Close
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have a HP that work bought me years ago. Cartridges look like this:

You are saying I can just drill a hole into the tank, fill it, plug it, and then be good?

2. A message from our sponsors.

Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

hmmm, looks like my cartridges have a fucking chip on them that has to get replaced.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not the best printer for cheap ink. I also wrote most of what I did assuming an inkjet. Laser is a few more steps, but completely doable and savings still exist. Not as much savings, but if you go through carts, then it's certainly a good option to have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh_Z30FHSMM

Yeah, since all I really use is black, it doesn't really look like the savings is all that significant. Bummer for me.

I don't blame you. Some printers aren't worth DIY refilling.

But keep in mind, sometimes you'll have full black ink, but still be low on the other color(s), and your printer will not print. Either due to a malfunction or dot tracking.

https://www.eff.org/pages/list-print...-tracking-dots

So another thing people can do, is if a hacked firmware is available for your printer, you can save your yellow/magenta ink/toner by preventing usage. Just something to keep in mind. Long shot for most cases, but possible.

That doesn't seem to be a problem with my model. I have been out of color toner for more than a year and can print without a problem by setting it to black and white in the print dialog.

Thanks for the info tho

Sports Logo Sports Logo

christ.. crys is da macgyver of tech

I have a gray Logitech MX510 that I bought forever ago and it still works great. Probably at least ten years old at this point.

It replaced an MX310 that worked awesome as well but was a little too small for my hand.

I tried the Razrs when they still used a ball and had the worst luck with that, never bought from the company again.
    The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Burque For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just for the record, the extended warranty company (Service Net) Newegg.com uses is also hot garbage. No record of my warranty. Had to CALL newegg for my contract number or they couldn't help me. I gave them every number on the contract PDF newegg emailed me and none were valid. Nor was the serial on the laptop.

Not the type to throw in the towel, but this situation wore thin. I'm going to give this this pile of HP trash one more shot, otherwise I'm out slightly less than $400. I bough a Samsung SSD 850 to use in it, so I can at least cannibalize that somewhere. The new RAM, not so much.

In short, I've have really good experiences with newegg and their RMA service, but I'm kinda pissed about the extended warranty service they use. Oh well, lesson learned.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Found this. Wish it existed:

$400 laptops freak me out

Obviously there is some bias, but its just so hard to imagine finding a laptop that cheap that isn't piece of shit. I'm sure Crys will post how it can be done, but seems like a real crapshoot at that price point. Unless maybe you can find a model that was a top tier machine a couple years ago.

$400 for a laptop? Yeah, buy a good tablet instead. Need a physical keyboard? Buy one. Master it, because a cultural shift is coming.

Desktops will always have a place. Laptops wont because if you follow the logical conclusion of the benefits of a laptop, these are all things a tablet does better. If you follow the logical conclusion of why a tablet is worse than a laptop, then the desktop is better.

Not to mention, as a gamer, you will be able to diversify the types of games you play based on what is available for each platform.

In 4 years, laptops will be even more expensive and come with a much larger premium price tag over desktop counterparts. Thank the rising cost of shrinking lithography(when in the past, it cost significantly less to move to smaller wafer fabrication).

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by botfly10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Obviously there is some bias, but its just so hard to imagine finding a laptop that cheap that isn't piece of shit. I'm sure Crys will post how it can be done, but seems like a real crapshoot at that price point. Unless maybe you can find a model that was a top tier machine a couple years ago.
    And a refurb no less.

For the most part, you get what you pay for. There are exceptions. Got my ASUS under $300 and it's still going strong. Opened it up 3 times - changed the APU, repaired a fan wire, drilled ventilation holes, etc...

At worst, it has a slight thermal expansion problem when powering the unit on battery only. But I can live with that.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Found this. Wish it existed:
    That pretty much exists, and I have one. It's the Logitech G13 gameboard. It's fully customizable, and I use it because I was primarily a console player before I got into PC gaming, so I was used to a controller over keyboard. On the gameboard, you program the WASD keys into the little thumb stick on the bottom right. Then customize the rest of the keys however you like. Use it in conjunction with a mouse, and it's like using a controller but with the precision of mouse/kb.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/pro...nced-gameboard

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Unannounced Fart For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unannounced Fart View Post
    That pretty much exists, and I have one. It's the Logitech G13 gameboard. It's fully customizable, and I use it because I was primarily a console player before I got into PC gaming, so I was used to a controller over keyboard. On the gameboard, you program the WASD keys into the little thumb stick on the bottom right. Then customize the rest of the keys however you like. Use it in conjunction with a mouse, and it's like using a controller but with the precision of mouse/kb.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/pro...nced-gameboard

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 using Tapatalk
    Does it come with a trackball?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by botfly10 View Post

i think i paid 399 or 499 for this laptop i gotz now... 2nd gen i3 toshiba... frys had a sale months before the 3rd gens dropped years ago... its okay.. plays some games..itll run skyrim at low levels....but the laptop more of a mobile (travel) solution at the time... the desktop plays whatever this cant tho.. id still like to upgrade eventually...

idk laptops anymore... we got a surface pro, cheap android and an ipad in da house.... a new rig would be sweet or even just a mac mini just to use a specific software or two...i just dont game much anymore

perhaps you can get a cheap tablet if your mobile and a cheap desktop for gaming wintermute.. you can get a cheap intel g3258... overclock that and itll run some games... they are 50-75 bucks.... im just not sure how dated they are now... and what they can or cant play...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBear View Post
    i think i paid 399 or 499 for this laptop i gotz now... 2nd gen i3 toshiba... frys had a sale months before the 3rd gens dropped years ago... its okay.. plays some games..itll run skyrim at low levels....but the laptop more of a mobile (travel) solution at the time... the desktop plays whatever this cant tho.. id still like to upgrade eventually...

idk laptops anymore... we got a surface pro, cheap android and an ipad in da house.... a new rig would be sweet or even just a mac mini just to use a specific software or two...i just dont game much anymore

perhaps you can get a cheap tablet if your mobile and a cheap desktop for gaming wintermute.. you can get a cheap intel g3258... overclock that and itll run some games... they are 50-75 bucks.... im just not sure how dated they are now... and what they can or cant play...
    I have a mid-range desktop - still running a Phenom II x4 980 - and it plays everything just fine at high graphic settings. Very likely will upgrade to Zen. Not counting on it beating Intel, just crossing my fingers it will be competitive. Reserving judgement, given the hype surrounding Bulldozer, but still can't help but be excited.

Anyway, I bought the laptop so I could run a few my favorite desktop FPS games on the go. Can't beat my desktop discrete graphics card of course, but my old laptop did the job.

I know tablets are all the rage. But for now, I prefer something a little more robust with more horsepower for games, so will probably stick with the laptop. If I need a tablet-esque fix, my smartphone fits the bill.
    Last edited by Wintermute; 07-23-2016 at 09:00 AM. Reason: 980 black

I love my microsoft surface pro 4......don't play games on it, but it is my laptop and tablet at the same time.....I don't compromise on gaming and doing graphic work....

I've got a 5960x 8 core overclocked from 3.0 to 4.3 with 64GB ram on rampage extreme board...........I was debating going from a 980Ti to a 1080, but I think my wife would kill me since we are closing on a house in September....

I am a logitech whore so I have a G502 mouse, G910 orion keyboard and G933 wireless 7.1 headphones...
    What does the Fox say?

run run run run run run pass

What does the Fox say?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Back to the printer topic for just a second, picked up an Epson ET-2650 on sale the other day. Pretty excited. Hope it lives up to the ~2 years of ink hype...

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Found a new trackball to replace my wearing logitech M570. Stumbled on this gem. Love it. DPI low and high switch. Even the wheel rocks left to right. Reviews recommended swapping out balls with old trackman for a smoother experience. Here it is:

Elecom? Wow, never heard of them before.

Well cool, glad you found it and like it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas View Post
    Elecom? Wow, never heard of them before.

Well cool, glad you found it and like it.
    Me neither. Just happended to google 2017 trackball reviews. Japanese company. Since Im too old and set in my ways probably not going to give gaming mice a try. Like logitech but they dont seem to have good longevity.

26. A message from our sponsors.
    Please Register(it's free!) and Login to get rid of this advertisement.

Do you want to advertise with ChiCitySports?
    Ranked #1 Chicagoland sports news and message board online.
    A great opportunity for advertising and exposure, with an active base of fresh consumers always looking for sports-related items and miscellaneous "guy stuff".
    Please go here if you are interested in a multitude of placements on this site.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123