Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes. Every year we expect this..... and every year we get chicken soup that just doesnt have that "intangible flavor" making it High Quality.

My hopes were for the O system, not for Jay to change his stripes. I think that was pretty clear. Coaches mean more in football than any other sport and if that coach knows what he's got and how to use it, it gets better. The hope was for Gase and not Jay who I think is more than serviceable. Who are you (mis)quoting? My points are very tangible though they may not be correct.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And cutler has shown that his response to being limited at the line is telling his oc to go fuck himself.

I like how a bunch of people are pretending as if trying what was already tried with cutler in the pat is suddenly going to be the answer this time. And thats not directed towards you bot.

I also like how some people go back to his final year in Denver and act as if he had a spectacular season. for a young qb, sure, that season gave some reason to have hope going forward, but in the end that season was his ceiling, and despite that limited offense he still turned the ball over a shitload, while displaying poor mechanics and the same lack of awareness and anticipation on display today.
More like limited to 7 step drops and not be able to call a run. I didn't like his demeanor but I understood the sentiment.

There's no suddenly or absolutes about an answer but things can be better managed. For instance, no one has moved Jay since he got here and that's where his initial success came from. I believe Gase is the type of OC that will do whatever he can to help his players. Until now, We've had OCs that had rote Os. I really don't know how successful this will be but at least I see a guy that has a lot more adaptability to scheme than we've had since Jay. None of this excuses Cutler and his really poor play last year ( regardless of the #s) but I expect it to be better. The question is how much. My guess, it wont be by that much better by the #s and a lot better by the eye test. Run more, roll some which only reads 1/2 the field, open the field with more deep throws and have an attacking D for better field position and some disruption. Can't be worse than last year when both sides of the ball were just sooo boring.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Martz got a bad rap for his time here. Yes he was stubborn and used way too many 7 step drops but look what crap he had for an oline and especially at LT. As I recall with Martz at OC in 2011 and a mediocre to poor oline our team was 11-4 before Jay got hurt and things went downhill from there. If Gase is as smart as Martz but has better people skills we have struck gold in an OC.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Cutler sucked with Martz. He was a game manager for a top flight defense and he didnt even do that good. Come football season we all will be reminded again and there will always be that one poster who will defend him.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Gase is more important than the guy playing QB. If he can figure out what works with whoever he has out there that alone will be a huge improvement over Trestman.

nitelife

Liked Posts:
I liked Martz vertical offense. They have a better O-line and receivers now, so it wouldn't bother me if the O was a bit Martz-ist. Tice had more influence in the O in Martz last year. Fox was always a run first ( 2nd & 3rd ) guy, but he adapted with Peyton. He was also there when they drafted Clausen ( who I also like ). I'm looking forward to seeing what changes occur on both sides of the ball.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
We'll see how it plays out, but I'm optimistic this team will be more motivated, disciplined and energetic with a legit coaching staff.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Martz got a bad rap for his time here. Yes he was stubborn and used way too many 7 step drops but look what crap he had for an oline and especially at LT. As I recall with Martz at OC in 2011 and a mediocre to poor oline our team was 11-4 before Jay got hurt and things went downhill from there. If Gase is as smart as Martz but has better people skills we have struck gold in an OC.
and you don't see the problem with having a shit line plus 7 step drops? That's a rap-able offense.

Cutler sucked with Martz. He was a game manager for a top flight defense and he didnt even do that good. Come football season we all will be reminded again and there will always be that one poster who will defend him.
Wait, so the guy that can't manage a game was a 7 step drop game manager?

Jay is what he is and that is a guy that needs help and will throw some picks but these threads really do go to some silly places.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Martz calls Gase one of the three best play callers in the game.

Gase uses a clicker to go through Denver’s season-opening win over the Colts. We watch every play two or three times, an old habit for the coach. On Mondays after games he might have watched the tape four times—by himself, with the coaches, with the quarterback, and, finally with the offense.

We’re on a hunt for the coaching identity of Adam Gase, the Broncos’ 36-year-old coordinator. He began as a scouting assistant in Detroit in 2003 under Steve Marriucci and worked his way up to quarterbacks coach by 2007, the last of Martz’s two years as offensive coordinator with the Lions. After two seasons in Denver, Gase is arguably No. 1 on the unofficial list of head coaching candidates for 2015.

Martz hones in on one particular run. With 9:28 left in the first quarter, Montee Ball runs off tackle for four yards. No big deal, right? Watch again. There’s motion on the bottom of the screen. Gase knows from his film study that it’s de facto policy for the Colts to drop the strongside safety into the box when the offense is in a bunch formation, and to retreat the weakside safety. So he motions a receiver into bunch, and Manning immediately calls for the snap.

Ball takes the handoff with both safeties out of their ideal positions; one is even retreating away from the play. If Ball had made it beyond the first level, he had nothing but open field.

“This is big,” Martz says. “Playing defense is about rules. If you understand their rules, you can put them in bad positions.”

The Broncos have had problems running the ball, ranking 27th in the NFL in yards per game. Some of that falls on Manning as a play-caller. But Martz also sees it as a symptom of inexperience. Gase only sprinkles in the occasional zone-blocking run. “If you want to run zone-running plays, you have to do it over and over again. You have to have reps,” Martz says. “Twenty years ago it was difficult to evaluate quarterbacks because they might have thrown 120 times a year. Now it’s 450. You used to be able to evaluate running backs. Now that’s switched.”

Where Gase thrives, though, is in the passing game.

Second quarter, 6:50 remaining. Martz recognizes an old standby: 288 special, so named by Coryell. Two receivers run identical posts on the left side of the field, hence ‘88’.

On their way to winning Super Bowl XXXIV, Martz ran this exact play on the Rams’ first snap of their divisional-round victory over the Vikings in January 2000. Isaac Bruce took the inside post route 78 yards for a touchdown. On the Fox broadcast, John Madden exclaimed, “He did it!” So confident was Dick Vermeil that he told the broadcast crew they would run 288 on the first play. In the aftermath, Madden drew it up as only he can.

The Rams got the play from Norv Turner, who at the time “used to run the heck out of it,” Martz says. But Gase runs his own tweaked version of 288, which demonstrates his ability to create mismatches. On this play against Indianapolis, Gase positions his best pass-catching tight end, Julius Thomas, in a three-point stance, and a blocking tight end as the wing. Thomas will cross the field and the face of the defense.

Consider these contingencies:

A) If the Colts are in man defense, Gase and Manning know the linebacker will cover the tight end on the inside while the better-qualified safety will check the wing, because most offenses position the more agile player as the wing. Julius Thomas would then be covered by linebacker D’Qwell Jackson. No-brainer.

B) If the Colts are in a Cover 2, Manning will try to look off one of the safeties and throw the open post.

C) If it’s Cover 3, Thomas might still be open underneath, and you can always check down to the running back.

The Colts were in man coverage, and Thomas beat Jackson (of course) for a 35-yard touchdown.
“As a coach,” Martz says, “you have to have an answer for the quarterback so he knows where he’s supposed to go with the ball against every coverage. If Thomas was the wing, the safety would cover him. But by sticking him inside, now that linebacker has him. The safety wants to cover, and it’s logical for the safety to cover him, but he’s told not to.

“That, by design, is outstanding. It’d be easy to put him on the wing, but Adam knows the defense’s rules. All the little details work out really well. Very few people do this.

“They’ve got good players, and he knows what to do with them. He puts guys in position to have success. It would be easy to do the same stuff over and over, but each week he’s going to create.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/02/nfl-m...ike-mccoy-mike-mccarthy-best-offensive-minds/

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do people even remember that the intermediate passing game was on fire with shit personnel under Martz? We were taking yardage in chunks.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Martz calls Gase one of the three best play callers in the game.

Gase uses a clicker to go through Denver’s season-opening win over the Colts. We watch every play two or three times, an old habit for the coach. On Mondays after games he might have watched the tape four times—by himself, with the coaches, with the quarterback, and, finally with the offense.

We’re on a hunt for the coaching identity of Adam Gase, the Broncos’ 36-year-old coordinator. He began as a scouting assistant in Detroit in 2003 under Steve Marriucci and worked his way up to quarterbacks coach by 2007, the last of Martz’s two years as offensive coordinator with the Lions. After two seasons in Denver, Gase is arguably No. 1 on the unofficial list of head coaching candidates for 2015.

Martz hones in on one particular run. With 9:28 left in the first quarter, Montee Ball runs off tackle for four yards. No big deal, right? Watch again. There’s motion on the bottom of the screen. Gase knows from his film study that it’s de facto policy for the Colts to drop the strongside safety into the box when the offense is in a bunch formation, and to retreat the weakside safety. So he motions a receiver into bunch, and Manning immediately calls for the snap.

Ball takes the handoff with both safeties out of their ideal positions; one is even retreating away from the play. If Ball had made it beyond the first level, he had nothing but open field.

“This is big,” Martz says. “Playing defense is about rules. If you understand their rules, you can put them in bad positions.”

The Broncos have had problems running the ball, ranking 27th in the NFL in yards per game. Some of that falls on Manning as a play-caller. But Martz also sees it as a symptom of inexperience. Gase only sprinkles in the occasional zone-blocking run. “If you want to run zone-running plays, you have to do it over and over again. You have to have reps,” Martz says. “Twenty years ago it was difficult to evaluate quarterbacks because they might have thrown 120 times a year. Now it’s 450. You used to be able to evaluate running backs. Now that’s switched.”

Where Gase thrives, though, is in the passing game.

Second quarter, 6:50 remaining. Martz recognizes an old standby: 288 special, so named by Coryell. Two receivers run identical posts on the left side of the field, hence ‘88’.

On their way to winning Super Bowl XXXIV, Martz ran this exact play on the Rams’ first snap of their divisional-round victory over the Vikings in January 2000. Isaac Bruce took the inside post route 78 yards for a touchdown. On the Fox broadcast, John Madden exclaimed, “He did it!” So confident was Dick Vermeil that he told the broadcast crew they would run 288 on the first play. In the aftermath, Madden drew it up as only he can.

The Rams got the play from Norv Turner, who at the time “used to run the heck out of it,” Martz says. But Gase runs his own tweaked version of 288, which demonstrates his ability to create mismatches. On this play against Indianapolis, Gase positions his best pass-catching tight end, Julius Thomas, in a three-point stance, and a blocking tight end as the wing. Thomas will cross the field and the face of the defense.

Consider these contingencies:

A) If the Colts are in man defense, Gase and Manning know the linebacker will cover the tight end on the inside while the better-qualified safety will check the wing, because most offenses position the more agile player as the wing. Julius Thomas would then be covered by linebacker D’Qwell Jackson. No-brainer.

B) If the Colts are in a Cover 2, Manning will try to look off one of the safeties and throw the open post.

C) If it’s Cover 3, Thomas might still be open underneath, and you can always check down to the running back.

The Colts were in man coverage, and Thomas beat Jackson (of course) for a 35-yard touchdown.
“As a coach,” Martz says, “you have to have an answer for the quarterback so he knows where he’s supposed to go with the ball against every coverage. If Thomas was the wing, the safety would cover him. But by sticking him inside, now that linebacker has him. The safety wants to cover, and it’s logical for the safety to cover him, but he’s told not to.

“That, by design, is outstanding. It’d be easy to put him on the wing, but Adam knows the defense’s rules. All the little details work out really well. Very few people do this.

“They’ve got good players, and he knows what to do with them. He puts guys in position to have success. It would be easy to do the same stuff over and over, but each week he’s going to create.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/02/nfl-m...ike-mccoy-mike-mccarthy-best-offensive-minds/

I for one am inclined to believe Gase and Cutler will make the Bears offense one we will finally be proud of next season.