General trade discussion

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Mariners turned down a trade offer from the Red Sox in the spring that would’ve seen outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. go to Seattle in exchange for left-handed reliever Charlie Furbush, ESPN Boston’s Gordon Edes reports (Twitter link).

Moving Bradley would’ve helped clear up the outfield surplus that the Sox are still dealing with, though there’s been less of a logjam for playing time than expected given some injuries and a few underperforming players. Furbush has posted solid numbers since 2012 and you have to think he would’ve upgraded a Boston bullpen that entered today with the second-lowest fWAR of any relief corps in the game. That said, Furbush’s 1.86 ERA this season is belied by some shaky peripherals numbers (.185 BABIP, 4.37 xFIP, 3.89 SIERA) so perhaps he might’ve struggled at Fenway Park. Furbush is on a one-year, $1.3MM deal and still has two remaining years of arbitration eligibility.

If this is all the more value wise the Sox were looking for I'd really like to see the cubs go after Bradley. The front office drafted him so they are obviously familiar with him. While he's struggled at the plate he was elite defensively. Over 900ish innings he posted a 22.6 UZR/150 which is gold glove level. He's only 25 and assuming he gets hitting figured out he's probably a better version of what you'd hope Almora is.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Offering Bradley for a good-but-not-elite setup reliever would’ve seemed unthinkable a year ago, when the outfielder was considered one of the consensus top prospects in the game. Over 530 MLB plate appearances in 2013-14, however, Bradley hit a measly .196/.268/.280, posting the second-lowest wRC+ (51) of any player in that stretch with at least 500 PA. The Sox have already seemed to have moved on to Mookie Betts as their center fielder of the future and signed Rusney Castillo to a $72.5MM contract.

It’s hard to see Bradley’s hitting numbers improving with a move to the notoriously pitcher-friendly Safeco Field, and clearly the Mariners had enough concern about his bat that they weren’t willing to pull the trigger on an ex-top prospect who is controllable through 2019. Bradley has shown himself to be a phenomenal defender, and could’ve potentially been a long-term answer in center with Austin Jackson scheduled for free agency after the season.

It is something to mill over. 8.6 BB%. 10 SB. He could be an lead off option if he works on accepting his walks and working on being a SB threat. With Maddon he likes guys to respect 90 so he might have the basic tool set for it.

I don't know what Boston needs though.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It is something to mill over. 8.6 BB%. 10 SB. He could be an lead off option if he works on accepting his walks and working on being a SB threat. With Maddon he likes guys to respect 90 so he might have the basic tool set for it.

I don't know what Boston needs though.

They need pitching. Same as the Cubs. I'm not sure I see a trade fit.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
They need pitching. Same as the Cubs. I'm not sure I see a trade fit.

I mean it depends. Justin Masterson has a 6.37/5.29 ERA/FIP. Joe Kelly has a 5.58/4.38. Wade Miley has a 5.60/4.36. Rick Porcello has a 4.50/4.07. Perhaps they would consider Jackson(if the cubs ate most of his money) or Wood. I mean it's sort of pointless to speculate because we have no idea what their motives are and who they may like. It's possible a change of scenery type trade could work for both teams. All I'm saying is I hope the cubs check in to try and acquire him if that's the going price.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
In a long article primarily about Troy Tulowitzki, Heyman connects the Cubs – among 10 other teams – to the Colorado shortstop on the theory that the Cubs could send a shortstop back to the Rockies in a deal. I’m pretty much going to ignore that part, because I can’t imagine a realistic scenario where the Cubs get involved in any kind of discussions about Tulotwitzki. What intrigued me more was the mention of still-a-free-agent Rafael Soriano, whom Heyman says the Cubs may consider. Soriano, 35, fell out of favor in Washington, but seems likely to still be a productive arm that a team like the Cubs could use in the bullpen. The question, of course, is the cost.

I'm firmly in the camp that Castro isn't going to get traded but I have to admit this is an interesting concept. Ultimately, I'm not really in favor of the idea of Tulow either because while he is potentially an upgrade he's owed a lot of money and he's not really hitting this year. Plus, he's also a bit of an injury risk. But I thought it was an interesting take on the trade Castro concept.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm firmly in the camp that Castro isn't going to get traded but I have to admit this is an interesting concept. Ultimately, I'm not really in favor of the idea of Tulow either because while he is potentially an upgrade he's owed a lot of money and he's not really hitting this year. Plus, he's also a bit of an injury risk. But I thought it was an interesting take on the trade Castro concept.

Bit of an injury risk is an understatement. Lol great player. Fragile like glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked Posts:
Why would the Cubs be interested in Tulowitzki?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They arent, but that doesn't stop Heyman from writing an article anyway. :D

Totally pointless to even think of it. Cubs should be involved in a deal or 3 this year but not for a MI.

Liked Posts:
I wonder if this stuff from Heyman is someone feeding him erroneous information using the Cubs to drive up his value. I also wonder if guys like Heyman have to float a rumor here and there to get real information...sort of the cost of doing business.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I wonder if this stuff from Heyman is someone feeding him erroneous information using the Cubs to drive up his value. I also wonder if guys like Heyman have to float a rumor here and there to get real information...sort of the cost of doing business.

Well potentially another thought is the cubs as a third team. If the cubs were to trade Castro and don't get me wrong I'm not saying they should.... but IF they were, you conceivably could move Tulow to <x> team, Castro to the rockies and <y> to the cubs for something big. Same idea also conceivably works with Baez/Russell...etc.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well potentially another thought is the cubs as a third team. If the cubs were to trade Castro and don't get me wrong I'm not saying they should.... but IF they were, you conceivably could move Tulow to <x> team, Castro to the rockies and <y> to the cubs for something big. Same idea also conceivably works with Baez/Russell...etc.

Tulo -> Mets Castro -> Rocks. Syndagaard-> Cubs. Yep that would do nicely.

Liked Posts:
Tulo -> Mets Castro -> Rocks. Syndagaard-> Cubs. Yep that would do nicely.

It's not completely unrealistic in terms of value. Tulowitzki is a much better player than Castro but when you consider injury and salary, not as much. Plus Castro has a team friendly deal. This combination of things makes the a little closer in value. But it depends on how the Rockies feel. I think a little more might need to be given up to Colorado though because you're also trying to make them ok with not being the ones ending up with Syndegaard.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It's not completely unrealistic in terms of value. Tulowitzki is a much better player than Castro but when you consider injury and salary, not as much. Plus Castro has a team friendly deal. This combination of things makes the a little closer in value. But it depends on how the Rockies feel. I think a little more might need to be given up to Colorado though because you're also trying to make them ok with not being the ones ending up with Syndegaard.

Yeah I don't see this. Colorado is in a division where they're not going to be able to realistically compete for at least a few years and yet they are building some pitching depth in their system. I don't see why they would want Castro, they'd want Syndergaard.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yeah I don't see this. Colorado is in a division where they're not going to be able to realistically compete for at least a few years and yet they are building some pitching depth in their system. I don't see why they would want Castro, they'd want Syndergaard.

Their system is suspect after Grey. Even then Grey lost off his fastball by addapting from a 1 per week guy to a 1 every 5th day guy. His fastball dropped into the 92-94 area for a while. It has peaked again around 97 but he is not that 100 mph guy that he was in college.

That said he is still a TOR prospect. Cubs made the right choice by not selecting him.

With the Rock's system looking like that if they trade Tulo they should also trade Cargo and try to do a lower level surplus buy. Fill up the lower levels with high projection types. Basically use the Cubs plan off attack and tank a few seasons (more) while Grey etc start to stabilize the team.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Beane's reload in Oakland doesn't seem to be working. How long until he starts selling for prospects?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

In terms of your point here, while I can understand them not competing for a little while Castro is only 25. Also, they are loaded with young pitching already and don't have much in terms of hitting prospects. So, while they might want Castro, someone like Baez would probably interest them as possible SS replacement.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
From Heyman via mlb trade rumors.

Some rival execs feel that the Cubs are willing to part with Javier Baez and Dan Vogelbach in trades, in part because each was drafted under the previous administration and is not held in as high a regard by the new front office. Each player comes with issues, however, as Baez is trying to cut down on his swing and improve his contact skills, while a scout described first baseman Vogelbach as a “30 fielder” to Heyman (in reference to the 20-80 scouting scale).

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
In terms of your point here, while I can understand them not competing for a little while Castro is only 25. Also, they are loaded with young pitching already and don't have much in terms of hitting prospects. So, while they might want Castro, someone like Baez would probably interest them as possible SS replacement.

I agree, but again I think they want a pitcher for Tulo so I don't the three team possibility or I guess necessity for them. I think if they were offered a three player package form the Mets with Syndergaard at the top and two solid prospects they'd make that deal. I really don't see the Mets picking up that salary though. I'm starting to think that Baez to the Mets might make sense if he keeps it up in AAA. I just don't what else they'd need for Syndergaard, who I think they are either going to trade or are smokescreening as a target because they really want to trade Matz. You'd think it was the opposite though with Matz a Long Island kid. You still have to sell tickets.