"Bulls prepared to add McGrady"

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think adding McGrady would be a good addition,has he been plagued with injuries and hasnt been as good as he has been the past few years? No. But that doesnt mean he cant be a good player coming off the bench for us and if hes healthy and willing to come off the bench which were looking into,I think he would be a good fit and would make our bench have alot of depth and I had us 4th in the east but with how our bench is turning out I think if we play hard we could maybe get third in the east depending on how our rotation goes with players and what not. Either way it makes things more interesting and we have more to look forward to when the season starts.
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5408617

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
Re:

i'd rather sign doug thonus. Maybe bring back lindsey hunter. anything but mcgrady.

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Re:

I really dont think itll be that bad adding him.Is it the best signing? No,but it sure isnt the worst. I just hope they dont overpay him,if that happens then I'll have a problem with it.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
Re:

we need shooters. with bogans and mason available, we should go after them. they seem more likely to be able to shoot as well as play an end of the bench role

MikeMeraz

Liked Posts:
Wow I'm shocked. T-Mac bring your happy ass to Chicago. I'm here with open arms son. If he's healthy he can be an important asset on our team.

What are they talking about Brewer starting over T-Mac? I'm sorry that just doesn't make sense. Everyone is putting down T-mac so much, saying give me anything but T-mac, he's trash, he can't play no more, "to say that he is a mere shell of what he used to be is an understatement". I can't wait for this guy to prove all you guys wrong.

T-mac? I'm with you man. Prove them wrong.

mlewinth

Liked Posts:
I tell you...I am 100% on board. Look, there is no denying, our weakest position is the 2 guard. Now I like the solid moves we have made with great role players in Brewer and Korver. Lets be honest. This offseason, we wanted a dynamic backcourt mate to pair with Derrick Rose and honestly, that just didnt't happen.

First let's assume McGrady is willing to take a 1-2 year deal at the minimum. Tracy McGrady is ONLY 31 years old. He is a 7 time all-star. 2 time scoring champion. He was NBA first team twice. Second team three times and third, 2 times, as recently as 2008. McGrady had a couple injury plauged years, true, but he was also thrown to the curb by Houston last season and never really given a chance (albiet deservingly so). On New York, McGrady was poorly coached and sporatically used. Yes, McGrady ave only 9 ppg last year, but lets look at this. McGrady took 15 or more shots in a game three times in February, going 10-17 for 26 ppg and 8-14 for 23ppg. By February, the Knicks used him very inconsistantly, giving him an avg of 8 shot attempts pg. By March he was barely playing. McGrady has had a few tough years. But in his most recent healthy year, 07-08, he avg 21 ppg, he lowest over the previous 8 seasons.

If McGrady provides little financial risk in his contract, I think there is no question that he could be feeling extreamly driven and ready to prove people wrong who didnt think McGrady could win. We provide McHrady a great chance to win, while beining a 3rd-4th option on offense. That is the perfect opportunity to maybe rejuvinate your career. If McGrady has anything left in the tank and has any desire to reestablish himself, Chicago just might be the perfect place to do it.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
Re:

we should bring back AI and shaq too. we'll be 2002 all star team. a dream come true!

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Re:

pinkizdead wrote:
we should bring back AI and shaq too. we'll be 2002 all star team. a dream come true!
Now youre just over exaggerating.TMAC is only 30 and has more upside than AI or Shaq.Plus Mike Miller on Miami is 30 years old while TMAC will be turning 32. If Miller can play I dont think it will kill us having TMAC coming off the bench. Plus on a side note if AI
didnt have complain all the time and cause drama he would be good coming off the bench and if he would accept that role for a team. But Shaq IMO should probably stop playing now. I really dont know why you wouldnt want TMAC coming here.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Re:

I see no problems with McGrady IF the following occurs:
1) He doesn't have an attitude problem. This team's success will depend on chemistry (and health, but assuming perfect health) and if he sabotages that, I want no part of him. He is a role player now and he needs to accept that.
2) He accepts a minimum level contract. Something like 1 or 2 million or a similar amount that makes this move financially a low risk one. Plus if he's unhealthy or a cancer, it would be easy to get rid of him. This should be easy to accomplish.
3) He's healthy. A healthy TMAC has the potential to be a solid contributor on this team. If he's not healthy, he then becomes less productive and will not help win games. Plus, he needs to be in shape. His athleticism is all but gone, so if he's unhealthy, he will be a super liability on defense (as opposed to just a liability :lol:).
4) He has to be willing to play defense. He's not good, he's not even average on D (at least not since his rookie season). He won't be anywhere close to that, but he needs to try. Kyle Korver sucks defensively, but he tries. McGrady needs to do at least that. With Thiibodeau coaching, I think there's a good chance this happens.
5) He puts the team first. He doesn't have the skill or reason to revert back to his selfish ways like he's back in Orlando. He needs to play team first basketball. This, I think, will be one of the harder ones for him to do. However, coming off the bench will allow him a little more free reign to do his thing, since it's just 2nd string guys.

All that happens, McGrady will be a very nice pickup and a good addition to the team.

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Re:

Which is pretty much the same way I see it if he can do these things. Main two im only really worried about is the money issue,i really hope we dont overpay for him and if he doesnt have an attitude problem with coming off the bench.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Re:

All that happens, McGrady will be a very nice pickup and a good addition to the team.

If you listen to him talking to the press after the workout....I don't think he is interested in coming off the bench. Dude still has delusions of grandeur.

Let him go to the Clippers or Heat with that stuff...

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Re:

houheffna wrote:

If you listen to him talking to the press after the workout....I don't think he is interested in coming off the bench. Dude still has delusions of grandeur.

I think he said something like he wants to prove that he can be a starter. He's not going to prove it, and if he won't accept the bench role, Bulls management has already said they won't sign him.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Re:

houheffna wrote:

Agree whole heartedly. First off he's talking like he's already a Bull. Secondly, he says "without me" to start off his comments on how he'd help improve the team. THE GUY HAS NOT GOTTEN IT. Just let him walk. We don't need this "Me-Mac" attitude on the team.

And Mark, he wasn't kicked to the curb by Houston. His own teammates went to management to request that he not be on the team. You can't get a bigger red flag than that. Not to mention he's quit on his coaches in the past & has brought his "Me-Mac" attitude (thanks to Orlando beat writers for coining that gem) wherever he's gone. The only way I would even remotely accept him on this team is if his contract is vet minimum & non-guaranteed. Judging by what he's said, I don't think that's what HE thinks he should get.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
Re:

mlewinth wrote:
But in his most recent healthy year, 07-08, he avg 21 ppg, he lowest over the previous 8 seasons.

See this is my problem with McGrady. Great scoring totals, but he scores so inefficiently, so the totals are only half the story. The way people talk about McGrady you'd think he was on the level of the top guys when healthy, but outside one outstanding year with Orlando he's been a volume scorer who does so by taking and missing a lot of shots.

McGrady's year when he put up 32 points on 46/39/79 shooting was amazing, but outside that he's never been as good as the raw scoring totals suggest. He doesn't get to the line as much as the elite guys and he doesn't shoot as well from the field. Yet he chucks up shots at an alarming rate.

In general I don't believe in judging players by wins because a lot of it depends on your supporting cast, but in McGrady's case I think you can pin a lot of his failure to win a playoff series squarly on the fact he's not as good as he thinks he is.

Which makes me wonder why anyone thinks that sounds like a guy who'd make a good role player. And anyone expecting a revival, well screw that, give TMac free reign to try to be a star and you'll be enjoying our new lottery pick come this time next year.