Kyle Long on the current state of the Chicago Bears: "It is a different culture here"

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Career head coaching record for Bill Stewart? 36-37

Paul Rhoads (the Iowa State coach from the other fiery locker room speech linked above) head coaching record: 29-46.

Odd, you would think these alpha male coaches would do better.

Guess talent and execution matters just a tad bit more than being an alpha male coach and giving fiery locker room speeches.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Another interesting tidbit about Stewart: he went to 2 different reporters asking for them to find dirt on Dana Holgorson, the coach that would eventually replace him at WVU. Man of principle, that Bill Stewart.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Interesting article. I think it definitely gives a bit more credence to all of the things Despbro was saying. I think most of us always felt that "some" aspects of what he was trying to get across with his "nerds" commentary to be true, perhaps it could have been more eloquently positioned, a bit more polished if you will :)

If you took Desbro's nerd bullshit and made it eloquent and expressive, then it wouldn't be desbro's thoughts or point anymore. Dude literally means nerds.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, there has never been a coaching change in the history of the NFL where players didn't talk about culture change. Doesn't mean nerds.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
the first cue to anyone outside of Halas Hall that something was fucked up was the 'holding hands shower picture'. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

If you go back in time and listen to some of the interviews specifically defensive guys you can see they weren't buying in, in year one. So what Kyle is saying sounds good to me.

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I can't believe you thought he was the best choice for the Bears HC job...

That revisionist history posting by Desperbro keeps going doesn't it HHM?..lol.... He keeps it up, he is going to get called out again....

In regards to the article, Lovie was/is not a fire and brimstone coach, and players LOVED him and would run through walls for him. Some people just don't get that BOTH types of personalities can be\have been successful....

BEARS

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That revisionist history posting by Desperbro keeps going doesn't it HHM?..lol.... He keeps it up, he is going to get called out again....

In regards to the article, Lovie was/is not a fire and brimstone coach, and players LOVED him and would run through walls for him. Some people just don't get that BOTH types of personalities can be\have been successful....
BEARS

Agree. There are many different styles that can be effective. While Lovie wasn't a screamer, get in your face coach, he also had rules and didn't put up with a lot of shit. When asked P. Mannelly (and another player, can't remember who) if Love would have allowed Briggs to open a restaurant when he did or Brandon to do TV in NYC they both immediately said "no". Mannely also said that when there was an issue you were asked to see Lovie in his office and he was very clear, stern but also fair.

I think one of the main keys to coaching, past the x's and o's, is consistency. John Madden let his players "express themselves" but he also had rules (be on time) that you didn't cross. While Tom Couphlin is a complete disciplinarian with a bunch of rules; though he has lightened up. Both won Super Bowls with different styles. But they were always consistent with the players.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:

A

BEARS
Ha! Again, I repented early but I called his new age dork shit early.

So no, again don't care. Arians fan here. Woulda made a great hc.

Trestman sucks!!

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
If you took Desbro's nerd bullshit and made it eloquent and expressive, then it wouldn't be desbro's thoughts or point anymore. Dude literally means nerds.

Yes, I literally man a passive dork trying to be in charge of a buncha huge tough fuckers talking about he beauty of football and the game that brings men together and other moronic shit.

Just stop trying, bot. The nerds lost. Accept it.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Another interesting tidbit on Bill Stewart, the guy who'd make desbro WANT TO PLAY. He was, at one time, an assistant coach for the Montreal Alouettes.

LOL and what in the living fuck does that have anything to do with.. Well, anything.

Marv levy also coached in CFL. you aren't making a good point here.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Yes, I've played team sports. I played on my schools football, basketball, and baseball teams. I'm fully aware of the role locker room/team dynamics play in organized team sports. I simply don't agree with Desbro's blanket generalizations about alpha males/nerds and trying to simplify a ridiculously complex game with millions of variables down to something as dumb as alpha males vs nerds...

I mean if being an alpha male "man's man" coach is such a big deal and all then explain Mike Ditka to me... the ultimate alpha male badass type coach, yet only manages to win 1 SB here in Chicago (due to a roster stacked with talent) and then goes 15–33 during his 3 seasons as HC of the Saints and gets laughed out of the league...

Surely the Saints players wouldn't tune out Mike Ditka the ultimate alpha male right.. So was it Ditka's alpha male personality that caused their failures or was it more to do with his disastrous draft and roster management? Let's be real here, Desbro's "alpha male" narrative he developed watching his "Playmakers" dvd's is cute to laugh about but ultimately completely irrelevant.

The Pats didn't win SB #4 because Belichick is some super badass alpha male coach. They continue to win because they do a great job managing their drafts and roster, and have one of the greatest QB's of all time leading their team. Same reason why nerdy Bill Walsh was super successful, teams stacked with talent lead by a HOF QB.

If the team is stacked with talent they're going to win regardless of what personality the HC has. The 2014 Bears were not stacked with talent nor did they have a HOF QB leading the team. They were an below average team talent wise (with little to no talent on defense) and their QB is a mediocre, turnover prone, underachiever. That's why the team fell apart, not because Trestman was a nerd. The 2014 Bears could of had Ditka or Arians or any other alpha male coach you want to put in there as HC and the results would of been exactly the same.

The nerds lost. Now shut the fuck up.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Desp quit spamming this thread with nerd speak.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Ha! Again, I repented early but I called his new age dork shit early.

So no, again don't care. Arians fan here. Woulda made a great hc.

Trestman sucks!!

Define early? When the team started to implode is not considered early. "calling it" as it is happening is not really "calling it", it's more of a play by play

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Define early? When the team started to implode is not considered early. "calling it" as it is happening is not really "calling it", it's more of a play by play

You make me feeeellll

Like I'm living a teenage dreammmm the way u turn me on

I can't sleeeep

Don't Everrr look back don't wverrrr look backkkkk

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
You make me feeeellll

Like I'm living a teenage dreammmm the way u turn me on

I can't sleeeep

Don't Everrr look back don't wverrrr look backkkkk

So Despbro, if Cutler is still with the team at the start of the season do you think his 3rd Head Coach with the Bears will be the lucky one to actually get him to minimize turnovers?

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
So Despbro, if Cutler is still with the team at the start of the season do you think his 3rd Head Coach with the Bears will be the lucky one to actually get him to minimize turnovers?

I think he'll finally have a competent coaching staff that have been consistent fixtures in the NFL over a dude who was out of the league for nearly a decade.