A Little Martz Good for Cutler, Bears

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
a (very) little something on an otherwise slow news day....

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/20...am-gase-good-jay-cutler-chicago-bears-offense

Jay Cutler spent two forgettable years under offensive coordinator Mike Martz. That time is generally not remembered well by Bears fans, but new offensive coordinator Adam Gase's connection to Martz philosophies should be considered a good thing.

There is usually little of interest that comes out of teams' minicamps. The no-contact, position drill camps are so limited, with no 11-on-11 drills, that there isn't much to be learned from them by fans or media.

So fans are left to rely on the press conferences, especially when there is a new coaching staff such as with Chicago this season.

Offensive coordinator Adam Gase met with the Chicago media for the first time last week since being hired onto John Fox's staff and gave the usual glowing assessment of working with Jay Cutler that every other coordinator has said. "It's great, he's great, everything's great, we're going to be sharing gelato and secrets at team-approved sleepovers."

Ideally it will end better than the others, when they aren't talking and ignoring one or the other on the sidelines. At least this time Cutler might not get another chance to start over.

Anyway, one thing Gase said about his offense installation did catch the eye of team observers.

From Moon Mullin at CSNChicago:

"He's worked with a couple different guys; the good thing is, he's heard a few things that I say," Gase said last weekend. "He'll look at me and kind of, 'That's a little Martz'ist right there'."

Now when people heard that they remembered the bad times: seven step drops, sacks, end arounds to Earl Bennett. But really, an argument is there that Cutler was playing his best football as a Bear under Martz.

From CBSSports:

The reason for the lower number under Martz is because Martz took freedom away from Cutler and asserted his control over his quarterback. Under Martz, Cutler couldn't audible at the line of scrimmage and his reads were more limited. In essence, Martz tried to simplify the game for Cutler.

That's not to say Cutler wasn't frustrated with the restraints placed upon him. Like all quarterbacks, Cutler wants freedom to operate within the system. But if his nine-year career has proven anything, it's that Cutler doesn't deserve that freedom. He's a very talented quarterback who, if not for his massive contract, would be sought after by more than a few teams that are currently deprived of a proper NFL quarterback.

Now the CBS articles claims Cutler's interception percentage dropped significantly under Martz but the numbers I used from his pro-football-reference page don't match that.

I am only going to look at the numbers of Cutler using Martz and Marc Trestman for the simple reasoning that he played nearly an identical number of games under each coach.

Under Martz, Cutler had a 3.1 percent interception rate, under Trestman he had 3.3 percent.

While this may seem negligible, he threw considerably more passes with Trestman 916 to 746 and that is in one fewer game under Martz (25 to 26). Percentages can be misleading because a straight comparison without considering the sample size skews the results. This means that in pure numbers Cutler was still ahead under Martz than under Trestman.

He was intercepted once every 32.4 passes attempted under Martz and every 30.5 passes under the latest regime. Under Trestman, Cutler attempted 35.2 passes per game and under Martz that number was 29.8. While five fewer attempts per game doesn't seem like much, it means that under Trestman, Cutler was likely to be intercepted once per game!

While there is little debating that the Martz era in Chicago ended up being a disaster, it did result in the team's last playoff appearance and postseason win. There are elements of the Martzfense that really did benefit Cutler. From NFL.com's Kevin Patra:

The Martz reference likely wasn't about Gase implementing a plethora of no-help, seven-step drop, all-vertical plays. Rather it was a call back to the strict limitations that offense put on the quarterback, taking some of the decision-making out of the process. Since decision-making has been one of Cutler's biggest weaknesses, that could be a good thing.
Cutler's decision-making has long been one of his biggest issues, in fact Lester was writing about it way back in 2010! In Chicago Cutler has never come close to the heights he reached in Denver under Mike Shanahan, whose system uses half-field reads and limits what the QB processes.

According to Mullin, Gase has been talking with some of Cutler's former coaches to figure out what is wrong with his decision-making process.

Gase solicited insights from a number of Cutler's former coaches (who were not universally down on their sometimes-wayward quarterback, sources said), will curtail Cutler's options by way of audibles, for instance.

Gase served under Martz in Detroit (2006-07) and San Francisco (2008) and so I'm sure he's one of the guys that Gase has consulted. They have a mutual respect for one another.

Plus Martz has proven he knows how to coax a little performance out of Cutler.

Jechang

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Martz reference likely wasn't about Gase implementing a plethora of no-help, seven-step drop, all-vertical plays. Rather it was a call back to the strict limitations that offense put on the quarterback, taking some of the decision-making out of the process. Since decision-making has been one of Cutler's biggest weaknesses, that could be a good thing.

Can't really say I know much about Gase's offensive, but seems strange to reach this conclusion about the guy who was just recently working with the QB most known for changing plays at the line... What actual evidence is there that Gase likes to put restrictions on the QB?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
As long as he doesnt call an end-around with a WR on a 3rd and 8 in the playoffs with the game on the line, I am okay with it

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know if I would call the Martz years "forgettable"

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Gase knows Cutler can be like Manning and will coach him up. I could see cutler becoming sort of a second coach this year, but on the field throwing touchdowns instead of on the sidelines holding clipboards and iPads.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This is actually encouraging. I felt like once Martz started running the damn ball, Cutler didn't scare me as much.

mecha

Liked Posts:
forgettable. yet everyone cites Cutler in 2011 before going on IR as one of his most productive years. the lol

Cutler's been a victim of lacking continuity. it's like the Oakland Raiders coaching carousel, only on a more minute scale. so I'm hoping this works to some kind of advantage.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A comparison between Cutler's numbers under Martz and Trestman is not going to work due to heavy heavy influence of other factors with the team. Namely, the complete shit D under Trestman. Its hard to know how that abysmal D affected the O, but there is no doubt that it did.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
A comparison between Cutler's numbers under Martz and Trestman is not going to work due to heavy heavy influence of other factors with the team. Namely, the complete shit D under Trestman. Its hard to know how that abysmal D affected the O, but there is no doubt that it did.

Namely, Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett, Bushrod, and Long.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If I don't look at #s and just try and remember the play. The 2 Trestman years were very different but Jay played better in Martz's system overall. There were more picks to be blamed on WRs with Knox in his 1st screwing routes and Williams in year 2 being Williams. That's not to admonish jay as he's always going to throw some picks but it can be better managed and I thought some of Matz's concepts helped there. If they had run more and shortened some of the drops it could have been great. I hope to see something like that from Gase along with some moving pocket and more zone blocking that our runners should excell with.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
Forgot about Roy Williams, there for a bit...shit..thanks alot.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Posted this in another thread, feels even more relevant in this one:

For the people who are still looking for shreds of optimism regarding Jay Cutler's ability to not be the reason the Bears lose games, I'm surprised the 2011 season isn't brought up more often. The 6-game stretch of that season starting with the MNF loss to Detroit is, in my mind, the best Cutler has ever played in Chicago.

The numbers aren't bad, either: 111/183, 1,359 yards, 8 TDs, 3 INTs, 91.1 rating.

Very game manager-like numbers right there. Numbers you can win games with. And with the Bears defense still very much in its dominance under Lovie, it's no surprise that the Bears went 5-1 in that timeframe. Then Johnny Knox slipped on a slant route, Cutler broke his thumb making the tackle that cost him the rest of the regular season, and MARION FUCKING BARBER.

Go find that version of Jay Cutler and get him to line up for the Bears in 2015. I've been waiting for four years, though, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
91 rating over 6 games is the best Cutler has ever played? I suppose it could be worse...

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I don't look at #s and just try and remember the play. The 2 Trestman years were very different but Jay played better in Martz's system overall. There were more picks to be blamed on WRs with Knox in his 1st screwing routes and Williams in year 2 being Williams. That's not to admonish jay as he's always going to throw some picks but it can be better managed and I thought some of Matz's concepts helped there. If they had run more and shortened some of the drops it could have been great. I hope to see something like that from Gase along with some moving pocket and more zone blocking that our runners should excell with.

I think Trestman showed that Cutler has to be limited in how many decisions you ask him to make. I think you have to ask him to do less, make his reads simpler, and ffs so sight adjustments/reads. Its sucks, but it is what it is.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
I think Trestman showed that Cutler has to be limited in how many decisions you ask him to make. I think you have to ask him to do less, make his reads simpler, and ffs so sight adjustments/reads. Its sucks, but it is what it is.

And cutler has shown that his response to being limited at the line is telling his oc to go fuck himself.

I like how a bunch of people are pretending as if trying what was already tried with cutler in the pat is suddenly going to be the answer this time. And thats not directed towards you bot.

I also like how some people go back to his final year in Denver and act as if he had a spectacular season. for a young qb, sure, that season gave some reason to have hope going forward, but in the end that season was his ceiling, and despite that limited offense he still turned the ball over a shitload, while displaying poor mechanics and the same lack of awareness and anticipation on display today.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Yes. Every year we expect this..... and every year we get chicken soup that just doesnt have that "intangible flavor" making it High Quality.