Potential Bulls Head Coaching Candidates

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Bulls may have interest but thats only after Hoiberg says no

its no secret that Fred is clearly the #1 guy and has been

Yeah, but they need to put Kenny Atkinson on the top of the list. Rather have him than Gentry in my opinion.

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What about Atkinson do you like so much? I do not know anything about him.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Wojnarowski On Bulls’ Future: ‘Fred Hoiberg Is Really The Only Candidate’

With the Bulls being eliminated by the Cavaliers on Thursday night in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference semifinals, all attention now turns to the future of Chicago coach Tom Thibodeau, who has a well-documented contentious relationship with the front office.

It’s simply a matter of when, not if, Thibodeau and the Bulls part ways, according to numerous reports. And after that time comes, Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg will be the top candidate with no other competition, Yahoo Sports NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski said Friday in an interview with the Spiegel and Goff Show.

“The job will be Fred Hoiberg’s if he wants it,” Wojnarowski said. “There’s not going to be any competition for him. Now, it’s conceivable that Fred Hoiberg decides to stay at Iowa State, but if they make a change and Tom Thibodeau is out, Fred Hoiberg is really the only candidate for this job from the Bulls perspective. But that doesn’t guarantee that he’s going to do it. I know he’s already had to give it thought because it’s real.

“He knows what’s coming. Everybody does.”

Hoiberg and Bulls general manager Gar Forman have a close relationship. Forman was an assistant coach when Hoiberg played at Iowa State in the mid-1990s.

“They have history, and they have a relationship,” Wojnarowski said. “They have a trust there, and I think that’s what they’re looking for here, from the Bulls’ perspective.”

Before getting too far, Thibodeau’s exit must be choreographed. There are two logical routes for that to happen.

Thibodeau could be receptive to leaving and give the Bulls the opportunity to trade him for draft pick compensation. Or Thibodeau could play hardball and force the Bulls to fire him, at which point they’d be on the hook for the money on the final two years of his contract.

It’s worth noting that if Thibodeau lands a job leading another team next year, there’s offset language so that the Bulls wouldn’t have to pay all the money left on his contract, Wojnarowski said.

The Pelicans, Magic and Nuggets have open jobs. New Orleans’ is considered the most appealing because of 22-year-old Anthony Davis’ rise to superstardom.

“With the New Orleans job open — the appeal is as good as it gets in the league — what will Tom want?” Wojnarowski said. “Will he want personnel control somewhere? Will he want to be a president and hire a GM to run the team? Will he be satisfied with just coaching?

“Those are the questions Tom has got to answer for himself and the people around him are going to have to help him answer.

“If you’re the Bulls, you want to get out of this A) without having to pay him or pay as low as possible and you’d like to be able to get a draft pick from a team. I don’t know that Orlando is going to give up one. They’re not going to give up that first-round lottery (pick). That’s not happening.

“Maybe a second-round picks is conceivable. The Clippers gave up a first-round pick for Doc Rivers, but they were contenders with a late pick. Orlando’s a lottery team. They’re not giving up a lottery pick for him. I’m sure the Bulls will ask for it.

“I think this thing stretches out. I think it’s going to be complicated.”

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/05...re-fred-hoiberg-is-really-the-only-candidate/

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Thibs overall is a great coach. Yes, a GREAT coach. But he's taken the Bulls as far as he can. That much is obvious. It's time to move on. He's not the guy who's going to bring an NBA championship back to Chicago.

Who is that guy? I have no idea. Is it the mayor? Someone else? Doesn't mean you don't go looking.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can believe that Hoiberg is the first option and that the job is his if he wants to leave. I'm just not sure if he wants to leave.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I can believe that Hoiberg is the first option and that the job is his if he wants to leave. I'm just not sure if he wants to leave.
Woj is just blowing smoke again...probably.

I've heard elsewhere Alvin Gentry is their first choice.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Also possible. I'm just saying I can see Hoiberg being the first choice it's believable. As for what's actually true, I have no clue. Imo it really depends on what they do with the roster more so than who they pick as coach. If they're going to roll with the same roster the coach becomes more important. If they're gonna blow it up and rebuild, it may not actually matter.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
I've heard from multiple sources here in central Iowa that the job is Hoiberg's to turn down. Unless he wants to stay in Ames (and there's plenty of reasons for him to do that), he'll be the next Bulls coach once Thibs is gone.

KingDarude7

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Phil Jackson damnit. He's getting up there and won't coach again though.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:

the guy that reported that somewhat retracted his statement saying Fred is indeed the #1 option

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
the guy that reported that somewhat retracted his statement saying Fred is indeed the #1 option

I have no doubt Hoiberg is probably their top target, but they are also cautious and realistic. Meaning if he doesn't want to come, there isn't shit they can do about it.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
We're also not likely to hear much concrete until the Bulls actually do whatever it is they're going to do with Thibs.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
considering the connections he has with the FO....i kinda feel it was already prearranged...would they go this hard for him and make it clear as day he would be the one to take thibs spot if they didn't already feel him out?

i guess they could be that stupid...we'll have to see...they are gonna look foolish if he says no though

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
considering the connections he has with the FO....i kinda feel it was already prearranged...would they go this hard for him and make it clear as day he would be the one to take thibs spot if they didn't already feel him out?

i guess they could be that stupid...we'll have to see...they are gonna look foolish if he says no though
I just hope that if he is hired he doesn't end up like Tim Floyd.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I just hope that if he is hired he doesn't end up like Tim Floyd.
Probably won't given Hoiberg has NBA FO experience. Lets along playing experience.

Floyd was a nobody who road the media wave of being a hot shot.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Probably won't given Hoiberg has NBA FO experience. Lets along playing experience.

Floyd was a nobody who road the media wave of being a hot shot.
I'm just in a depressed mood. Brain can't fathom positive outcomes.