CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This has come up in several threads lately, so I thought maybe a DH/no DH in the NL deserved its own thread.

I don't think the NL owners will go for it, as it adds significantly to the payroll.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
As I said else where I prefer the asymmetry.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I could go either way, I love the increased managing of the game due to a pitcher hitting, but I would also love for the Cubs to have a DH because we are loaded with bats, lol

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I absolutely want nothing to do with the DH in the NL. I've always hated it. You essentially tell some lazy fat ass "oh yeah, you don't have to worry about the other part of the game, defense."

You eliminate the pitcher from the game, though he's part of the game as he's one of the 9 guys out on the field.

I'm a traditionalist, but I know most likely within a decade the MLB will move for it for more offense. Again, I hope not......I think its an abomination to baseball. But in a world where people's attentions need to be had down to the microsecond or you lose them, a long game (which they're trying to reduce time wise) will need to somehow be more appealing to the impatient shits in this world.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There will be no more DH in 10 years. It's outgrown it's usefulness baseball wise, and definitely monetarily.

HCWS58

Liked Posts:
I'm torn but if I had to say I'd go with no. The way I see it, no DH works to the Cubs advantage for the most part. We seem to have had pretty good hitting pitchers over the years with Wood and Zambrano being exceptionally good. Then again, maybe we get our hands on just a ridiculous bat for DH and have even more of an edge. Shit I'm torn again.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm torn but if I had to say I'd go with no. The way I see it, no DH works to the Cubs advantage for the most part. We seem to have had pretty good hitting pitchers over the years with Wood and Zambrano being exceptionally good. Then again, maybe we get our hands on just a ridiculous bat for DH and have even more of an edge. Shit I'm torn again.

Not when you still have Javier Baez, Addison Russell, Kyle Schwarber, McKinney, and Dan Volgelbach all waiting in the minors. Also, Volgy is the forgotten bat in the system but it is so pure. He is killing it to start the year.

33 PA, 27 AB, .556 BA, .636 OBP, .704 SLG, 1.340 OPS. 6 walks, 4 doubles, 0 homers(surprising), 3 K's. He has maybe the best all around approach in our minors. He is a DH through and through.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm a fan of no DH.....but I want it to be the same in both leagues

HCWS58

Liked Posts:
Not when you still have Javier Baez, Addison Russell, Kyle Schwarber, McKinney, and Dan Volgelbach all waiting in the minors. Also, Volgy is the forgotten bat in the system but it is so pure. He is killing it to start the year.

33 PA, 27 AB, .556 BA, .636 OBP, .704 SLG, 1.340 OPS. 6 walks, 4 doubles, 0 homers(surprising), 3 K's. He has maybe the best all around approach in our minors. He is a DH through and through.

Damn yeah I'd say he qualifies. Seems to me with Schwarber's somewhat tweener status defensively that he'd be a perfect DH as well.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn yeah I'd say he qualifies. Seems to me with Schwarber's somewhat tweener status defensively that he'd be a perfect DH as well.

Schwarber is more athletic then Volgelbach. He can also run much better then Volgelbach. Schwarber could play left just fine, but his weight will always be a concern. If he can keep it in check, he will be fine in the field. If he starts putting it on over the years then first or DH will be his only options.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Vogelbach will be involved in a trade this deadline or offseason as an add in to get a starter. ..

I dont care for the DH and like seeing alot of these pitchers of late starting to swing the bat pretty good...

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No more old fat guys who can't run.

NO DH!!

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I just want equality. Right now it's not like that and the advantage is to the NL in IL play. Give both the leagues the DH or take it away completely.

greg23

Liked Posts:
The dh sucks.......the nba should add designated free throw shooters to help increase scoring!

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
even though a DH would help the cubs current situation out as some have mentioned....NO DH! pitchers should have to hit for themselves. these guys were the best players on their teams growing up and when not pitching would usually play SS and hit the crap out the ball. its more of a putting in the time and practice again(travis wood). if you don't want shitty hitting pitchers, make em take more BP and work with the hitting coaches a bit to become more complete players. think how many extra wins a guy like greg maddux probably had over his career just because he could handle the bat a little bit. and since $$ is the motivator, more wins = more $$ down the road :shrug: rant over with lol

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is only two options. Both leagues have the DH or they stay the same. Yet again, the MLBPA will never allow for the DH to go away. They will never agree to that.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
even though a DH would help the cubs current situation out as some have mentioned....NO DH! pitchers should have to hit for themselves. these guys were the best players on their teams growing up and when not pitching would usually play SS and hit the crap out the ball. its more of a putting in the time and practice again(travis wood). if you don't want shitty hitting pitchers, make em take more BP and work with the hitting coaches a bit to become more complete players. think how many extra wins a guy like greg maddux probably had over his career just because he could handle the bat a little bit. and since $$ is the motivator, more wins = more $$ down the road :shrug: rant over with lol

THIS

Back in the day playing high school ball, our best player and most of the other team's best players were all the #1 starting pitcher....I'm talking hitting as well as pitching. WTF has happened over the years? You watch some of these young pitchers now and you wonder if they even know which end of the bat to hold.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
THIS

Back in the day playing high school ball, our best player and most of the other team's best players were all the #1 starting pitcher....I'm talking hitting as well as pitching. WTF has happened over the years? You watch some of these young pitchers now and you wonder if they even know which end of the bat to hold.

And for the most part those pitchers never did anything including get drafted. Great pitchers (the ones that get contracts) are usually only good at pitching and vice versa.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
There is only two options. Both leagues have the DH or they stay the same. Yet again, the MLBPA will never allow for the DH to go away. They will never agree to that.

I mean this is the bottom line. There is no debate over whether the DH works in MLB, it's worked for the half the league for four decades. Lots of fun to watch AL clubs in those multiple decades. I've always watched both leagues despite being a Cubs fan and an NL fan first. My father was an AL man, first as a Tigers fan and when he moved to Chicago a White Sox fan. I picked the Red Sox as my second favorite team as a 10 year old. I get the beauty of both leagues, but let me ask you this what is the difference in the leagues anymore other than the DH? Most guys play in both eventually. Inter league play isn't really even an event anymore it's just something that happens in the course of a season. The umps aren't league specific anymore. There haven't been League Presidents in twenty plus years. It makes zero sense to have different rules and SilenceS is right, the MLBPA would never agree to do away with the DH. That leaves implementing in the NL the only thing that makes sense. Period.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I mean this is the bottom line. There is no debate over whether the DH works in MLB, it's worked for the half the league for four decades. Lots of fun to watch AL clubs in those multiple decades. I've always watched both leagues despite being a Cubs fan and an NL fan first. My father was an AL man, first as a Tigers fan and when he moved to Chicago a White Sox fan. I picked the Red Sox as my second favorite team as a 10 year old. I get the beauty of both leagues, but let me ask you this what is the difference in the leagues anymore other than the DH? Most guys play in both eventually. Inter league play isn't really even an event anymore it's just something that happens in the course of a season. The umps aren't league specific anymore. There haven't been League Presidents in twenty plus years. It makes zero sense to have different rules and SilenceS is right, the MLBPA would never agree to do away with the DH. That leaves implementing in the NL the only thing that makes sense. Period.
What if the ownership agrees to get rid of this service time nonsense and in return the DH is given up?