Vermette

Variable

Liked Posts:
After last nights game it seems like this could be a very physical series. We will see how it plays out but with vermette sitting right now what it does do is keep a fresh guy on the tree to pick if one of the apples on the ice gets fucking squashed. So at least thats something.

I didnt miss him last night and dont know what sort of difference he would have made. Something no one can know. But i had no issues with the forward lines last night overall. Not going to judge last nights game on the first period but rather what happened after it. Was there a forward who stood out as having a bad game after the first period? Not really. Maybe Bickell had a couple fuck up moments but nothing that was costly. The guys that some people wanted sitting for vermette? Versteeg? Had a strong game. Nordstrom? I had no issues with on the 4th line i thought that line played well. Sooooo? Was getting pissy about Qs decision really worth the wasted energy?

They got killed at the dot in that game, would've been nice to at least have him for that. It's never a bad thing to have another defensive center that can win a draw to take at least some of the pressure off Toews. That's was what some people wanted when Kesler was available and were willing to give up Teuvo and a 1st for a year or maybe,maaaaybe 2 years of Kesler.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
They got killed at the dot in that game, would've been nice to at least have him for that. It's never a bad thing to have another defensive center that can win a draw to take at least some of the pressure off Toews. That's was what some people wanted when Kesler was available and were willing to give up Teuvo and a 1st for a year or maybe,maaaaybe 2 years of Kesler.

Ummm.. only 4 people took faceoffs last night. and 3 of them were better than Vermette at the circle this year, and the one who wasn't better than Vermette was Richards who was 56% for the night while the other 3 were in the 30's percentage wise. Toews their best faceoff guy got killed and so did Kruger. How does vermette being on the ice help the faceoff last night exactly?

Variable

Liked Posts:
Ummm... what? Vermette, over his entire career, has been one of the better centers in the league at taking the draw. I'll take that track record over everyone the Hawks have at center besides Toews when it comes to taking face offs.

And I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but Vermette was one percentage point behind Toews this season at the dot. Even if you just want to go on his extremely small sample size of face offs from this season with the Hawks (which doesn't make much sense), when he was actually played at center that is, no one besides Richards was over 50% in that game, which was what Vermette was with the Hawks. You weren't accidentally looking at Nashville's face off stats that game were you?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Over his entire career... Isn't a logical argument for a coaches choice. It's not relevant anymore what he was in Ottawa or Coloumbus. His time at Phoenix may have some barring but he has been the worst of all the centers at the dot for most of his games in Chicago. Vermette was also 5% worse on the Hawks than he was in Phoenix on the dot. That was also boosted by the last 3 games where he may of been getting better at it going back to center but before he was below 47% in his time in Chicago. He was below Richards, who was the best despite being bad in game 1, before those games. If he was out there and Shaw wasn't the Hawks maybe would of won 2-4 more draws but still were likely outclassed in the dot.

People didn't want Kessler to be some defensive center to take pressure of Toews, it's because he's a legitimate quality 2nd line center in all aspects of the game. Vermette wasn't needed to be anything that good or even as some pressure off Toews thing, Kruger already takes the top matchup pairs and did off faceoffs the majority of his draws in game 1 but he lost a lot more faceoffs than usual doing that. Vermette is just really ideal for that 3rd center role to not do much be good for a 3rd line productive player.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I'm getting the numbers from the games he played with chicago. where are you getting his numbers from and why the hell does does his career numbers mean in this context. In his 19 games with the hawks, and the last 19 games he's played he's been exactly 50%... Those are the numbers that matter. Only Richards has been worse than him for the hawks that took a faceoff last night and he was the best on the ice for the hawks last night. Vermette would not have done shit to help them in the dot last night. If Toews and Kruger were pulling in the 30's you'd bet he probably would have too.

Variable

Liked Posts:
Hah, this is ridiculous. We're talking about less than 20 games, some of which he didn't even play at center, and acting like that's what he's always been. Whatever.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Not at all. I just don't think it's sensible to still hang onto "what he's always been" that's not what is relevant at all. I don't think anyone would make that claim about Kimmo or Rozi, because they'd think it's simple and about age. But it applies in general, just base it off what they are being lately.

It's also not like that applies in the goalie case either. Crawford shouldn't get reinserted because he won a cup and jennings two years ago, but because he was so dominant most of this year and was the main starter getting that Jennings Trophy this year. And even in the slump of losses at the end of the year, he was playing great still hardly allowing more than 2 goals a game but the Kaneless offense was doing shit.

Variable

Liked Posts:
Well no one would make that claim about Kimmo or Rozi because Rozi's been bad going on two years now and Kimmo hasn't played in over a year. But like how good Crawford has played this season,Vermette was one of the best centers at taking the draw all throughout this season, this is not something that is only in his past and that he all of a sudden isn't anymore. And we want to go off how he played here in less than 20 games, with some of them not even at his natural position? Go for it I guess. Not very smart, but go ahead.

It just simply gives you another option. That's all. Dressing your best team.

TCD

Liked Posts:
Yah Toews got worked in the faceoff circle in game 1. Should bench him for Vermette the better faceoff guy.

Now variable you are stretching for excuses as to why Vermette should have played in a game the Hawks won regardless of the faceoff issues.

Hawks are going to have issues with faceoffs against the Preds on their home ice. The Preds also have a roster of 578 natural centers which will eventually also be the reason for their demise. Very few natural wingers on that club. Icing your best team is a fantastic fantasy hockey view of things but there is also a thing called proper slot allocation in hockey. Preds don't have it...Hawks do even if they are playing Shaw at center everyone else is slotted where they should be. Fuck Vermette don't need him yet. He will get his game time soon enough but right now its not an urgency.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Proper slot allocation for the Hawks.....lol.....

TCD

Liked Posts:
Proper slot allocation for the Hawks.....lol.....

Right now it is. Don't have a bunch of centers playing on the wing and vice versa. One guy is slotted in the wrong position that being Shaw. You guys want Vermette on the 4th line playing wing for fuck sakes. What does that say about your guys ideas towards slot allocation? Er guess we can throw in the Seabs/Keith pairing that doesnt exsist again for now..which I have always agreed with. But really Vermette playing wing on the 4th line? Come on. That's dumber than anything Q could ever come up with..or at least close to.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Right now it is. Don't have a bunch of centers playing on the wing and vice versa. One guy is slotted in the wrong position that being Shaw. You guys want Vermette on the 4th line playing wing for fuck sakes. What does that say about your guys ideas towards slot allocation? Er guess we can throw in the Seabs/Keith pairing that doesnt exsist again for now..which I have always agreed with. But really Vermette playing wing on the 4th line? Come on. That's dumber than anything Q could ever come up with..or at least close to.

It's funny you say this because when they find first brought Shaw up and I complained about him playing out of place at center it was pointed out to me that he played mostly at center before Rockford and was a natural center.

Variable

Liked Posts:
I dont give a fuck what Shaw did in Juniors. I just don't. He's better on the wing than at center in the NHL. Move him to wing on the 4th line and Vermette to third line center. You can move Shaw throughout any line on the wing during the game, but dress your best centers at center. That's all.

TCD

Liked Posts:
I will be shocked not to see Vermette on Sunday now.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Despite Shaw at center not making much sense really. I'd still care more about the results of how that line has been most consist high energy line. They were playing good as a line the few games before the seasons end and even in period 1-game1 they unliked any other line were able to generate chances and continued to do so.

TCD

Liked Posts:
Despite Shaw at center not making much sense really. I'd still care more about the results of how that line has been most consist high energy line. They were playing good as a line the few games before the seasons end and even in period 1-game1 they unliked any other line were able to generate chances and continued to do so.

That line is fine but i could care less if they adjust it when Kane is on it. Its that shit head Saad on the top line that fucks up life!! Vermettes coming in though for game 3. He will eventually center Kane as he should. Just a matter if Q will do it right away or wait a game. No reason for Shaw not to play left wing with Kane still. Bump Sharp to the top line and get Saad the fuck off of it bump him to the 3rd where he can learn to play the boards again fuck move him to the 4th even better !!! :)

Im turning heel now. Going to the Variable and Pez side because I need to see Saad get his ass kicked off that top line. Kane can skate with anyone so I don't give a shit what Q does to tamper with that line. Just get Saad off that fucking first line he drags down both Toews and Hossa.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
I don't know ... but by not dressing Vermette, in effect you are saying that he is not even worth a Nordstrom ... frankly no one is not worth a Nordstrom - get that guy off of the team as he is a waste of space, a poor player who if he is in the zone on any given night then he has managed to play an average defensive game, and done nothing else.

And that is about all you get on his best night .... you cannot say that Vermette (even if stuck playing wing ... which frankly is dumb anyway) is not at least as good of a player as Joakim fricking Nordstrom. And that is exactly what Quenneville's scratch decision said.

Dumb, and unnecessary move in my opinion.

That being said, I would be shocked if Vermette is back and some team will radically overpay for him as a UFA.

TCD

Liked Posts:
Still bores me and still having trouble seeing how vermette fits the system. Would rather have TT playing but dont really care as long as the team keeps winning with either in the lineup. Keep vermette in next game ride with the lineup that wins and looked pretty good as a team today.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Bickell could sit and they could dress anyone else and it would be an improvement. Vermette was fine today. Boring? Yes. But that's OK.

TCD

Liked Posts:
Yah as long as veremette isnt turning pucks over and remains a 50% or higher faceoff guy im fine with him there.

Bickell hasnt shown playoff bickell yet but he has had some physical moments which i am okay with. Not sure about swapping tt with bickell as i cant see Q doing that anyways. Nothing really glaring wrong with the forwards today no massive mistakes. Would like to see a game where two scoring lines are going at the same time but better than no scoring lines going.

4th line was brilliant today. Swapping nordstrom for Desjard was the right move. desjard gets my unsung hero of the game award. Guy was great. Didnt miss TT on that line either. Solid fourth line game.