PATs moved to 15 yard line

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Could a team attempt a 2 point fake from the 15 now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see why they couldn't, but it'd be outrageously foolish. Even if you have those situations where you have a snuck open WR on the edge the holder could throw the ball two. That 15 yard play is not nearly worth the risk as the quick throw out at the endzone line.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i love the change. was really hoping this would get passed. no brainer.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Just crazy that you can be kicking a 43 yard field goal with a holding call or 48 yarder with a personal foul.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
more change for the sake of change. fixing things that aren't broken.

to me, you might as well just make a touchdown worth 7 or 6 with a chance for 2. i don't really understand why this was necessary in the least.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
more change for the sake of change. fixing things that aren't broken.

to me, you might as well just make a touchdown worth 7 or 6 with a chance for 2. i don't really understand why this was necessary in the least.

I completely agree with this. It would shave a few minutes off the game as well.

ShiftyDevil

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Washington Huskies
I like it. Makes the kicking game more important, and makes it more likely coaches go for two.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Say you go for 2 and there is a false start. If you then change your mind and kick the extra point, would it be moved from the 15 to the 20 as if the false start happened on the kick all along?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Say you go for 2 and there is a false start. If you then change your mind and kick the extra point, would it be moved from the 15 to the 20 as if the false start happened on the kick all along?

Don't see why it wouldn't be. If not immediately it'd be clearly obvious it needs to be that way after 1 team wises up to just try and get a team to jump offsides when pretending to go for 2 with no consequences of a delay of game.

TreedBear

Liked Posts:
Dumb. The PAT was fine the way it was. The threat of the fake is gone. Defenses still won't try as hard unless it's a close game.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Also, does this eliminate the drop kick? It is legal for a QB to line up in shotgun and drop kick a FG. It technically could happen on 4th down. If they don't make the drop kick illegal, the kicker could line up as the QB as they "go for 2" and when he gets the ball, he could drop kick it for a normal length extra point.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Dumb as fuck

I just don't get this sentiment. PAT's are the dumbest play in any sport. Over 99% of them are made. No action in a sport worthy of a point should be so automatic IMO.

mecha

Liked Posts:
you know, we routinely compare today's game and how weak it is compared to the 80s and especially the 70s, but the rate of the bullshit rule changes, the game is virtually unrecognizable to what it was even 5 years ago.

does the league seriously have a quota for how many rules it needs to change annually or something?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I just don't get this sentiment. PAT's are the dumbest play in any sport. Over 99% of them are made. No action in a sport worthy of a point should be so automatic IMO.

With all the effort it takes to score a TD, why does the point after have to be more difficult? It's a stupid rule change, and it annoys me that it essentially eliminates the faked XP. The return for 2, however, should've been changed years ago.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
With all the effort it takes to score a TD, why does the point after have to be more difficult? It's a stupid rule change, and it annoys me that it essentially eliminates the faked XP. The return for 2, however, should've been changed years ago.

If that's your logic just make a TD 7 points and eliminate the PAT altogether. Having a "ceremonial" play (which is what it had become) is dumb.

Nick80

Emphasis on special teams play this move, making that unit actually worth something. Something alot of the top coaches used to preach back in the 70s and early 80s. Read about the greats like Madden, Landry, Noll they all preached the use of blocking that extra point/making that extra point.

Nothing in the NFL should be auotmatic.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like it. The extra point is a wasted play. This makes it not a wasted play 90% sure is far from 99% sure. I feel unless you just flat don't like change, if you were against moving the kick returns, you should be for this.

I wonder how far it needs to be out to make teams go for two almost every time.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't like this rule. You can kick a FG from the 3 now and have it be worth 3 points, while a PAT is from the 15 and only worth one point.

I like that they can be returned now though.

What they should do is give a half point for each yard a kicked ball is kicked from, and double the amount of points a TD gets to 12. Safeties should be 10 points, but the scoring team should not get the ball back.