How long are we going to keep batting the pitcher 8th

greg23

Liked Posts:
It always has been a stupid idea unless your starting pitcher can, you know, HIT.....like bumgarner or grienke.

Otherwise every other reason provided is pure bs and some self proclaimed genious trying to prove he's smarter than everyone else's (the Tony larussa effect).

Its pretty simple, more at bats go to spots higher in the order.....is it smart to have pitchers who hit below .100 get more ab's than the worst of the 8 position players? NO

If the "2nd leadoff hitter" in the 9 hole was such a good leadoff hitter....then why isn't he hitting leadoff or in the 2 hole?

By batting the pitcher 8th your ruining innings where the middle of the order gets things going to start an inning and takes the bat away from your 7 hitter when the pitcher is behind him, esp when there are 2 outs.

PLEASE STOP WITH THIS "EXPERIMENT" NOW!

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
It always has been a stupid idea unless your starting pitcher can, you know, HIT.....like bumgarner or grienke.

Otherwise every other reason provided is pure bs and some self proclaimed genious trying to prove he's smarter than everyone else's (the Tony larussa effect).

Its pretty simple, more at bats go to spots higher in the order.....is it smart to have pitchers who hit below .100 get more ab's than the worst of the 8 position players? NO

If the "2nd leadoff hitter" in the 9 hole was such a good leadoff hitter....then why isn't he hitting leadoff or in the 2 hole?

By batting the pitcher 8th your ruining innings where the middle of the order gets things going to start an inning and takes the bat away from your 7 hitter when the pitcher is behind him, esp when there are 2 outs.

PLEASE STOP WITH THIS "EXPERIMENT" NOW!

Please call Maddon with your thoughts.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Pretty sure I've seen lester come up to the plate in 3 starts with at least 8 guys on base and 2 outs.....

But hey.....who cares talking about this on a fan message board since we have no control over it

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Pretty sure I've seen lester come up to the plate in 3 starts with at least 8 guys on base and 2 outs.....

But hey.....who cares talking about this on a fan message board since we have no control over it

Well yes. That's going to happen. When they see Lester on deck, they are going to walk the batter before. It would work a lot better if the #9 hitter could actually get on base. That should be Alcantara, but Maddon is playing Herrera.

INBearFan

Liked Posts:
I was at the game yesterday, and it was INFURIATING to have Lester come to the plate with bases loaded TWICE with two outs and come up lame both times. In both situations, having ANYONE other than Lester batting 8th could have provided the Cubs with quite a few more runs. That's potentially 8 runs squandered in ONE GAME.

The guy is 0 for 48 for his career. He's batting .000.

In this situation, it was flat out stupid to put the guy 8th in the order. This isn't Carlos Zambrano up to bat with the potential to go yard with every swing. Though one could argue it was as insane as Zambrano (the decision to put Lester 8th again).

The experiment should be OVER after yesterday's embarrassment. Period.

greg23

Liked Posts:
So stl in 2007 increased their projected runs per game by hitting the pitcher 8th vs ......and in that projection it also included that their pitchers were THE BEST HITTING STAFF IN THE NL

I'd say this group of pitchers we have are all horrible but t wood.

Innings start randomly but any inning started by the 2-3-4 hitter are put at risk of a big inning and take away your #7 hitter when there is an auto out hitting pitcher in the 8 hole. .....put Alcan tara there and maybe they pitch around him to get to the pitcher but at least the 7 hitter sees pitches....aand nd if that 8 hitter is such a good "2nd leadoff hitter" then why isn't he actually hitting leadoff (oor 2nd)

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So stl in 2007 increased their projected runs per game by hitting the pitcher 8th vs ......and in that projection it also included that their pitchers were THE BEST HITTING STAFF IN THE NL

I'd say this group of pitchers we have are all horrible but t wood.

Innings start randomly but any inning started by the 2-3-4 hitter are put at risk of a big inning and take away your #7 hitter when there is an auto out hitting pitcher in the 8 hole. .....put Alcan tara there and maybe they pitch around him to get to the pitcher but at least the 7 hitter sees pitches....aand nd if that 8 hitter is such a good "2nd leadoff hitter" then why isn't he actually hitting leadoff (oor 2nd)

Our pitchers actually handle the bat very well. I dont know where you are getting this? Also, there is more to a lineup then batting the same thing. In the AL, do they not put a leadoff type hitter 9th?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Our pitchers actually handle the bat very well. I dont know where you are getting this? Also, there is more to a lineup then batting the same thing. In the AL, do they not put a leadoff type hitter 9th?

exactly. ive actually come to like the pitcher hitting 8th. sure your #7 hitter will get walked some to get to the pitcher but that happens just as often to the #8 hitter when the pitcher hits 9th

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
exactly. ive actually come to like the pitcher hitting 8th. sure your #7 hitter will get walked some to get to the pitcher but that happens just as often to the #8 hitter when the pitcher hits 9th

There is no such thing as a perfect lineup. People will find a way to complain. We lost a game. It happenes. We will probably lose 70 plus more this year

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I think having the pitcher 8th has actually worked well a few times

Part of the reason bases were loaded yesterday was because they wanted to get Lester at the plate. But I'd bat Lester 9th. The other starters are somewhat competent at the plate

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Now it's getting ridiculous.....first and third no outs and they don't score as the pitcher raps into a DP. Maybe it might be a good idea to just play baseball and not try to re-invent the wheel.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Now it's getting ridiculous.....first and third no outs and they don't score as the pitcher raps into a DP. Maybe it might be a good idea to just play baseball and not try to re-invent the wheel.
He hit the ball hard. That's all a hitter can do, pitcher or not.