Potential Bulls Head Coaching Candidates

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
I read somewhere earlier that the FO already reached out to Hoiberg during this season about taking over. If that is true, it is almost a mirror image of what happened during Phil Jackson's final season with the Bulls. None of that would surprise me. As many have said, there is history (GOOD history) between Foreman, as well as Pax, with Hoiberg.

At this point, who really knows? Tom still has two years left on his contract that they have to figure out a mutual parting on. However, it's clear as day that Thibs is done in Chicago. I feel the same with Taj Gibson as well. He will be the first player on the trade block for the team, and could be traded during the draft. There's simply no need for 4 big men who all command starting minutes. Gasol is not going anywhere. The FO loves him. They see him as the perfect mentor for Mirotic, which he served well as this year, and had a career renaissance in his first season with the team. Plus his contract is an ultimate steal at this point. Noah, as much as his offensive game was a joke this year, is the heart and soul of the team. On top of that, he's a pillar in the community of Chicago & Rose's closest friend on the team. With one year left on his deal, I can see the FO keeping him and hoping for a return to form with a different head coach.

All in all, this just plain sucks on all sides. Thibs never got a chance, outside of the lockout shortened season, with a fully healthy roster and a decently working offense to match his stellar defense. Despite that, he was instrumental in developing the players on his team (Rose: MVP in first season under Thibs; Deng: 2-time all-star; Noah: all-star & DPOY; Butler: all-star & MIP). The constant injuries for players robbed not only the team, but all us fans, of the chance of perennial championship level play. The East is still bad so there's hope of a quick ascension back to the top but there is a lot resting on Mirotic and McDermott becoming very good players & Rose returning to close to his MVP form again. The future isn't looking that bright and it's a sad, sad day for all of us.

DCguy

Liked Posts:
I want no part of Hoiberg. I really have no issues with thibs as the coach. I really hope these are just rumors.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Salary cap looks a little hazy as well.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I think signing Hoiberg would result in more Tim Floyd than Phil Jackson.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
I want no part of Hoiberg. I really have no issues with thibs as the coach. I really hope these are just rumors.

Agreed. I am ok with Thibs, actually, and I definitely want no part of Hoiberg, let alone any college coach...

IF we must get a new coach, out of the 10 mentioned ---

Kenny Atkinson, Atlanta Hawks assistant coach

Ettore Messina, San Antonio Spurs assistant coach

Ime Udoka, San Antonio Spurs assistant coach

Anyone with Spurs ties has to be worth it. Atkinson being the offensive leader as he is is well deserving.

Why not Alvin Gentry? He's past his prime in my eyes... Might as well have Del Negro behind the bench again if we go that route.

Personally, though, I'd rather keep Thibs here. Lets be honest... theres teams salivating over the fact he might be leaving the Bulls. Teams like the Pelicans, for example, are looking at him. If teams like the Pelicans are interested in having him, then that alone should be enough of a reason to keep him.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
I think signing Hoiberg would result in more Tim Floyd than Phil Jackson.

A lot of NBA executives would disagree with you. I followed Floyd's career at ISU and now Hoiberg's. (I live 30 minutes from Ames and I'm a Northern Iowa fan). Nowhere near the same guy making the transition from college to the pros that Floyd was - far more NBA experience (player and front office), better adapted NBA style with his iso offense, and well liked by everyone he comes in contact with because he's a hell of a great guy who doesn't take himself too seriously (anti-Thibs). He would kill it in Chicago. Very similar path to Steve Kerr. That said, I don't know if they can get him to leave ISU. Let's hope they can.

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:

Can I ask why? Is it purely because he's from a college program? Do you even know anything about him and his NBA background, or are you just fearing the unknown?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
A lot of NBA executives would disagree with you. I followed Floyd's career at ISU and now Hoiberg's. (I live 30 minutes from Ames and I'm a Northern Iowa fan). Nowhere near the same guy making the transition from college to the pros that Floyd was - far more NBA experience (player and front office), better adapted NBA style with his iso offense, and well liked by everyone he comes in contact with because he's a hell of a great guy. He would kill it in Chicago. Very similar path to Steve Kerr. That said, I don't know if they can get him to leave ISU. Let's hope they can.

Good for them. I don't take issue with disagreement. Hoiberg is going to be more Tim Floyd(who he played under) than Phil Jackson(who Kerr played under, as well as Pop).

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
If you had to bring back a former Bulls coach not named Phil Jackson. Who would it be?

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
If you had to bring back a former Bulls coach not named Phil Jackson. Who would it be?

Tough one. I wouldn't bring Sloan back, because he's too old and too similar to Thibs, although he might actually be a better coach that builds a better culture and structure all-around. And I definitely wouldn't touch Skiles the headcase idiot-coach who belongs in the Napoleon syndrome hair club for men.

Pete Meyers might be okay... if we wanted to be in NBA purgatory for 8+ years.

Doug Collins is up there, but can still coach. Not sure where he would take us. But if I HAD to choose, I'm going with Collins, and not because I'm particularly happy with that kind of a move. Heck, I think if Tim Floyd had a second go, he would do much better. But the fans would never give him that fair shake and every headline after a loss would be the signature Chicago knee-jerk fan reaction.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The only non Phil Jackson Bulls coach I'd bring back is Jim Cleamons.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Can you find me an article that isn't over 2 years old?

really? you think he was some sorta flash in the pan and teams aren't still interested in him anymore?

he was considered for the Warriors job just last year

they aren't rumors...its not even smoke anymore....its engulfed in flames

thibs is gone and they want freddy

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Guy has had 2 heart surgeries already at age 42...Has a pacemaker and will be on blood thinners for the rest of his life.

Not saying he isn't a good coach but the pressure and longevity of his coaching career could be a serious problem...

Rustysurf83

Liked Posts:
really? you think he was some sorta flash in the pan and teams aren't still interested in him anymore?

he was considered for the Warriors job just last year

they aren't rumors...its not even smoke anymore....its engulfed in flames

thibs is gone and they want freddy

I think his medical condition, rumors surrounding his demeanor during the Warriors deal, and his first round exit this year certainly don't help. I haven't seen him mentioned as a serious candidate for Orlando or NO...

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think his medical condition, rumors surrounding his demeanor during the Warriors deal, and his first round exit this year certainly don't help. I haven't seen him mentioned as a serious candidate for Orlando or NO...
With what you have listed, I think his medical condition is the only drawback. The Golden State interview.....meh, could be a combination of things: was he the #1 candidate, did he know about the Bulls prior? I understand it doesn't look good, but I don't think it's a drawback. The first round exit I think means nothing to NBA execs when you consider it being a single elimination tournament. If it was best of three would they have advanced? My gut says yes.

Quite frankly, given the rosters of both teams if I were him I'd prefer the Magic. Payton, Oladipo, Gordon (Aaron).....plus Matt Lloyd doing your scouting - much better in my opinion.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I have to laugh at all the pessimistic little shits who don't think the Chicago Fucking Bulls can get a college coach from fucking Iowa State. Are you guys fucking kidding me?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
longevity of his coaching career could be a serious problem...

We don't need a coach for the next 20 years. We need a coach to get us over the hump. Maybe he drops dead after 3 years of excellent coaching. I'll take that.