Stacey King comments on Thibs

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
i don't know why you are surprised as Stacey and Neil are mouth pieces for the FO

whatever agenda the FO wants they'll push...thats what JVG means by undermining

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
“It’s been very difficult because the management is concerned about players," King said. "They pay a lot of money for these players. You've got guys coming off injury that they wanted to see brought back slower. They didn’t want to see Derrick Rose, who has missed three postseasons recovering from meniscus surgery, playing 45 minutes right out of the box. They didn't want to see that. They put him on a minute restriction."And that’s something that honestly, management really shouldn’t have to get involved. The coach should know that. The training staff should know that. You know that you can’t put Joakim Noah playing 40-plus minutes when the guy has just had some major knee surgery. Derrick Rose had major knee surgery. You should know those kind of things.

“The thing about Tom is, Tom is very stubborn. He’s a great coach. He’s great at what he does. He pushes the players. He’s no different than all the old-school coaches that were back in the 90s. He has high expectations for his players. He’s a no-nonsense, no-excuses guy. Sometimes guys don’t want to be coached by a guy like that. Those guys have short shelf lives in the NBA. At the end of the day, you've got to be able to conform, too. You’ve got to be able to say, ‘Let me change with the times a little bit. Let me make some adjustments.’ And I think that’s been one of the biggest issues with Tom Thibodeau is that he coaches the same way regardless of if it’s 82 games or if it’s the playoffs.

“He has had great regular-season success. But he has not had the same success in the playoffs. And when you look at his record and you compare the two, what are you coaching for? Are you coaching for regular-season titles? Because the last time I checked, you’re not winning titles in the regular season. You win titles in the postseason after 82 games. And he struggles. We can sit here and make excuses: ‘Well, he didn’t have this roster or didn't have this guy on the roster.’ You play with the hand you’re dealt.

“This year, there are no excuses. This was a disappointing season. Bulls management went out and tried to be a player in the Carmelo Anthony sweepstakes. They went all in for that. Give them credit. They had a Plan B. They had Pau Gasol, who turned out to have his best year, probably a career year under Tom Thibodeau and the Bulls this season. This was a team that should have went deeper and longer than what they did, period.”

His comments.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
they ran into the best player on earth is why they are out. I doubt that any other coach could have done any better...that said, I would understand if the bulls do look in a different direction

Rackshaq

Liked Posts:
B 2 THA S. Excuses,Excuses! Lebron has many hole in his game. Yes he IS the best player in the game. But he has flaws. He is NOT A CONSISTENT KNOCK DOWN SHOOTER. He is not the best dribbler on the planet. And if you play smart competent defense and pro offense we would have won. The bulls were not even what they were known to be from past years. No identity, no defensive philosophy. They try 2 blame it on having NEW players. Think about that. U traded boozer 4 pau. Pau played center, no matter what player line-ups say. NOAH was moved 2 power-foward(coaches choice). The rest of the STARTERS WERE THE SAME!! The coach gets paid the big bucks 2 put the TEAM in the best position 2 win. His decision to NOT cut Noah's minute's or hold him out 2 allow his knee injury 2 heal REGULAR SEASON. Not surprised that Pau finally pulled a ham-sting after playing the minutes he logged this year. (also a reason 2 bring Noah off the bench at center) We all knew Pau was an older player. I'm not as concerned with butlers minutes because at least he is a younger player. Even though Snell or McDermentt could have spelled him also. U HAVE 2 TRUST YOUR PLAYERS. No they don't get huge minutes. But Snell can't get a consistent 15 minutes when he can play at the shooting guard or small foward position. CHILD PLEASE!!

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
they ran into the best player on earth is why they are out. I doubt that any other coach could have done any better...that said, I would understand if the bulls do look in a different direction

With his broken down supporting cast, and his low shooting %, the fact that the bulls lost make it the hardest loss to LeBron yet. They finally had the team to beat LeBron, but folded like a lawn chair. What's worse is they gave up, Trestman style. No sane reason why, the series was still winnable

The Bulls pissed me off this year mainly because they didn't finish strong, instead they showed they didn't care. Now, they're gone laying on pillows made of 100$ bulls while most of this city will bust their ass at a job they hate.

I blame thibs, finally.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
With his broken down supporting cast, and his low shooting %, the fact that the bulls lost make it the hardest loss to LeBron yet. They finally had the team to beat LeBron, but folded like a lawn chair. What's worse is they gave up, Trestman style. No sane reason why, the series was still winnable

The Bulls pissed me off this year mainly because they didn't finish strong, instead they showed they didn't care. Now, they're gone laying on pillows made of 100$ bulls while most of this city will bust their ass at a job they hate.

I blame thibs, finally.

yes it was the hardest loss so to speak to LeBron, but that doesn't change the fact that they lost to the best player on the planet still. I have a hard time believing they stopped caring or didn't care at all as you claim though. and like I said, I totally understand the bulls looking to go in another direction from Thibs

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
i don't know why you are surprised as Stacey and Neil are mouth pieces for the FO

whatever agenda the FO wants they'll push...thats what JVG means by undermining

You can add Dan Douche Bitchstein to that list too.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Still, it was the best chance to get past Lebron that we've ever had. We laid an egg, plain and simple. It's not 100% on Thibs to me, but he's the easiest one for the FO to blame and the easiest to replace. And at some point you do wonder if Thibs is a good playoff coach or not. Like you said, at this point it's understandable that the FO is looking at other options.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Still, it was the best chance to get past Lebron that we've ever had. We laid an egg, plain and simple. It's not 100% on Thibs to me, but he's the easiest one for the FO to blame and the easiest to replace. And at some point you do wonder if Thibs is a good playoff coach or not. Like you said, at this point it's understandable that the FO is looking at other options.
We'll see at his next destination if he is or not. So far I'm convinced he's a great regular season coach, but a mediocre playoff coach due to the fact that he's stuck in a 1990's mentality of thinking.

If he is to coach Orlando or New Orleans next season.. Orlando especially, I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump to a 50 win team next season only to burn out in the 1st or 2nd round.. New Orleans is trickier since the West is so damn good.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
King is paid by Paxson and company. He is just their mouthpiece in this. Pass the mild sauce!

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Its wonderful to say that you play the hand that you are dealt. Put it is pretty hard to win when the other guys at the table can SEE YOUR FUCKING CARDS and that your cards do not have perimeter defenders among them.

Naptastic

Liked Posts:
Its wonderful to say that you play the hand that you are dealt. Put it is pretty hard to win when the other guys at the table can SEE YOUR FUCKING CARDS and that your cards do not have perimeter defenders among them.

Its even harder to win when the opposing team has two all stars injured and is playing an undrafted white guy as their pg.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Sorry, but Thibs has pretty much shown he's a glorified defensive assistant in this league.

He has not sure his ability to coach well in the playoffs. His in-game adjustments suck. He refuses to bring in offense, when the team needs offense. He sticks to his defensive guns and lives and dies by the motto of the old adage that "Defense wins Championships". Offense and defense wins championships with is proven time and time again. Thibs knows how to put his defensive players into a position to succeed, but lacks any ability to put offensive players in a position to succeed. P

Proof of the pudding is anytime this season you saw Noah, Gibson, Kirk Hinrich on the floor at the same time. His lineup to start the 4th quarter in Game 6 shows that. The playing time Kirk Hinrich got period shows that. While I can understand the red-shirting of McDermott, the fact is Doug is not likely to ever be a good defensive player, so when will Doug ever get playing time under Thibs? Generally if you dont' score points fairly quickly, Thibs pulls you if you're a bench player for a defensive oriented player.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry, but Thibs has pretty much shown he's a glorified defensive assistant in this league.

He has not sure his ability to coach well in the playoffs. His in-game adjustments suck. He refuses to bring in offense, when the team needs offense. He sticks to his defensive guns and lives and dies by the motto of the old adage that "Defense wins Championships". Offense and defense wins championships with is proven time and time again. Thibs knows how to put his defensive players into a position to succeed, but lacks any ability to put offensive players in a position to succeed. P

Proof of the pudding is anytime this season you saw Noah, Gibson, Kirk Hinrich on the floor at the same time. His lineup to start the 4th quarter in Game 6 shows that. The playing time Kirk Hinrich got period shows that. While I can understand the red-shirting of McDermott, the fact is Doug is not likely to ever be a good defensive player, so when will Doug ever get playing time under Thibs? Generally if you dont' score points fairly quickly, Thibs pulls you if you're a bench player for a defensive oriented player.

I do not disagree.

The sad thing is that most Bulls' fans were FAR more concerned with defense than offense before entering the playoffs. The truth is, their offense failed them. Scoring 41 points of the course of 3/4's of a game against a lousy defense is unacceptable. And Thibs' schemes offensively were not dynamic and did them few favors. Too much isolation play from Rose and Butler. Too little movement. Oh yeah, and Kirk Hinrich never should've been allowed on the court.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I do not disagree.

The sad thing is that most Bulls' fans were FAR more concerned with defense than offense before entering the playoffs. The truth is, their offense failed them. Scoring 41 points is 3/4's of a game against a lousy defense is unacceptable. And Thibs' schemes offensively were not dynamic and did them few favors. Too much isolation play from Rose and Butler. Too little movement. Oh yeah, and Kirk Hinrich never should've been allowed on the court.
And the offense has failed them every single year in the playoffs under Thibs. I thought it was incredibly annoying 2011 when Rose would get interviewed after losses to the Heat and his answer to fixing the Bulls was "playing better defense". The Bulls kept the 3rd ranked offense that season in Miami to 89.4 ppg in that series. I would say the defense was good enough. But Rose is just emulating Thibs there. The Bulls in reality needed to play better offense against Miami and simply score more points as the Bulls averaged 87.2 ppg..and throw out Game 1, they averaged only 83.3 ppg, one of which included an OT game.

The offensive droughts have been an on going thing for this team in the Thibs era in the playoffs every single season. In 2012-13 you can excuse the Bulls for not scoring points against Miami.. Even last season you could say they just didn't have the fire power on offense. But still, they played good defense all around but the fact they had zero offensive ability spoke alot. This season the Bulls acquired more offense in Gasol and Butler became an offensive player. The Bulls offense improved in numbers, the droughts remained though, but above all Thibs did not adapt to the new roster. The defense suffered as a result of him failing to adapt to new players this year.

Of course I do wonder what will happen when defense is not stressed as much under a new offensive oriented coach. It'll be interesting to see.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
Here is a fair criticism of Thibbs and I've had it since 2011.

When was the last time Thibs made a noticeable adjustment offensively? Where he pulled a rabbit out of his hat. How about drawing a play? Fact is he got outcoached by players Jason Kidd and Lebron It was Kidd and James who were adjusting. Thibb response to adjustments is we have to practice harder. Thibs is basketball Lovie. Wish we had Skiles as offensive coach.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here is a fair criticism of Thibbs and I've had it since 2011.

When was the last time Thibs made a noticeable adjustment offensively? Where he pulled a rabbit out of his hat. How about drawing a play? Fact is he got outcoached by players Jason Kidd and Lebron It was Kidd and James who were adjusting. Thibb response to adjustments is we have to practice harder. Thibs is basketball Lovie. Wish we had Skiles as offensive coach.
The only offensive trait I remember Skiles having was genius out of bounds plays. Other than that, he was also pretty defensive minded.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The only offensive trait I remember Skiles having was genius out of bounds plays. Other than that, he was also pretty defensive minded.
Bulls offensive rankings under Skiles
2003-04 - 29/29
2004-05 - 27/30
2005-06 - 23/30
2006-07 - 21/30
2007-08 - 26/30