Kyle Long on the current state of the Chicago Bears: "It is a different culture here"

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
When doesn't a player fawn over a new coaching staff coming in and blow smoke up everyone's ass? Everyone was all over Trestman's nuts too until the loses started mounting and everyone jumped off the bandwagon. Same thing will happen with Fox and Pace if they don't win games.

Having "man's men" coaches talking shit with the players in the weight room is great and all but I don't see how that translates into wins on the football field.

So beyond tired of people scapegoating Trestman and his hippy "nerd culture" for the Bears losing games and acting like a new set of macho alpha male coaches is some magical quick fix. The problems with this team isn't "nerd culture" it's having a roster devoid of talent and what little talent we do have continually underachieving.

Fox and Pace's alpha male personalities aren't going to amount to jack shit if their FA and draft acquisitions don't pan out and the players don't improve their execution on the field. Fox doing bicep curls in the weight room isn't going to make Jay Cutler make better reads, decisions, and accurate throws on the football field.

Noting that Trestman was over his head as an NFL HC is not scapegoating him. It was pretty clear by the middle of year two that he had lost the locker room and "Bernstein's source" said Trestman had basically checked out around there too.

Fox brings a real NFL pedigree and put together one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL. Even with all the things that went wrong last year the team wouldn't have quit for a guy like Fangio or Fox. I seriously doubt we are looking at back to back 50 point blow outs this year or any time under Fox's regime. They won't quit.

Dagman310

Liked Posts:
When doesn't a player fawn over a new coaching staff coming in and blow smoke up everyone's ass? Everyone was all over Trestman's nuts too until the loses started mounting and everyone jumped off the bandwagon. Same thing will happen with Fox and Pace if they don't win games.

Having "man's men" coaches talking shit with the players in the weight room is great and all but I don't see how that translates into wins on the football field.

So beyond tired of people scapegoating Trestman and his hippy "nerd culture" for the Bears losing games and acting like a new set of macho alpha male coaches is some magical quick fix. The problems with this team isn't "nerd culture" it's having a roster devoid of talent and what little talent we do have continually underachieving.

Fox and Pace's alpha male personalities aren't going to amount to jack shit if their FA and draft acquisitions don't pan out and the players don't improve their execution on the field. Fox doing bicep curls in the weight room isn't going to make Jay Cutler make better reads, decisions, and accurate throws on the football field.

Have you ever played team sports? Not asking in a snarky way, just curious. Bringing in Macho Manly men into the building isn't going to magically fix everything and I don't think anyone is implying that either. However, it is a part of the equation. There is such a thing as chemistry between players and coaches and a team with good chemistry and relationships help make the team function better. Like we saw last year, when things started to go south it seemed like the team just broke down. Now, you aren't going to be able to rely on a good relationship to win games. Good coaching and game planning are needed as well but it is a good start for fox to build that chemistry now during the offseason. Also, I don't think Trestman being a nerd was the problem. For me it didn't seem like he held players and coaches accountable and he didn't gain that respect from the team. Pure speculation on my part by that's my opinion.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:

Omg never mind. Just forget it, you don't understand. TRESTMAN HAD NO RESPECT IN LOCKER ROOM. the hell don't you understand? Trestman was quoted as being "weird" "unrelatable" and spoke to the damn team behind their backs.

Trestman was a introverted nerd dork who tried changing his personality and make himself more approachable. But like I SAID when push comes to shove, he was going to crawl back to being who he is. Nothing wrong with that. But he had no business being head coach.

A head coach is supposed to be a leader and approachable. Trestman was the ultimate new age weirdo. Briggs had to plead with him in order for players to listen to MUSIC before the game. He wanted players to "get to know one another" all the while half of the guys just want that paycheck.

Horrible head coach. Easily one of the most embarrassing non competitive bear teams I have ever witnessed.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Well with that negative attitude it'll never work!

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Okay, here is Brocs guy growing the man football to a bunch of dudes who get their heads banged in every Saturday during the fall, playing through injuries, having adrenaline rushes pregame...

This, is Marc Trestman. Quite an inspiring figure.

[video=youtube_share;jpXK99lgENE]http://youtu.be/jpXK99lgENE[/video]

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay, here is Brocs guy growing the man football to a bunch of dudes who get their heads banged in every Saturday during the fall, playing through injuries, having adrenaline rushes pregame...

[video=youtube_share;jpXK99lgENE]http://youtu.be/jpXK99lgENE[/video]

I thought he wasn't alpha enough to address a team from the front of the room.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I can't believe you thought he was the best choice for the Bears HC job...

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
This is a football coach that can lead and inspire. This may be a hard concept for Broc but football is AN EMOTIONAL GAME. Trestman can speak of football in the idealistic nerd way like "biologically in your body chemicals are released in this environment." And other shit a guy who makes a living playing a violent sport doesn't care about.

This is a head coach. Quite a big difference. I can see this guy making me WANT TO PLAY.

[video=youtube_share;MW63PcDPPZk]http://youtu.be/MW63PcDPPZk[/video]

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I repented quite quickly.

It's not like it was a sin. Don't have to be so emo about it. You just liked him more than Bruce Arians and pretty much everyone wanted Arians over some nerd they'd never heard of. I was with ya though, I thought he might have what it takes to fix Cutler and so did a lot of people...

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Not pretty much all wanted Arians even when it boiled down to the final 3 with him in it. Hell at least a decent 15% portion wanted mr throw instead of handing Lynch the ball

It's harmeless nonsense its not like it means they'll be better or more physical because John Fox lifts in the lockeroom.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Not pretty much all wanted Arians even when it boiled down to the final 3 with him in it. Hell at least a decent 15% portion wanted mr throw instead of handing Lynch the ball

It's harmeless nonsense its not like it means they'll be better or more physical because John Fox lifts in the lockeroom.

But without respect for the coach, players won't play hard even if they are making millions of dollars to. Duh.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
This is a football coach that can lead and inspire. This may be a hard concept for Broc but football is AN EMOTIONAL GAME. Trestman can speak of football in the idealistic nerd way like "biologically in your body chemicals are released in this environment." And other shit a guy who makes a living playing a violent sport doesn't care about.

This is a head coach. Quite a big difference. I can see this guy making me WANT TO PLAY.

I prefer this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAcKiMy0Gp4 (go to about 0:50)

Goosebumps.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have you ever played team sports?

Yes, I've played team sports. I played on my schools football, basketball, and baseball teams. I'm fully aware of the role locker room/team dynamics play in organized team sports. I simply don't agree with Desbro's blanket generalizations about alpha males/nerds and trying to simplify a ridiculously complex game with millions of variables down to something as dumb as alpha males vs nerds...

I mean if being an alpha male "man's man" coach is such a big deal and all then explain Mike Ditka to me... the ultimate alpha male badass type coach, yet only manages to win 1 SB here in Chicago (due to a roster stacked with talent) and then goes 15–33 during his 3 seasons as HC of the Saints and gets laughed out of the league...

Surely the Saints players wouldn't tune out Mike Ditka the ultimate alpha male right.. So was it Ditka's alpha male personality that caused their failures or was it more to do with his disastrous draft and roster management? Let's be real here, Desbro's "alpha male" narrative he developed watching his "Playmakers" dvd's is cute to laugh about but ultimately completely irrelevant.

The Pats didn't win SB #4 because Belichick is some super badass alpha male coach. They continue to win because they do a great job managing their drafts and roster, and have one of the greatest QB's of all time leading their team. Same reason why nerdy Bill Walsh was super successful, teams stacked with talent lead by a HOF QB.

If the team is stacked with talent they're going to win regardless of what personality the HC has. The 2014 Bears were not stacked with talent nor did they have a HOF QB leading the team. They were an below average team talent wise (with little to no talent on defense) and their QB is a mediocre, turnover prone, underachiever. That's why the team fell apart, not because Trestman was a nerd. The 2014 Bears could of had Ditka or Arians or any other alpha male coach you want to put in there as HC and the results would of been exactly the same.

Last edited:

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Arians would have gotten more out of this roster.

Lets compare the guy with two Super Bowl rings, three AFC Championships and two time Coach of the Year to Marc Trestman.

Successful coaches are successful because they're good at their jobs. Marc Trestman didn't fail at HC because of the Bears roster. The team was continually unprepared and the guy had no contacts in the NFL to assemble a coaching staff.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Good point on Bill Walsh. He doesn't seem like that man's man type of guy either. More like a calculus professor.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Career head coaching record for Bill Stewart? 36-37