I cant hear you

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Just wondering if there still anyone out here that still wants to ride Bryant after his 0-4 3 K debut ?

The kid a hitter and a very smart ball player. ...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@darenw: Soler's base hit 113 MPH off the bat. Crushed.

I knew that ball was smacked off the bat by the sound but 113..wow

I figured soler rizzo and bryant would be licking their chops seeing this kid throwing fastballs. ....

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
21.1%/21.1% bb/k rate presently. If that k rate stays under 25% he's going to be scary.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Arrieta: 20.2 IP 4 BB's 21 SO's 14 H's. 1.74 ERA Dude is still the team ace.
Wood 11.2 IP 4 BB 12 SO 10 H's 2.31 ERA
Hammel 12.1 IP 1 BB 11 SO, 15 H's 5.11 ERA
Hendricks 10.1 IP 1 BB, 11 SO, 11 H's 6.10 ERA
Lester 15.2 IP 4 BB 14 SO, 24 H's. 6.89 ERA

Where I would rank them right now. Hendricks looked really good his 2nd start so he could shoot up with another solid outing.

Lester has not looked the part.

Solid game. That was the first game that the middle of the order has looked like a middle of the order. Cog has hit a slump. .216 now. Bryant comes up and his bat shut down. Weird game for sure.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
21.1%/21.1% bb/k rate presently. If that k rate stays under 25% he's going to be scary.

He is looking like a hitter first vs a swinger. Also Maddon is preaching to them to not look for walks but accept them. So if the pitcher is not throwing strikes then take a pass. But don't go up there looking for a walk. The SO's are going to be there. I believe they will get down into 25% or lower as he gets more accumulated with the league.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Bryant started 0-4, as we all know, and since has reached base 10 times in 14 plate appearances.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
My mistake. Missed his 9th inning hit.

11 in 15 PA's.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Part of the problem is there is no power threat behind him right now. Cog fell off the table and Castro, while a threat to get a hit, is not a power threat. Thus Montero now hitting #5. They are going to have to figure this potential issue out or as the season goes on Bryant is going to carry a BB% over 20% due to pitchers pitching around him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Part of the problem is there is no power threat behind him right now. Cog fell off the table and Castro, while a threat to get a hit, is not a power threat. Thus Montero now hitting #5. They are going to have to figure this potential issue out or as the season goes on Bryant is going to carry a BB% over 20% due to pitchers pitching around him.
Why i asked in another thread..

If the Angels buy out Hamilton, should Cubs take a shot at him
2 yr deal .. incentives

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:

2 yr deal .. incentives

Yes, stick him in LF. Contract would have to be low in guarantees though for me to be on board

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He might not be the best influence on a young team. I mean he is an addict. I'm not looking for patch work....the Cubs should continue to develop from within.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

2 yr deal .. incentives

Their will be plenty of players better suited for the Cubs than Hamilton IMO at the deadline.

First thing is first though. The Cubs are going to have to play well enough to be buyers. Simple as that.

However, if the time perhaps does come, and this particular team falls out of contention, I would surely like to take a gamble on a savvy veteran to play 3B in in Texas' Adrian Beltre and stick Bryant out on LF if he is available.

Sure he is in a slump right now, but his totals year in and year out are a very high OBP with above average power. Did I mention defense? He's not bad there either

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
He might not be the best influence on a young team. I mean he is an addict. I'm not looking for patch work....the Cubs should continue to develop from within.

For his own personal reasons Hamilton shouldn't even be playing baseball. Addiction is a tough disease and he needs to fix his life. Almost all of the people that have cared for him are saying this now. He may choose to play anyway. I wish him well but someone with those kind of struggles is not someone I want on this young, competitive, happy ball club.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
He is looking like a hitter first vs a swinger. Also Maddon is preaching to them to not look for walks but accept them. So if the pitcher is not throwing strikes then take a pass. But don't go up there looking for a walk. The SO's are going to be there. I believe they will get down into 25% or lower as he gets more accumulated with the league.

Before the season there were some scouts very quietly saying that people were under rating Bryant's potential as a hitter. Tough to stake stock in that when he hadn't seen a MLB pitch. This past weekend Bob Nightengale said his upside as a hitter might be as good as Giancarlo Stanton "light" meaning not quite that good. It's early but what if his K rate does stay under 25%? That could make him better than Stanton. Dreaming sure, but maybe?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Just wondering if there still anyone out here that still wants to ride Bryant after his 0-4 3 K debut ?

The kid a hitter and a very smart ball player. ...

Who did that? In fact I was the only one on this board who kinda called his debut (1 for 4 2 ks and a run scored)