Starting Safeties?

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
This seems to be a question mark every year now...who do you think will end up with the starting jobs?

Poppasmurf

Liked Posts:
Rolle and Mundy.

Fox is going to go with the veterans.

So you think Mundy will play FS? I'm not so sure. I would agree that Mundy and Rolle are our "best" safeties, but I'm not sure Mundy would be able to cut it as a FS in this scheme.

I have heard (but honestly do not know) that Fangio likes his safeties in the box, and puts them into position to lower the boom. Hopefully it's a system that allows the safeties to be more physical and less "center fielder" in which case I think mundy and Rolle would work out well.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think Rolle and Mundy start, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Vereen and/or Amos in there on passing downs for Mundy.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
Rolle and Mundy.

Fox is going to go with the veterans.

This seems the most probable but man it'd be great if Vereen or Amos are good enough to steal a starting spot.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Sorry, but i dont see Vereen starting. Perspnally, I only see him on the team this year to provide depth. He was too invisible and soft last year. I hope Amos turn out well and would be happy to supplant one of the veterans from their starting spot, but dont expect it from a 5th rounder.

We really need to try and sign another Safety. We are too weak and are one injury away from being abysmal.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Why would you want to be the starter when everyone just ends up clamouring to the backups?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The word is that Fangio's scheme is safety friendly. I think windy posted an article talking about it and how average type players get elevated to pro bowl levels in his scheme.

Which is about the opposite of the Lovie - 2 and the the cover-2 (tucker). In those, the safety is responsible for half (at least) the field and is on an island. In order to excel in a cover 2 or its variants, safeties HAVE to have the type of anticipation where they are taking the first step of their break when the QB releases the ball, if not earlier. They HAVE to be able to diagnose route combos and react as fast as the WRs.

Further, most of the time, the SS has equal coverage responsibilities as the FS so both need above average instincts/anticipation. Which is rare as fuck.

None of which is to say that the guys the bears have right now are necessarily any good. But each one of them has the chance to look very different in Fangio's system, it sounds like.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The word is that Fangio's scheme is safety friendly. I think windy posted an article talking about it and how average type players get elevated to pro bowl levels in his scheme.

Which is about the opposite of the Lovie - 2 and the the cover-2 (tucker). In those, the safety is responsible for half (at least) the field and is on an island. In order to excel in a cover 2 or its variants, safeties HAVE to have the type of anticipation where they are taking the first step of their break when the QB releases the ball, if not earlier. They HAVE to be able to diagnose route combos and react as fast as the WRs.

Further, most of the time, the SS has equal coverage responsibilities as the FS so both need above average instincts/anticipation. Which is rare as fuck.

None of which is to say that the guys the bears have right now are necessarily any good. But each one of them has the chance to look very different in Fangio's system, it sounds like.

Now if only we had average type safeties.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, imo the converse is that Lovie's scheme could make an average-ish player look like shit. So, just sayin. All we know is that the bears don't have any elite safeties. Beyond that, who knows.

Ali-Frazier

Liked Posts:
Rolle & Mundy. It'd be great if Amos pans out, but the guy is a 5th rounder.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Rolle & Mundy. It'd be great if Amos pans out, but the guy is a 5th rounder.

The scary thing about the Bears is that a 5th round safety could be the best safety on the team, and yet still only play like a 5th round safety.