Chicago Fire beat 10-man New York City FC, Rapids draw with FC Dallas

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-...-beat-new-york-city-fc-in-major-league-soccer

David Accam scored an early first-half goal and the Chicago Fire beat 10-man New York City FC 1-0 on Friday night.

Chicago won its third straight game, while NYCFC had its winless streak reach six.

Accam capitalized on a defensive mistake in the 20th minute. NYCFC backup goalkeeper Ryan Meara came out of his area to prevent the ball from going out of bounds, but he mishandled it and Accam dribbled back to an empty net.

Accam put pressure on NYCFC's defense for most of the game. He was taken down from behind on a breakaway in the 23rd minute, which sent Andrew Jacobson off the field with a red card. He also curled a shot off the post in the first half and forced quality saves by Meara in the 63rd and 83rd minutes.

Meara started in place of Josh Saunders who was suspended one game Thursday for a high foot against Portland.

Nick LaBrocca scored in the 79th minute and the Colorado Rapids tied 10-man FC Dallas 1-1 on Friday night.

Colorado ended its long winless and scoreless streaks 14 days ago with a 4-0 victory at Dallas (4-2-2).

LaBrocca's equalizer was a collaborative effort. Lucas Pittinari chipped a ball to the edge of the 6-yard box and Dillon Powers redirected it in front of goal. LaBrocca beat goalkeeper Dan Kennedy to the loose ball and slid it in before the two collided.

Dallas opened the scoring in the 31st minute when Mauro Diaz capped Fabian Castillo's skilled individual effort. Castillo dribbled down the right sideline, zigzagged through the defense in the penalty box with two stunning cutbacks and found Diaz at the far post.

FC Dallas played most of the second half a man down after Blas Perez was handed a red card in the 59th minute for a foul against Drew Moor.

CreepyBasementGuy

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Accam has become every Fire fan's new favorite player. I only caught the last 30+ minutes of the match but from highlights and from what I've seen from him,he makes plays. Granted that goal was a gift, he was constantly making good plays and putting himself in the right positions to score.

Would have liked to see Villa play and NYCFC not go shorthanded just to get a nice quality match but I'll take the 3 points.

But.....3 straight wins for the Fire!! Miracles DO happen! MLS Championship Baby!

CreepyBasementGuy

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Off topic, but to anyone reading this...there are 3 games in a row on Sunday that all should be high quality and entertaining.

NY vs LA, ESPN2 5pm
ORL vs TOR, FS1 7pm
Then the game I can't wait for SEA vs POR, FS1 9 30pm

Back to back to back great matches. And hey, no Bulls or Blackhawks on Sunday, what else are ya gonna be doing =p

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Off topic, but to anyone reading this...there are 3 games in a row on Sunday that all should be high quality and entertaining.

NY vs LA, ESPN2 5pm
ORL vs TOR, FS1 7pm

Back to back to back great matches. And hey, no Bulls or Blackhawks on Sunday, what else are ya gonna be doing =p

:fap:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I was at the game fwiw, 19124 attendance, highest I've been too for a regular season game

giaco

Liked Posts:
This really should have been the Fire's chance to put the enemy to the sword and Fire a warning shot to the rest of the league (re: our offense), but we only scored once off a bad goalkeeping blunder. True, the post and some heroics from Maera (weired to say that, given the first goal), kept this in check. But a 1-nil win doesn't scare anyone.

Although, maybe that works to our long-term goal of taking the league by surprise. That is, if you feel we have the staff and team to really win something.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
This really should have been the Fire's chance to put the enemy to the sword and Fire a warning shot to the rest of the league (re: our offense), but we only scored once off a bad goalkeeping blunder. True, the post and some heroics from Maera (weired to say that, given the first goal), kept this in check. But a 1-nil win doesn't scare anyone.

Although, maybe that works to our long-term goal of taking the league by surprise. That is, if you feel we have the staff and team to really win something.

I'll take being in a playoff spot for now, what the future holds I have no idea.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

NY vs LA, ESPN2 5pm
ORL vs TOR, FS1 7pm

The only positive I took out of that match was that, at times, the visiting Timbers Army chants drowned out "The Pod" (a.k.a. Emerald City Supporters) chants on their home turf.

The rest of the time PTFC looked out played, the goal was Charmin™ soft, and the best 3 chanes we had were offside, and 2 off the crossbar (which as a Timbers Army member did feel like they beskidded the waistband of their underwear in a toilet emergency).

Hoping for a better result in Vancouver next week.

P.S. Good luck to the Fire up to August 7. ;)

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
The only positive I took out of that match was that, at times, the visiting Timbers Army chants drowned out "The Pod" (a.k.a. Emerald City Supporters) chants on their home turf.

The rest of the time PTFC looked out played, the goal was Charmin™ soft, and the best 3 chanes we had were offside, and 2 off the crossbar (which as a Timbers Army member did feel like they beskidded the waistband of their underwear in a toilet emergency).

Hoping for a better result in Vancouver next week.

P.S. Good luck to the Fire up to August 7. ;)

No 67K crowd either

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No 67K crowd either
Even though I'm relatively new to the whole soccer thing (a buddy got me into it by taking me to a Timbers/Sounders match back when they were both USL), I can safely say that the only reason the Timbers don't have the same crowd numbers that the Sounders do is because Providence park is not as big as Centurylink field. I think Portland and Vancouver would easily put up the same numbers if they had the size of the stadium :)

I do have to say, though, I have a lot of respect for Section 8. I met a few of them when they traveled to our inaugural home game. Great group of supporters the Fire have :).:beer:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Even though I'm relatively new to the whole soccer thing (a buddy got me into it by taking me to a Timbers/Sounders match back when they were both USL), I can safely say that the only reason the Timbers don't have the same crowd numbers that the Sounders do is because Providence park is not as big as Centurylink field. I think Portland and Vancouver would easily put up the same numbers if they had the size of the stadium :)

I do have to say, though, I have a lot of respect for Section 8. I met a few of them when they traveled to our inaugural home game. Great group of supporters the Fire have :).:beer:

No, I meant that Seattle didn't sell out, IK Portland could sell out a huge one