KC Johnson Thibs Update: Don't expect him to walk away from Bulls

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
if you want concrete evidence of thibs total disregard for minute management look at last year with Joakim Noah

Noah had his issue with his knee....i don't know for how long but he said he had been dealing with it which alludes to me that it was awhile....Thibs also knew he was dealing with it

but look at the last month of the season Noah played 39 minutes a game...he actually played 42 in the last game that was totally meaningless

that to me is unacceptable....i don't care if Noah played it off....Thibs has to be smarter then that....this is the reason they brought in that trainer chick to manage minutes

If the Bulls had won they would have been 3rd seed. The Bulls are actually in the same exact position as last year concerning Toronto.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I posted a pretty good article on that, and how teams are using this approach. It seems noone wanted to hear my point in that thread. :dunno:
what thread was that even in?

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
what thread was that even in?

I posted it in the NBA EC playoff thread here. Crys put a kibosh on getting OT. However, it's probably better to read the entire article here. The article that the NBA minute management is much different today than prior years.

Towards the end of the article, it touches on being more efficient and playing in shorter bursts. These are real NBA people who are speaking about this. The subject is very real, and Thib's is very old fashioned.

The article talks about keeping players healthier as well by playing less minutes. Also, it talks about a point of diminishing returns for players, which is interesting. Meaning a player becomes less effective towards the end of a game by reaching an optimal minute point.

I had another article on the minutes per stretch as well. I will try to find that again.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Here's another article about managing long term player fatigue I had bookmarked. It has some interesting points as well.

And to be fair, here's an article about the Spurs model of minutes management. It actually states the Spurs model might not work for the Bulls based on last year from lack of depth.

It's one of the reasons I've become mad at Thib's this year as the Bulls had a deeper roster then they ever had, and coming off a year they played the player a lot of minutes. This year would have been a great opportunity to use the Spurs model.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Oh look ^^^, another one of my bitches following me around with absolutely nothing to say. Back on iggy cuz of worthlessness. :yep:

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's another article about managing long term player fatigue I had bookmarked. It has some interesting points as well.

And to be fair, here's an article about the Spurs model of minutes management. It actually states the Spurs model might not work for the Bulls based on last year from lack of depth.

It's one of the reasons I've become mad at Thib's this year as the Bulls had a deeper roster then they ever had, and coming off a year they played the player a lot of minutes. This year would have been a great opportunity to use the Spurs model.

Deep roster? The Bulls? Hilarious. Do you even watch this team? Has anyone talked to you about their injuries? Do you know how many games their first team of Rose, Butler, Noah, Gasol, and Dunleavy has played this season? Look it up. When this happens, a supposed deep roster gets pretty thin.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Deep roster? The Bulls? Hilarious. Do you even watch this team? Has anyone talked to you about their injuries? Do you know how many games their first team of Rose, Butler, Noah, Gasol, and Dunleavy has played this season? Look it up. When this happens, a supposed deep roster gets pretty thin.
Name me a team in the NBA where that doesn't happen?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd like to see Thib's agree to bring in an offensive coach to help with the offensive scheming. He seems to stubborn for this. However, this is where I get confused as he wasn't the one to fire Adams. This makes me think that Gar wants him gone.

The biggest way Thib's can say FU to management in this case, is just take the Bulls to the finals and win it. Unfortunately, an early exit and a lousy performance only gives management motive to move on. At that point, it's hard to blame them as results are the bottom line in the NBA.

People don't seem to understand this. This can be worse than total minutes.

The above is worse than anything! ^^^^^^^^^^^^ And this from a guy who has called himself a Thibs "homer" ^^^^^^^^^^^

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Name me a team in the NBA where that doesn't happen?

You first. Name a team that has had the great number of injuries to their starting line-up like the Bulls have had among the contending teams in the NBA. BPs comment was asinine in that it implied that Thibs failed to utilize a "deep roster" this season. I say that he could not allocate minutes as he would have due to the many injuries sustained. Do you disagree with that? If so, say so.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
San Antonio always seems to be pretty deep even if half their starters are out :shrug:
You and I both know they wouldn't survive a playoff series.

Sent from the year 1885 via Tapatalk

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You and I both know they wouldn't survive a playoff series.

Sent from the year 1885 via Tapatalk
Without half their starters? Yeah probably. Regular season though, they're fine.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Without half their starters? Yeah probably. Regular season though, they're fine.

Which should tell you something about the regular season. I recall a team rather recently sweeping the regular season series against a team that later beat them 4-1 in the conference finals.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Which should tell you something about the regular season. I recall a team rather recently sweeping the regular season series against a team that later beat them 4-1 in the conference finals.

OH god, please don't remind me about that team that had Keith Bogans.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The Nets beat the Heat 4-0 in the regular season last year and lost 4-1 in the 2nd to them as well. (This was actually the first time that's happened in NBA history though).

I think you can really only use regular season matchups such as that if games contain blowouts, which in both cases of the 2011 Bulls and 2014 Nets, neither ever blew out Miami..every game was close and down to the wire.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Nets beat the Heat 4-0 in the regular season last year and lost 4-1 in the 2nd to them as well. (This was actually the first time that's happened in NBA history though).

I think you can really only use regular season matchups such as that if games contain blowouts, which in both cases of the 2011 Bulls and 2014 Nets, neither ever blew out Miami..every game was close and down to the wire.
One could argue that most of the games in that 2011 series were also fairly close. I think each team got one blowout and the rest were ones that could've gone either way before the Bulls got locked down.

In any case, this team is of a way different makeup than the 2011 team and Cleveland isn't even close to what Miami was. I don't expect that same type of disappointment (win game 1 by 20 and lose 4 straight in a rather lackluster fashion).