Maddon created three runs yesterday

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
If not for his call to do a hit and run, that grounder to second would have been out number 3.

So don't tell me he doesn't contribute to wins.

That is all.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
Not that I disagree with your message. Maddon is awesome.

But Soler's ball was a base hit regardless of whether or not the man was in motion (Deschaies even said that).

Rizzo's double would have scored the runner standing on second and set up 2nd and 3rd regardless with 2 outs. Bryant's base knock drives in the 2 runs.

ZAN

Liked Posts:
I love that I don't feel the need to get up from the couch and do some mundane house chore when the Cubs have 2 out and nobody on. I just know that whoever is up is going to work a deep count and if he gets on Maddon will have him movin.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
If not for his call to do a hit and run, that grounder to second would have been out number 3.

So don't tell me he doesn't contribute to wins.

That is all.

Here's why I choose to not get involved in this argument, what you say is right but so is the counter argument that if Soler didn't hit the ball the runs wouldn't have scored. It's chicken and the egg with baseballs. The better viewpoint is how good Maddon is at putting his players in position to drive in and score runs. The players still have to execute. When you look at it that way you can't quantify how many wins Maddon contributes to. Basically either view is right so why have the discussion?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Here's why I choose to not get involved in this argument, what you say is right but so is the counter argument that if Soler didn't hit the ball the runs wouldn't have scored. It's chicken and the egg with baseballs. The better viewpoint is how good Maddon is at putting his players in position to drive in and score runs. The players still have to execute. When you look at it that way you can't quantify how many wins Maddon contributes to. Basically either view is right so why have the discussion?
Because it's the internet and Brett05 likes to argue? :shrug: :D

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Because it's the internet and Brett05 likes to argue? :shrug: :D

Point. The whole thing gives me a headache. I'm glad Maddon is the manager, my eyes tell me he contributes to wins. I don't need stats or specific instances to do that. these guys believe they can win and that's a lot to do with him.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Point. The whole thing gives me a headache. I'm glad Maddon is the manager, my eyes tell me he contributes to wins. I don't need stats or specific instances to do that. these guys believe they can win and that's a lot to do with him.

the good ole eye test....still the best way

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:

I see it as "contributing" to a win, when a manager puts people in the right positions. We all know that managers help in that, I just don't get why we can't attempt to quantify that contribution to a win? Especially in an age of sabermetrics.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
My thought son Maddon:

I was thrilled when we signed him, and I am very glad we have him.

I am not one who overlooks all his moves and pretends everything is great. He has made late inning moves that were, frankly, very stupid.

But here is one thing my eyes see: The Cubs are doing things now that they haven't done forever. They work the count. They take walks. They take the extra base. Constantly.

I love it. What's next? Throwing out runners at home and/or hitting the cutoff man? Like real teams do?

This team is playing fundamental baseball like we haven't seen in a long, long time. Not a lot of talk in spring training about "we're going to do this. We're going to do that." They just DO it. What a relief.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
It's also cool to see how aggressive we are at stealing bases. Fowler and Rizzo each have 6 and there's been like 3 double steals already. It's great. And the 2 out hitting is insane right now.