IST: Chicago Cubs (1-1) at Colorado Rockies (2-0)

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
chicago-cubs-logo.png

(1-1, 1-1 vs. Division, 1-1 vs. NL)

at

colorado_rockies_baseball_machine_embroidery_design_65251bf0.jpg

(3-0, 0-0 vs. Division, 3-0 vs. NL)

Series taking place at Coors Field
2001 Blake St, Denver, CO 80205
Capacity: 50,445

Game times and probable starters

April 10th, 4:10pm EST WGN
Jason Hammel (0-0, 0.00 ERA) versus Tyler Matzek (0-0, 0.00 ERA)

April 11th, 8:10 PM EST CSN+
Travis Wood (0-0, 0.00 ERA) versus Kyle Kendrick (1-0, 0.00 ERA)

April 12th, 4:10 PM EST WGN
Kyle Hendricks (0-0, 0.00 ERA) versus Jordan Lyles (1-0, 3.00 ERA)

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Figured I'd do the prep work for the next series. Colorado still has a game tonight so they might end up 2-1 or 3-0. I'm also not entirely sure on the pitching match ups. ESPN has it Wood/Hammel/Hendricks but I was under the assumption Hammel was the #3. Also, ESPN has the Rockies skipping their 4/5 starters and going back with Kendricks and Lyles.

Mods feel free to add w/e as it changes. I can probably update the thread record later tonight but not sure I can change the title to add win/loss for COL.

Last edited by a moderator:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stickied. My understanding is the Cubs pushed Hammels back. I am not exactly sure why but Maddon said he is not injured.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lefty lefty match up. Not sure why but I'm thinking they have a better chance of winning with Hammels vs Kendrick.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Glad they have all these off days at the beginning of the season?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Glad they have all these off days at the beginning of the season?

Would want more. Means less game with out Bryant in the line up.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Would want more. Means less game with out Bryant in the line up.

The bats are really going to need to wake up for this series. It will be interesting to see if Soler stays in the 2 hole for these games or if Maddon elects to beef up the middle of the order. This is where moving guys around the order makes sense. Play the matchups.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The bats are really going to need to wake up for this series. It will be interesting to see if Soler stays in the 2 hole for these games or if Maddon elects to beef up the middle of the order. This is where moving guys around the order makes sense. Play the matchups.

I think Maddon is sticking to a theme that will stick after Bryant promotes.

1. Fowler (OBA)
2. Soler (OBA/Power)
3. Rizzo (OBA/Power)
4. Bryant (Power)
5. Castro (hitting)
6. Montero (D/game calling)
7. Coghlan (OBA)
8. Pitcher
9. La Stella (OBA)

The only real competition I see happening is Alcantara vs La Stella at 2B after Bryant promotes.

Side note:

Sense the prospect thread was closed? Not sure why that is........

http://m.cubs.mlb.com/news/article/116789254/where-the-cubs-top-30-prospects-are-starting-the-season

By Jim Callis / MLB.com | @JimCallisMLB | 8:41 AM ET + 1 COMMENT
With the 2015 season officially under way, here's a look at where the Cubs' top 30 prospects are starting the season:

1. Kris Bryant -- Iowa Cubs (AAA)
2. Addison Russell -- Iowa Cubs (AAA)
3. Jorge Soler -- Chicago Cubs (MLB)
4. C.J. Edwards -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)
5. Kyle Schwarber -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)
6. Albert Almora -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)
7. Gleyber Torres -- South Bend Cubs (A)
8. Duane Underwood -- Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A Adv)
9. Billy McKinney -- Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A Adv)
10. Pierce Johnson -- Extended spring training
11. Jen-Ho Tseng -- Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A Adv)
12. Eloy Jimenez -- Extended spring training
13. Jake Stinnett -- South Bend Cubs (A)
14. Carson Sands -- Extended spring training
15. Jeimer Candelario -- Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A Adv)
16. Dan Vogelbach -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)
17. Justin Steele -- Extended spring training
18. Mark Zagunis -- Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A Adv)
19. Victor Caratini -- Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A Adv)
20. Corey Black -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)
21. Dylan Cease -- Extended spring training
22. Rob Zastryzny -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)
23. Jacob Hannemann -- Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A Adv)
24. Christian Villanueva -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)
25. Daury Torrez -- Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A Adv)
26. Eric Jokisch -- Iowa Cubs (AAA)
27. Paul Blackburn -- Myrtle Beach Pelicans (A Adv)
28. Kevonte Mitchell -- Extended spring training
29. Trevor Clifton -- South Bend Cubs (A)
30. Bijan Rademacher -- Tennessee Smokies (AA)

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think Maddon is sticking to a theme that will stick after Bryant promotes.

1. Fowler (OBA)
2. Soler (OBA/Power)
3. Rizzo (OBA/Power)
4. Bryant (Power)
5. Castro (hitting)
6. Montero (D/game calling)
7. Coghlan (OBA)
8. Pitcher
9. La Stella (OBA)

The only real competition I see happening is Alcantara vs La Stella at 2B after Bryant promotes.

It's almost too simple to drop everyone down a spot beginning with Castro, once Bryant hits the MLB, but that is a strong possibility and I would agree. I;m having a hard time seeing Soler moved out of the 2-hole.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It's almost too simple to drop everyone down a spot beginning with Castro, once Bryant hits the MLB, but that is a strong possibility and I would agree. I;m having a hard time seeing Soler moved out of the 2-hole.

If you study Maddon's line ups over the last few years he does move guys situationally. I think Soler will bat second most days but it wouldn't shock me to see him move to 3 once in a while.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

When you think of it after the 1st inning it makes sense. #9 becomes the lead off in general because the pitcher hitting #8 is an auto out.

The plus side of Soler hitting #2 is he will get more AB's vs hitting #5 after Bryant promotes.

Ideal situation:

Baez rights himself and his power plays better hitting #5. He should carry a strong SLG but his OBA will always be in question. That lessens the need of retaining Castro as he keeps dropping lower in the order. At that point it makes sense trading him and promoting Russell to finish his development hitting at the bottom of the order.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
We could start a tally of which hitter leads off a inning. See if it makes a difference or not. But Soler hitting #2 has more to do with his complete game. He has the ability to put up 100 BB just like Rizzo does. That becomes plenty of RBI opportunities for Bryant.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If you study Maddon's line ups over the last few years he does move guys situationally. I think Soler will bat second most days but it wouldn't shock me to see him move to 3 once in a while.
Agreed and I don't mind him at 3 either, but he should be mostly at 2 with Rizzo available. I would likely have issues with him dropped behind Bryant at the 5.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Baez rights himself and his power plays better hitting #5. He should carry a strong SLG but his OBA will always be in question. That lessens the need of retaining Castro as he keeps dropping lower in the order. At that point it makes sense trading him and promoting Russell to finish his development hitting at the bottom of the order.
It's ideal, but I tend to think Baez will get traded and Castro will be solid defensively this season. There just isn't any reason to trade Castro as opposed to bringing up a player who isn't unproven and hope Russell can cover the same turf and be on pace for close to 3,000 hits.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
It's ideal, but I tend to think Baez will get traded and Castro will be solid defensively this season. There just isn't any reason to trade Castro as opposed to bringing up a player who isn't unproven and hope Russell can cover the same turf and be on pace for close to 3,000 hits.

Yeah, but Castro has legit trade value. He's a legit AS bat for someone. I think Russell will come up sooner than later. This will help the Cubs make the decision who to trade. I don't think the Cubs would trade Castro and plug in Russell.

Bryant's play at 3B will come into play as well, imo. If Bryant can play 3B w/o being a liability defensively, that opens up a trade for a great LF, imo. I'm not sure they'll trade for a P, especially with Arietta, and if Hendricks were to step up.

I'd rather the Cubs grab Zimmerman after the season and trade for a LF at this point. The bottom line is we need to see some improvement from Baez, and see Russell play in the bigs, and then the Cubs will have some major options.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Russell needs to show he can provide power with the contact. This spring he did not show a lot of pop. He also walked less last year and thats not what the Cubs want to see. They are in no rush to promote him. They are going to take their time and when he pushes it. He pushes it.

Also, take this for what it is worth. But, I do know Castro asked Maddon to hit in one spot. He didnt care where he hit, but to leave him in one spot. He doesnt like to bounce around for some reason. Im sure he will move when Bryant comes, but I dont expect Castro to be all over the lineup.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Russell needs to show he can provide power with the contact. This spring he did not show a lot of pop. He also walked less last year and thats not what the Cubs want to see. They are in no rush to promote him. They are going to take their time and when he pushes it. He pushes it.

Also, take this for what it is worth. But, I do know Castro asked Maddon to hit in one spot. He didnt care where he hit, but to leave him in one spot. He doesnt like to bounce around for some reason. Im sure he will move when Bryant comes, but I dont expect Castro to be all over the lineup.

I'm sure Maddon Loves the fact that Castro wants to take away his strategy, coupled with suspect defense, which Maddon obviously puts a lot of emphasis on.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm sure Maddon Loves the fact that Castro wants to take away his strategy, coupled with suspect defense, which Maddon obviously puts a lot of emphasis on.

Castro is an average defensive SS and I am sure Maddon doesnt mind one of his All star players asking not to be moved around. But, what do I know.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Maddon loves vets, especially 3x AS vets. Something like that isn't going to bother him. He wants his players to relax SBD do what they do.