IST: Chicago Cubs (1-1) at Colorado Rockies (2-0)

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, this was just another one that was reported, and of all places, Sports Den written by a Cubs fan. Furthermore, if you don't think Olney has connections, you are sadly mistaken.

:popcorn:

What?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I dont get your post. One scout says perception but not the whole league? That is about as vague as you get. The Cubs wouldnt do Zach Wheeler for Castro. I guess thats not much value? Your trying to push a round hole in a square peg. No one said he was untouchable or that he wouldnt move one day. It just wont be this year. I find it hard to believe that Castro has a lot to prove in a weak position in the majors.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Well, this was just another one that was reported, and of all places, Sports Den written by a Cubs fan. Furthermore, if you don't think Olney has connections, you are sadly mistaken.

[emoji14]opcorn:
I get it. You don't want a kid on the team who could hit close to 3,000. You want to grasp at vague straws with a writer who posts vaguely from one scout.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

:popcorn:

I agree with John over at Cubs Den that it's up to Castro to quell the doubts. The thing is much of the perception is unwarranted an propagated by the media for stories. To put it another way Castro opened the door with some of his mental lapses in the field but the national baseball media stuck a brick in the door and refuses to let it close. The bottom line is that by the numbers all of this makes Castro way more valuable to the Cubs than he is trade right now. His objective value should be something like a #2 starting pitcher or 2 near ready starting pitching prospects with TOR potential. In reality no one is offering the former and The Mets are said to have turned down the latter. For all those reasons, and the fact that Castro is a darn good player, he's going to be a Cub for 2015, maybe quite a bit beyond that.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I agree with John over at Cubs Den that it's up to Castro to quell the doubts. The thing is much of the perception is unwarranted an propagated by the media for stories. To put it another way Castro opened the door with some of his mental lapses in the field but the national baseball media stuck a brick in the door and refuses to let it close. The bottom line is that by the numbers all of this makes Castro way more valuable to the Cubs than he is trade right now. His objective value should be something like a #2 starting pitcher or 2 near ready starting pitching prospects with TOR potential. In reality no one is offering the former and The Mets are said to have turned down the latter. For all those reasons, and the fact that Castro is a darn good player, he's going to be a Cub for 2015, maybe quite a bit beyond that.

Maybe. Anytime he loses focus or doesn't hustle and blows a bubble while being thrown out at first base, the media will pounce on it. And BTW, it is not only the media. The FO has stated as such, the former managers, and anyone that has eyes.

I guess if some are okay with it, so be it. There were also Cubs fans who could tolerate Zambrano hitting a Gatorade cooler or Michael Barrett for that matter as long as he pitched well. Different circumstances I know, but I hope you get the point.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe. Anytime he loses focus or doesn't hustle and blows a bubble while being thrown out at first base, the media will pounce on it. And BTW, it is not only the media. The FO has stated as such, the former managers, and anyone that has eyes.

I guess if some are okay with it, so be it. There were also Cubs fans who could tolerate Zambrano hitting a Gatorade cooler or Michael Barrett for that matter as long as he pitched well. Different circumstances I know, but I hope you get the point.

You cant blow a bubble while running to first? I have seen Miguel Cabrera blow a bubble while hitting a home run. I have seen Javier Baez do it as well. That is ridiculous. Blowing a bubble doesnt stop him from beating out a play. lol

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I didn't say that I was OK with the flaws, you hope every player improves, all I'm saying is that this is a very good player that for some reason gets more criticism for the shortcomings in his game than the obvious great aspects of it. Len Kaspar spoke about it the other day and mentioned that a lot of people in baseball seem to define Castro by his 2013 season but if you actually look at his stats that season pretty much screams outlier. He went on to say that people want to focus more on his defense, where he is no worse than average, and not balance that with Castro the hitter who, if you call 2013 an outlier, is one of the best in the game. It's OK not to like Castro, it's completely unfair to paint him as poor player who should be shuffled out of town for a bag of balls. If it made sense to include him a trade where you would get very close to his value, I'd be for it. If you think the exercise is to move him off a position that he in no way has played his way off of, or trade him for less value than he would be worth playing for the club in favor for a rookie, albeit a very talented rookie, then no thank you.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I didn't say that I was OK with the flaws, you hope every player improves, all I'm saying is that this is a very good player that for some reason gets more criticism for the shortcomings in his game than the obvious great aspects of it. Len Kaspar spoke about it the other day and mentioned that a lot of people in baseball seem to define Castro by his 2013 season but if you actually look at his stats that season pretty much screams outlier. He went on to say that people want to focus more on his defense, where he is no worse than average, and not balance that with Castro the hitter who, if you call 2013 an outlier, is one of the best in the game. It's OK not to like Castro, it's completely unfair to paint him as poor player who should be shuffled out of town for a bag of balls. If it made sense to include him a trade where you would get very close to his value, I'd be for it. If you think the exercise is to move him off a position that he in no way has played his way off of, or trade him for less value than he would be worth playing for the club in favor for a rookie, albeit a very talented rookie, then no thank you.

That is what I am trying to say right there. I never said he wasn't worth anything. I said a long time ago and continue to say that he is a guy who you can get something for in return.

Baez isn't doing it right now, and frankly, if I had to choose who my SS is going forward, it will be Russell hands down. Personal opinion of course.

If I had to deal someone to get a pitcher, I would deal Castro in a package. Again, personal opinion. I am just not sure the hoopla for Castro is there from other teams perspectives to deal for him because he is a 3-time All-Star.

Generally speaking, guys who are 3-time All-Stars in the first 5 years you think would have teams lining up at the first chance to pry him loose from the team. Especially when he is tied to a modest contract in regards to baseball players these days. Maybe they are.

I however, don't feel that it exists. Maybe he will prove me wrong, but time will have to tell that one. :dunno:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think the problem with Castro isn't ability. He's had plus range every year but last year(no idea why it was down last year according to metrics). His problem is he's inconsistent. Don't think he'll ever be amazing there and I tend to believe he'll basically be what he's been the past few years. But, if he gets his focus better it's possible.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I think the problem with Castro isn't ability. He's had plus range every year but last year(no idea why it was down last year according to metrics). His problem is he's inconsistent. Don't think he'll ever be amazing there and I tend to believe he'll basically be what he's been the past few years. But, if he gets his focus better it's possible.

I would just like to see Castro play some 3rd or 2nd. I just don't like him as our SS moving forward. He may very well excel at another position, imo.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I would just like to see Castro play some 3rd or 2nd. I just don't like him as our SS moving forward. He may very well excel at another position, imo.

I still think he'll be a 3B or 2B eventually there's just no hurry presently. Honestly, I have always like the idea of him at 3B and Russell when he's ready at SS. It's a pretty simple transition as we saw Jeter/Arod have a sort of similar situation play out.