transition point of selling off their bad parts and are now in the process of seeing new shiny rookies coming to the plate and dazzling us. The Cubs stadium is past the process of the rooftop owners blocking their progress and are now in the process of adding shining new toys as well, like that massive scoreboard and really loud speakers.

There are also going to be some ups and downs as both the team on the field and the field itself works out some kinks. We saw what young guys will look like at times, with Soler having a bad day in the field and being tricked into swinging at pitches outside the box (something he apparently never did in Spring Training). And at the stadium we saw from the outside a great looking visual dedicated to Banks to cover up the construction and on the inside long lines at the bathrooms and concessions and the concessions running out of hot dog buns.

All in all it was a very exciting experience as I watched the game from my brothers place in Wrigleyville and heard the loudspeakers from as far as half a mile away. The excitement this year will far exceed my expectations of what I hope to see. I am not looking for a playoff team, I am simply looking for players to play well, and for some improvements to occur so that we have a playoff team from 2016-2021 and multiple chances to win a World Series. This team is far from complete as is the stadium but it will bring us the experiences of what may happen in the future and that future could be amazing."

https://sportsstatsandscience.wordpress.com/