Greatest owner last 30 years in sports

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
George Steinbrenner, the original Diva who did whatever was necessary to make the Yankees winners.

Better then Jones, Busse, Kraft, Cuban, or Reinsdorf

Right?

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
No, not necessarily. The coaching carousel, getting thrown out of the game for injustices against his own players. He at times was an embarrassment. That said, Reinsdorf has done more in a lot shorter period of time. 7 championships in two major sports. Jerry Buss has owned the team and financed potentially 3 dynasties in basketball. Kraft in New England doesn't get much credit because of Belichick. But having a dominant football team in this era is extremely hard. I think Pittsburgh's owners The Rooney Family should get more recognition for their accomplishments. That family has won more Super Bowls than any other franchise in history. Cuban is not in the picture...he is far behind.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I did title this last 30 years, but I want to drop it back to the last 40 so we can Include the Rooney family in this.

Compared to the likes of George Steinbrenner, The Rooneys, Jerry Jones, Jerry Buss, and Jerry Reinsdrof, I don't think there is enough history for Robert Kraft. He's had good teams, but his overall contribution as an owner I do not believe it compares to the others on this list.

I respectfully eliminate the Rooneys from this. They are family owned and an asset to football, but there's not really one face of the franchise and really their last championship became more of a conglomerate in my opinion.

For me that leaves George, and the three Jerrys.

All of Chicago should be grateful for what he has done, but Jerry gets eliminated from the discussion even though he won with two major sports. While he does hold Selig's ear, I just can't give him the credit of buying the Bulls with Jordan on it already. If I do, then George Steinbrenner should get credit as he was a Bulls owner when Michael was drafted.

Down to three, George, Jones, and Buss.

More as I "educate" myself.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I don't quite understand the criterion you are using to make this decision. I am a bit confused. You essentially don't give Reinsdorf credit for winning 6 titles. Steinbrenner was a minority owner of the Bulls...The Wirtz family were majority owners if I am not mistaken. So I don't get it...

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
I don't quite understand the criterion you are using to make this decision.

Taking a break, I think you make a great point. What is the grading criteria?

I think there are lots of things to look at.

1. Single ownership or at a minimum the face of the franchise (that rules out family owned and company owned)
2. Contributions to "the game"/sports
3. Demonstration of building winning teams (not to be confused with actually winning, better to have tried and failed then to have never tried at all)
4. Longevity
5. Championships (should be on the list but not exactly sure how much weight to give it)
6. Personality (someone who's quite might eliminate himself/herself from contention)

Any others before I, at least, re-evaluate?

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I don't think Reinsdorf should be eliminated because Jordan was already here in Chicago. Reinsdorf was at the helm when the team won championships. That is like saying Buss shouldn't get credit for some of those titles the Lakers won because Kareem was already there. Its what you do with the talent you have that matters.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I am not sure that owners do anything with the talent they have

Fred

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
I don't quite understand the criterion you are using to make this decision. I am a bit confused. You essentially don't give Reinsdorf credit for winning 6 titles. Steinbrenner was a minority owner of the Bulls...The Wirtz family were majority owners if I am not mistaken. So I don't get it...

That's because he didn't win 6 titles...he bought a team with Michael Jordan on it. Reinsdorf has proved himself as a basketball owner since Jordan retired....we've had 2 winning teams in 12 years, 0 teams with 50 wins. He's never paid the luxury tax. He won't do everything to win. He doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as those other guys.

We have a history of Reinsdorf as an owner with MJ, and Reinsdorf as an owner without MJ. It's clear who deserves the credit for 6 titles.

Fred

Liked Posts:
Does Michael McCaskey deserve credit for winning the 1985 Super Bowl? Of course not. He was an incompetant moron.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
That's because he didn't win 6 titles...he bought a team with Michael Jordan on it. Reinsdorf has proved himself as a basketball owner since Jordan retired....we've had 2 winning teams in 12 years, 0 teams with 50 wins. He's never paid the luxury tax. He won't do everything to win. He doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as those other guys.

We have a history of Reinsdorf as an owner with MJ, and Reinsdorf as an owner without MJ. It's clear who deserves the credit for 6 titles

I am sorry, did Jordan play with a HOF player? HOF coach? How did they get there? That argument is great for Jordan's ego...however, it doesn't work. Because its inaccurate. And Jordan has stated that himself many times. It was a team that won those titles.

Krause did a great job of building around Jordan. And had he gotten his way, he would have started rebuilding earlier than he did. He failed miserably after Jordan's retirement, because he struck out in free agency. But he still deserves credit for what he did in the 1990's.

How many titles did Michael Jordan win without Pippen, Jackson, and the others? If it was just about Jordan, the Bulls would have had 10, 15 titles. That is not the way team sports work. You have to build a team. And you have to finance a team. That is plain and simple. Without Reinsdorf and Krause those teams as set up would not have existed. Krause was Reinsdor's choice. And that is what owners do. Delegate responsibility. All this talk about spending money is ludicrous. Its about how you spend, especially in a system with a cap. By the way, ask bitter Cubs fans how they feel about all of that spending.

Does Michael McCaskey deserve credit for winning the 1985 Super Bowl? Of course not. He was an incompetant moron.

So Reinsdorf is an incompetent moron? Is this a metaphorical comparison to Reinsdorf? George Halas put that team together. He hired Ditka, Ryan, Finks...

Halas was notoriously cheap, he makes Reinsdorf look like Steinbrenner. But he deserves credit for putting together the administrative staff that build one of sports' great teams.

So again, your comparing Reinsdorf to McCaskey makes no sense whatsoever. Halas wanted McCaskey's uncle to run the team, but he died. Halas never liked McCaskey. But by the time McCaskey took over, the team was in place. McCaskey didn't buy the team, hire coaches and administrators...none of that. Reinsdorf did. Totally different situation. Yet both Reinsdorf and Halas are considered very successful, and in my opinion, great owners.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone is saying Reinsdorf isn't a great owner. But this is a talk on the best of the best. I would argue that Jerry the White Sox owner is greater then Jerry the Bulls owner. The only things Jerry Bull wins is championship. Jerry Sox wins at contributions to the game, willingness and drive to win.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I don't think anyone is saying Reinsdorf isn't a great owner. But this is a talk on the best of the best. I would argue that Jerry the White Sox owner is greater then Jerry the Bulls owner. The only things Jerry Bull wins is championship. Jerry Sox wins at contributions to the game, willingness and drive to win.

Over the last 30 years? I AM talking best of the best. If success is part of the equation, Reinsdorf is up there...

I will give you an example...Rocky Wirtz gets a lot of credit for his work as an owner...should he? The GM plus Kane and Toews were already on the team. So then he doesn't deserve the adulation he has received from fans and media alike? I don't think that is fair.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

Over the last 30 years? I AM talking best of the best. If success is part of the equation, Reinsdorf is up there...

I will give you an example...Rocky Wirtz gets a lot of credit for his work as an owner...should he? The GM plus Kane and Toews were already on the team. So then he doesn't deserve the adulation he has received from fans and media alike? I don't think that is fair.

He gets love for finally putting the games on TV, bringing Chicago the Winter Classic in addition to winning a championship and hiring the right guys like McDonough.