CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The long, rewarding journey is almost complete!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Except Olt was almost an afterthought in that trade. C.J. Edwards and Justin Grimm were the targets. There was a lot of talk about how crazy it was at the time that they would give up on Olt for that low a value.

Eh... Grimm wasn't much of a prospect at any point. That's not to say he was a bad player but if you're a RP in terms of trade value you're next to nothing. That's why you basically never see any RP in top 100 lists no matter how good said person is. And I don't remember anyone talking about Grimm being a starter even a fringe #5. Obviously we will never know how the cubs themselves viewed each player individually but the initial talk from reports was on Olt and then they figured out who Edwards was and he essentially became the key component.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Eh... Grimm wasn't much of a prospect at any point. That's not to say he was a bad player but if you're a RP in terms of trade value you're next to nothing. That's why you basically never see any RP in top 100 lists no matter how good said person is. And I don't remember anyone talking about Grimm being a starter even a fringe #5. Obviously we will never know how the cubs themselves viewed each player individually but the initial talk from reports was on Olt and then they figured out who Edwards was and he essentially became the key component.

I just remember that the talk was about arms and that the Cubs had inquired about Olt several times before without success. Of course we'll never know but Edwards was really starting to gain value about then and Olt was falling like a stone. I see Baez in a trade right now as being much the same, a fallen prospect. Someone getting him would not be giving you even half of what he would have brought you a year ago. I think you have to gamble on him gaining back some of that value.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I just remember that the talk was about arms and that the Cubs had inquired about Olt several times before without success. Of course we'll never know but Edwards was really starting to gain value about then and Olt was falling like a stone. I see Baez in a trade right now as being much the same, a fallen prospect. Someone getting him would not be giving you even half of what he would have brought you a year ago. I think you have to gamble on him gaining back some of that value.

Oh i'm not saying Olt was top guy. I'd say it was Edwards, Olt, then possibly Ramirez and finally Grimm though I feel like Ramirez and Grimm were more viewed as bullpen arms. To put it into cubs prospect terms at the time of the trade, I think you'd view both Grimm and Ramirez on a similar level to someone like Corey Black which is to say a power arm but basically no shot of the rotation. I think Olt would probably have been something similar to Jeimer Candelario possibly more because of the possibility on a top 50 prospect status and Edwards would be a top 50ish player so say Almora.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Have to think the plan was for Baez to go down for a few weeks and hopefully find his groove and probably be the one getting the recall now over Russell. ..

I haven't heard anything about Baez return to Iowa.. have to wonder if or when he will be mentally ready to start up again. . It may take some time for him to return. .

With Alcantara slump and LaStella injury along with Baez absent, definitely started Russell on that fast track when he was moved to 2B Thursday.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Russell to bat 9th today per Maddon. Smart move, keep the pressure as low as possible. Also said Castro is the SS for 2015, not that we didn't know that already.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Iowa Cubs head coach has had no update on Baez. I have no idea when he will be back. Now, we have a lineup up and down.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There are some younger prospects that might be very attractive in trade. Billy Beane is said to want Billy McKinney back and he'll be attractive to other teams as well. Gleyber Torres is likely to be a top 100 player by next spring and as a SS could be very valuable in a trade package. Vogelbach is looking close to ready as a power hitter and one way or another will likely not be a Cub after this season as he'll be Rule 5 eligible if not added to the 40 man. In other words he'll be offered when trades are discussed and since he's obviously an AL player he'll likely go. There are some other players in the system that might be attractive to other teams as well.

I guess the reason I mention all this is not because I'd have a problem trading Baez but rather because this young man's immediate future is in a lot of doubt. He lost his MLB gig and right after, and more importantly, lost his beloved sister. Tough times for a very young person. It might take him a while to get into playing shape mentally and physically. Or maybe it won't. the point is we don't know and it might be in the Cubs best interest to hang on to him, let him make some changes and work his way back as opposed to selling low in a trade. There are other options.

I dunno. If it's me, I don't move anyone unless his name is Ross. A lot of talent knocking at the door at Wrigley, trying to get in. Unless Grimm and Rameriz are about to hit the 60 day DL, I'm sitting on these kids and waiting for things to sort themselves out.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I dunno. If it's me, I don't move anyone unless his name is Ross. A lot of talent knocking at the door at Wrigley, trying to get in. Unless Grimm and Rameriz are about to hit the 60 day DL, I'm sitting on these kids and waiting for things to sort themselves out.

Well eventually you're going to need another TOR pitcher, probably another high OBP guy and some improved depth. I love what this is becoming but it's far from done.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Russell to bat 9th today per Maddon. Smart move, keep the pressure as low as possible. Also said Castro is the SS for 2015, not that we didn't know that already.

I figured as much. They need more OBA out of that spot.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I figured as much. They need more OBA out of that spot.

We will see what he does, but he has walked less at higher levels and scouts say he is sacrificing power to keep his average up.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I like the bench: Ross: Vet. Castillo: Semi vet, Herrera: Vet, Denorfia: Vet Not one rook getting limited playing time and struggling. Before: Olt Struggle in limited. LaStella: Struggle,2nd year PT, Alcantara struggle again pt, Szczur again rook struggle in limited role.

The teams weakness right now is LF. Cog is a 4th OF not a starting LF in the league. SP is adequate for the regular season. Let it play out and drop the weakest link with the time comes. Pen not sure yet. We will see.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
We will see what he does, but he has walked less at higher levels and scouts say he is sacrificing power to keep his average up.

Rather him worry about OBA more than anything. Maddon has been teaching these guys to not to look for BB. But accept them if they are given. So that is not a concern to me. His OBA at Iowa was .326. For a 9 hitter that would be heaven vs what they have had.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I predicted June. I expectedhim earlier than many people did, andI am still surprised. And thrilled.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I've resigned myself to that experiment, even if I don't love it, and figure Maddon is smarter than me.

Or while Maddon is smarter than you or I, he is not perfect will make mistakes and there will be times that we are right and he is wrong.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Or while Maddon is smarter than you or I, he is not perfect will make mistakes and there will be times that we are right and he is wrong.

True but I don't run the team, he does and while I've spent a lot hours studying this team and watching them play he's spent more because it's his job. Sometimes he'll be wrong and the more egregious of those things I will call him out on but something like the batting order, in which the results look decidedly mixed, I'll accept his decision for now. If I see Jon Lester comes up 5 or 6 more times with the bases loaded to show off his shiny .000 BA I might change my mind.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
True but I don't run the team, he does and while I've spent a lot hours studying this team and watching them play he's spent more because it's his job. Sometimes he'll be wrong and the more egregious of those things I will call him out on but something like the batting order, in which the results look decidedly mixed, I'll accept his decision for now. If I see Jon Lester comes up 5 or 6 more times with the bases loaded to show off his shiny .000 BA I might change my mind.

What matters more is finding a quality bat to go in the 5-7 hole along with Castro and Montero.

Who they have tried:

Coghlan: 10 for 42 2 HR
Alcantara: 2 for 26
Szczur 2 for 10

So 14 for 78 combined. .179 BA... Ya that is getting it done.

We can make complaints about the pitcher hitting this or running 3 catchers but in reality the biggest problem has been LF.