2015 NFL Draft Position Review: 3-4 Outside Linebackers - Walterfootball

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Walterfootball put out their 3-4 Outside Linebacker rankings. Take it for what it is worth. I just copied a small portion, most of it can be found at the site

Position Review: 3-4 Outside Linebackers

3-4 Outside Linebacker Class
Early-round talent: A
Mid-round: B+
Late-round: B
Overall grade: A-

2015 prospects vs 2014
Dante Fowler < Jadeveon Clowney
Vic Beasley < Khalil Mack
Shane Ray < Anthony Barr
Randy Gregory > Dee Ford
Bud Dupree > Marcus Smith
Eli Harold > Demarcus Lawrence
Owa Odighizuwa = Kyle Van Noy
Lorenzo Mauldin < Trent Murphy

For the second straight year, there college ranks have produced an excellent class of 3-4 outside linebackers. The group of Clowney, Mack, and Barr have the potential to be a legendary class. All of them played well as rookies, although Clowney missed the vast majority of the season.

Last year's draft featured three 3-4 outside linebacker candidates who went in the the top 10, five in the first round, and four more in the second round. The 2015 class should have at least seven 3-4 outside linebackers in the top 64 selections. there could be as many as six taken in the top 25 picks of the 2015 draft, so this class is definitely talented.

If you were to merge the two classes together, Fowler would be the fourth rated player behind Clowney, Mack and Barr. Fowler, Beasley, Ray, Gregory, and Dupree would all be better prospects than Ford. Harold is on a par with Ford and Smith as prospects in the 20s. Odighizuwa and Van Noy are roughly equal as early second-rounders, and Mauldin would go behind Murphy.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2015positionreview34OLB.php#k1aUpuLfS7EGEuJ0.99

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I think this is somewhat accurate. If you combine the two classes, there is no doubt that Clowney and Mack were the best prospects. I think Barr is a little ahead of Ray. Fowler and Beasley aren't far behind Ray.

The more I think about it, the more I think I would just rather avoid these pass rushers at #7 and it's a big reason why the Bears stacked the OLB positions with guys in FA. The pass rushers are being overvalued despite their actual talent. Fowler and Dupree weren't great at getting to the QB in college but have great measurables and potential. Vic Beasley and Shane Ray put up huge numbers but lack size and ideal measurables. Gregory is a pothead.

Kevin White and Amari Cooper are looking like ideal fits at #7 and Trae Waynes is a bit of a dark horse. Waynes and Fuller could make an outstanding CB duo. Danny Shelton makes a heck of a lot of sense and the Bears have done plenty of home work on him. I like him. He isn't a sexy pick but I think you can depend on him to anchor a defensive line, be a dominant run stopper and a leader for the next decade.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Only thing I disagree with is Barr being better than Fowler, Beasley. I'd compare Barr with being equal as Gregory. Barr's tape was unspectacular as is Gregorys. Both have many physical traits that makes their ceiling high.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Only thing I disagree with is Barr being better than Fowler, Beasley. I'd compare Barr with being equal as Gregory. Barr's tape was unspectacular as is Gregorys. Both have many physical traits that makes their ceiling high.

Barr had two double digit sacks seasons in college, had ideal size/length and outstanding athleticism. He was a bit raw as far as pass rush moves are concerned but every single pass rusher in this draft has more ? next to their name than what Anthony Barr had coming out.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
Barr's tape was unspectacular as is Gregorys. Both have many physical traits that makes their ceiling high.

The 23.5 sacks, 41.5 TFL's and 9 FF's he made in two years must really have been boring to watch, then...

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Barr had two double digit sacks seasons in college, had ideal size/length and outstanding athleticism. He was a bit raw as far as pass rush moves are concerned but every single pass rusher in this draft has more ? next to their name than what Anthony Barr had coming out.

Barr had a nice highlight reel, but his highlights were few and far between. Many games he would disappear and displayed minimal effort for his team. His size and athleticism pushed him to the top of the draft, but his tape leaves much to be desired. If you don't believe me, watch this game for example. This was a very important game for UCLA at the time and Barr flopped. [video=youtube;Z_zHX_Mm2uE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_zHX_Mm2uE[/video]

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Barr had a nice highlight reel, but his highlights were few and far between. Many games he would disappear and displayed minimal effort for his team. His size and athleticism pushed him to the top of the draft, but his tape leaves much to be desired. If you don't believe me, watch this game for example. This was a very important game for UCLA at the time and Barr flopped. [video=youtube;Z_zHX_Mm2uE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_zHX_Mm2uE[/video]

You can't expect a player to win on every play......this is code for "he disappears at times".

The game you posted above had him literally tripled teamed at times with a chip as well and for the most part they ran away from him.......you need to consider this as teams game planned around him....its not that he was in on every play its that the other team had to change what they did.

I am not claiming he is all world but he was a force on the college football field.

Also he didn't flop this game he redirected the runner back inside and also flushed the QB several times....

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
You can't expect a player to win on every play......this is code for "he disappears at times".

The game you posted above had him literally tripled teamed at times with a chip as well and for the most part they ran away from him.......you need to consider this as teams game planned around him....its not that he was in on every play its that the other team had to change what they did.

I am not claiming he is all world but he was a force on the college football field.

Also he didn't flop this game he redirected the runner back inside and also flushed the QB several times....

ehh...he looked liked Garbage to me. No motor and easy to take out of the play. Couple that with some missed tackles and running behind the play. All I am saying, is entering the draft he was not more highly regarded than Vic Beasley and Dante Fowler.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Barr is the epitome of raw untapped potential. He's exceptionally big, fast explosive and athletic. What he isn't is a refine pass rusher very tough very strong or instinctive.

What Barr does have though is a really good situation for him to develop in now with Mike Zimmer as his head coach. If Barr takes to Zimmer's coaching much the same way Michael Johnson did coming out of Georgia Tech he could wind up one hell of a player.

It's a part of the equation none of us can foresee with any of these kids, all we can know is who the a bears will target and what kind of coaches are on staff. The answer is very good coaches on defense.