Can we stop with the tough SOS myth?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
This year, we have the 13th hardest SOS going into the year.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/165472/2015-nfl-strength-of-schedule

Last year, we had the 15th hardest SOS going into the year.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...d-raiders-have-nfls-toughest-schedule-in-2014

What happens during the year to make the SOS what it really is, can not be determined yet because the league is unpredictable.

Stop using SOS as an excuse as to why we will be better but it won't show up in wins and losses.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm not sure it's a myth. I look at the teams we have to play against, and where we're playing them, and judge it on a game-by-game basis. I see 7-10 losses this year.

And by 7, I mean, best case scenario.

Last edited:

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Judging SOS before the season doesn't account for the single biggest contributing factor in wins/losses.. Momentum!

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I would say it is a indicator. Last year we had the 15th toughest and went 5-11. Our schedule looks a little tougher and we have the 13th ranked SOS.

Looking like a 4-12/5-11 season.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
It's not just our schedule. The Bears have a poor roster and didn't show much of anything in 2015. If the Bears were a stronger team our SOS wouldn't matter that much but the Bears were pretty bad last year so it's going to matter a lot and with the rough start to the year it will be hard to build that week to week momentum.

W1: GB = L
W2: ARI = L/W
W3: SEA = L
W4: OAK = W
W5: KC = L
W6: DET = L/W
BYE

Could easily be going into the bye 1-5 or 2-4. A 1-5 start the team knows they're out of the playoffs. I hope they'll play with more passion and actually finish games which is something they didn't do under Trestman when things started going wrong. Even if you're just playing for individual accomplishments/stats at that time or playing spoiler is something this team didn't even show last year.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If you want to say that we didn't improve from last year, you could atleast debate that. I would disagree based on coaching alone, but atleast you could make the claim because it is still unknown.

But it is a statistical fact that our schedule on paper is not much harder than last year.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
We were on the upswing going into 2014. Pretty much everything that could go wrong did and they won 5 games. This year is basically and unknown outside of the coaching hires and solid draft. I think expecting anymore than 6-7 wins is way too optimistic before training camp/preseason.

I just want to see a team that doesn't give up after falling down a couple scores which is something that happened far too often last year. No accountability, no energy, no changes.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
We were on the upswing going into 2014. Pretty much everything that could go wrong did and they won 5 games. This year is basically and unknown outside of the coaching hires and solid draft. I think expecting anymore than 6-7 wins is way too optimistic before training camp/preseason.

I just want to see a team that doesn't give up after falling down a couple scores which is something that happened far too often last year. No accountability, no energy, no changes.

I think people want to use the tough SOS myth as an excuse as to a reason we lose more games than we win this year. They also want to use the "multiple year rebuilding theory" as another reason.

I have watched enough NFL to know that if we are successful this year, it will be because of hard work, coaching and execution. If we don't make the playoffs, it will be a disappointment both to the team and the fans.

Evobear

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With different coaches, different schemes, and a vastly different roster I can't see SOS as any kind of predictor. Too many factors have changed by leaps and bounds for anyone to know which games the Bears will win or lose. Not to mention injuries.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
With different coaches, different schemes, and a vastly different roster I can't see SOS as any kind of predictor. Too many factors have changed by leaps and bounds for anyone to know which games the Bears will win or lose. Not to mention injuries.

I agree but we should also remember that with a new coaching staff comes learning new plays/schemes. All of which are basically just remembering names but that's also hoping that the players do a good job of engraining it in their heads.... quickly.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
The SOS on your list doesn't matter. The NFCW and AFCW beat up on each other and themselves last year, driving down their records. Even going 8-8 inside of one of those divisions last year while having to play the other was impressive.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Judging SOS before the season doesn't account for the single biggest contributing factor in wins/losses.. Momentum!

Nor does it take into account new things Fox introduces....such as pre-game hype music to get the boys ready to play.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
This year, we have the 13th hardest SOS going into the year.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/165472/2015-nfl-strength-of-schedule

Last year, we had the 15th hardest SOS going into the year.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...d-raiders-have-nfls-toughest-schedule-in-2014

What happens during the year to make the SOS what it really is, can not be determined yet because the league is unpredictable.

Stop using SOS as an excuse as to why we will be better but it won't show up in wins and losses.

You should change your username to Empress Platitude.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Ok, I am going to stick with the we have a bad roster argument as to why i think we'll be around 6 wins.

Feel better OP?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't see how its a myth that some teams are harder to beat than other teams.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I just think the start is rather brutal and that can determine a season for a team with so many changes. It doesn't have to.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
I recall one year under Wannstedt, the Bears had the 2nd easiest SOS going into the season. After the season was completed, it turned out to be the 2nd most difficult SOS.