Cubs call up Addison Russell to majors

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
:beerbang:

This is too much excitement for one day

All in baby! Let's f***ing GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm frankly shocked. It honestly is contrary to everything they've said about wanting people to reach a certain number of PAs at each level. Russell isn't even close between AA/AAA. I'm thinking Alcantara probably gets sent down or they send some pitcher down as they were pretty pitching heavy.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
So do the Cubs make a trade now do the Cubs:

A.) Make a trade involving one of Baez or Castro?

B.) Do they just wait the whole Baez situation out and see if he can improve his approach

C.) Develop Baez and switch everyone around when he is ready. Bryant to LF, Baez/Castro/Russell 2B/SS/3B

TL1961

Liked Posts:
WOW.

An infield of Rizzo, Russell, Castro and Byrant. Oh.My.God.

People keep trying to temper expectations (rightly so) by saying some prospects will not become stars.

So, as it stands today - or tomorrow, actually - Bryant - Castro - Russell - Rizzo is your young, talented IF that is under contract for years to come.

If we get absolutely NOTHING from Olt, Lake, Baez, Alcantara......the IF is in GREAT shape.

And does anyone believe we get nothing from that group? OK, we may never see Olt or Lake again. But Mendy can play this game, and Baez isn't likely to just disappear.

But even if they all disappear, the IF and Soler are 5 really nice pieces. Hopefully Schwarber continues his pace. And we have some other guys in the minors who are better than most we had in years prior. A couple 3rd base prospects who will be blocked, and McKinney and Almora.

Nice!!

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:

B.) Do they just wait the whole Baez situation out and see if he can improve his approach

C.) Develop Baez and switch everyone around when he is ready. Bryant to LF, Baez/Castro/Russell 2B/SS/3B

I would feel a lot more comfortable trading Baez. Castro is a proven player and is still very young. I'd be pissed if we traded him

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Trading Baez now makes no sense. Classic example of selling low.

Let's not forget Alcantara and Baez are still very young, and don't have a lot of experience. I don't think we're anywhere close to giving up on them. (Hell, give them as many chances as Vitters and Jackson!)

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Castro can't go and Baez trade value is too low. Hang on to everyone, it leaves room for 1 bust....I'm looking at you, Javier

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I mean the move is pretty obvious if you ask me. They called up Russell because they were getting jack shit out of 2B between Alcantara and Herrera. It seems pretty clear that they are going for it this year by making this move. So to answer the questions, there's no way they are trading Castro if they are going for it because that creates another hole. As for what they do with Baez et al, think you see them sniff around at people during the trade deadline but honestly what's there to buy at the moment? You could argue maybe an upgrade over Cogs in LF but it's not super pressing and with Schwarber not that far off it's not really worth giving up someone like Almora for a short term piece. The rest of the positional players are pretty talented. As far as pitching, you could argue maybe they go after a starter. However, it's not like their starters have been that bad. Their bullpen is slightly banged up but you don't move Baez for bullpen help.

Overall, I think the move is just to wait until someone you can't pass up becomes available. I don't think that person is Cole Hamels.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:

Simple. I thinking you wait a little longer on Baez. He's far way from being ready so keep him another year in the minors and if next season if he hasnt shown any major improvement you trade him.

HCWS58

Liked Posts:
WOW.

An infield of Rizzo, Russell, Castro and Byrant. Oh.My.God.

67794-Jonah-Hill-six-to-midnight-gif-QiVg.gif

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Russell will take some time to adjust. He basically played in AAA for a week and a half

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is one of the most exciting weeks of Cubs baseball I've ever witnessed, this is one of the most exciting teams in baseball to watch. Think of the problem we have with Javy in AAA figuring his shit out, with Schwarber, Almora, Mckinney, etc. all still down there and looking for a shot. The puzzle is coming together, hopefully we can maximize our ability to win with this squad, the age and chemistry is extremely good to see.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Would love to see Edwards and Underwood start to really blossom into everyday pitchers. If we can get them to develop properly, the Cubs can hunt and peck for TOR starters down the road.

The payroll flexibility should allow them to virtually spend money on any player, and also, guys will want to play for the Cubs instead of playing for every team BUT the Cubs. :fap: