Anyone Playing Total War Attila?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just got this shit and its my first Total War game. Trying to learn this shit and gots all kinds of questions.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Been playing the Total War series since the creation of the series. Love all of the games. Admittedly though, I haven't played Attila yet. I'll try to help where I can.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok, When you start a battle, the AI starts you with your ranged attackers in the front of your lines. Whats up with that? Are you meant to advance the whole army into archer or whatever range and then stop them, while your melee units keep progressing through their lines to engage?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
then, once melee engage, I usually move my archers to flanking position to peg any incoming reinforcements. Does that sound about right? It doesn't seem like they fire into the melee scrum

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
bot, I been playing Total War since the first game.... played Atilla alot the last few months.

The formation it starts you in is just the default, you can rearrange the units and group them pre-battle.

But yeah usually you advance your ranged units ahead of your infantry so they can engage and either pepper the oncoming enemy or soak up the fire of the enemy ranged units while the infantry advance.

As a general order of battle I usually try to have 3-4 ranged units in front, make sure to set their skirmishing mode on so they will fall back away from attacking infantry/cavalry. Then I have my main infantry in the center behind my ranged units, usually 5-7 of them. Then on the flanks of the main infantry I usually have 2 units of spears on either side to handle any cavalry flanking. And last I usually try to have 1-2 units of cavalry of my own on the wings out a bit wide to us for flanking or chasing enemy skirmishers.

Moving your ranged units out to the flanks to pepper any flankers or try to get around and pepper enemy units engaged with your own infantry is a good tactic, I use that myself. In large part because the ranged units you have will try to attack enemy units in front of them, but if your own infantry are between your ranged unit and an enemy infantry unit.... often you kill more of your own infantry than the enemy's.

Which faction are you playing as?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks thats good info. I didn't even know about skirmish mode yet. I am just playing through the prologue now, not even sure what faction they start you on. But I kinda want to get the viking dlc and play them when I start a real campaign.

When you say regular units, what do you mean? Like sword dudes?

And spear units are mostly just to fend off cavalry charges, right? Are they any good for regular melee, or should I keep them out the shit when there is no cavalry?

And I am still trying to figure out how to use cavalry.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thanks thats good info. I didn't even know about skirmish mode yet. I am just playing through the prologue now, not even sure what faction they start you on. But I kinda want to get the viking dlc and play them when I start a real campaign.

And spear units are mostly just to fend off cavalry charges, right? Are they any good for regular melee, or should I keep them out the shit when there is no cavalry?

Imagine Braveheart......to a sense.

So what Ares said is right. When you start the battle, they just essentially line you up in units. Its up to you to organize your units how you want. The more you play, the faster youll become at setting up your units and what formations you want to use for that battle depending on terrain and opposition. Plus, there used to be a button on the war menu for pre selected formations for you to use.

Personally, I line up my archers at a diagonal lines as wide as I can, and put them up front and engage them first. The idea is attempting to funnel in the opposition and getting them caught in a mini crossfire.

Then Ill send in the infantry (regular/sword/spear dudes). And Ill finish up and use my Calvary units to targets the opposing General and his unit bowling through the melee on the way.

Depending on the unit, they have there own advantages. As far as spears and defending the Calvary. Read up on the spear-men units to see if its a strongsuit. I know in the Medieval Total War games (my favorites) they had Pikesman. Those guys were there specifically for anti Calvary purposes. Pikesman have longer and stronger spears on them.

Its a very in depth game, and series. All you can rally do is practice. You will get it by your 5-7th battle. Also, use the tutorials in the battle menu while you can. Those help too. They will describe in depth and as they happen Skirmish, Melee, Hiding in woods, run walk fatigue, etc etc....

Have fun.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah, thanks!

Here is another question, I set up my lines how I want before the start like you guys say. But then when it starts and I want to advance them, how can I move them and get them to stay in the same formation in the same positions and angles and shit relative to each other? When I select them all and click somewhere for the whole army to go, they gradually separate laterally as they go. And over distance, they wind up with big gaps in the line. When I use the preset formations, that doesn't happen, they maintain the arrangement perfectly. It only spreads when i try to set up custom lines and move them all at once.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yeah, thanks!

Here is another question, I set up my lines how I want before the start like you guys say. But then when it starts and I want to advance them, how can I move them and get them to stay in the same formation in the same positions and angles and shit relative to each other? When I select them all and click somewhere for the whole army to go, they gradually separate laterally as they go. And over distance, they wind up with big gaps in the line. When I use the preset formations, that doesn't happen, they maintain the arrangement perfectly. It only spreads when i try to set up custom lines and move them all at once.

Hmmm.....Not sure. Whenever I select them all, and move them, they usually stay. Maybe a work around for you could be to move them in groups to where you want them on the battlefield. Move your archers and get them on place. Then put your infantry where they go and so on. That's a way I keep them tight and organised. I probably use selecting them all then holding down the right mouse button and lining them up that way the most.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I figured it out. If you set them up in tiered lines and with weird angles and shit, you can hit ctrl g to group them in a custom formation and they will stay in it when they move. Or you can pick group in the menu thing

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yeah so the bulk of your infantry is what I meant... and that will shift according to the faction you pick and the stage of the game.... take Saxons for me.... in the beginning you almost exclusively get spearmen infantry, there just isn't much else you can get for a reasonable price. Spears are great defensive units and good against cavalry but in the early games for the Saxons they also make up the regular infantry force as well. Later in the game your units evolve as you do research stuff.... so you will have swords, and spears, and axes as a Saxon player.... that is where I start using the axes for shock value on the charge and the swordsmen as my bulk infantry and spearmen on my flanks to handle the cavalry or flanking maneuvers.

Cavalry you want to use for getting around the enemy flanks and attacking the rear or flank of the enemy units, they can handle themselves with enemy swords or axes, but really do damage to enemy ranged units.... 60 horse can take down several hundred enemy ranged units fairly easily. And last I often keep cavalry to help fend off enemy cavalry which will try to get on your flanks or around to your rear, spearmen on foot will not be able to intercept them if they do that so you often need to keep cavalry honest with your own cavalry.

Last thing, if you engage in battle and have your cavalry available you can often use them to break weak spots in in the enemy units.... if they have a unit wavering or tired you can hit them with a cavalry charge to try to break them and start rolling up the enemy line.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How do you tell if enemy units are wavering or tired?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How do you tell if enemy units are wavering or tired?

You can hover over them and see their status, should tell you their morale level and fatigue level, but they have a graphical bar above the units as well showing sort of a combination of fatigue/morale so you can tell if units are close to breaking.

Another tip.... use your pause button during battles if you get into situations where too much is going on.... often I will march up to an engagement and then pause, give all my attack orders and unpause.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol bot check dis out.... those are Western Roman Rebels whom I was not at war with.... they camped out like that for like 5 turns then they attacked me lol.

IW5f9xS.jpg

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
oh shit, thats terrifying

those motherfuckers

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I play long enough to get good, we should fight

btw, this game is so much better than civilization so far though it would be cool if history progressed like in civ

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
What's a good starter RTS? I don't think going with a Total War game would be the best since I'm a total noob to the genre.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is no such think anymore. Complexity is a motherfucker in all of them now.

Except maybe start with a single player. Multiplayer just gon be frustrating as shit starting out. But you gon have to frontload a lot of learning for any of them, I think.

You could check out starcraft 2, it has a very fun single player campaign that is a good intro.

You can also go check out space marines dawn of war 2

That had a pretty amazing single player campaign. Its kinda old, but is a great game imo. And there is not a ton of micromanagement so potentially good first experience. I

I know a lot of people love company of heroes 2 but that game was a little heavy on the micro and was less fun to me cause of it.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On second thought, I would really suggest that space marines dawn of war 1 or 2 over anything else I can think of.

Here a screenshot:

maxresdefault.jpg

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Thanks. I have Star Wars Empire at War for PC and Brutal Legend on PS3, but I've barely played the latter and haven't really started the former since I've been pretty busy with school (I'm a graduate student now), work (temp job preparing and reviewing taxes for low income clients and families), and life.