Bears: Projected Starters

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I swear, we must have the most pessamistic, cynical, and whiney fans in all of the NFL. The season hasn't started yet, and yet people are already deeming this defense to be horrible. I, for one, will watch the games and cheer on my Bears while they go on a run for the postseason.

Bears fans have been burned many times in the past. Some fans (myself included) have to emotionally prepare themselves for the possibility (probabity?) of the Bears continuing to be sub-par.

Yes, we're hard on our team. But no one cheers harder either. Some would say we have a more realistic look at our team than most fans.

Also, the Bears defense *will* likely suck this year.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
10-6

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think all teams have fans with bad attitudes. As noted above, the Bears have given their fan base good reason to be pissed off. We could list the reasons but it boils down to not winning. So, I get people wanting to "emotionally prepare". I think that much of it is fine. But there is hope. Like him or not, Fox has taken teams to the Super Bowl and he is the first HC hire the Bears have made with previous HC experience. It appears for the first time the McCaskeys are going to let the GM make the decisions. And that GM looks to have had a good enough draft. The coordinators have produced results in other places. This coaching staff won't "lose" the locker room.

It is the people who can't recognize or refuse to recognize positive steps that need to be ignored. Without some special circumstances the Bears aren't going to go to the playoffs. But the defense will be better. The offense should be better. Unless it is a miracle season for him, Cutler won't be on the roster next year. So, I am realistically optimistic for the future just not next year.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Houston wasn't signed and never was considered even an above average pass rusher.

I don't even know where to begin.....Houston played better than Allen last yr, period. He was nasty and disruptive on many snaps and Allen was just a total miss as a FA.

That DOESN'T mean I was satisfied with either's play, but Allen was an unmitigated disaster as a starter last yr.

They were both pretty crap last year honestly. I agree Allen was worse but he had a major illness and lost a ton of weight. Over the course of his career he's been an elite pass rusher while Houston has never been anything remotely close to that level. The position they'll be competing for this season, the 3-4 OLB, is going to be mainly that of a pass rusher. I have absolutely no idea why anyone would think Houston is going to be anything useful in that role. Allen is coming off a terrible year and has never played in a 3-4 before, so he's an unknown at this point, but we do know that he's ten times the pass rusher Houston is. Or at least he was. If he's done then he's done I guess, but we don't know that yet.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I hate Jon Bostic and Jordan Mills. That is all.

1236.gif

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Bet you Cutler plays well enough this year that people gloss over the inevitable eggs he will lay and the boners come roaring back.

I just don't think that will happen. Last year Cutler had everything working for him. Had the big contract, weapons, OL playing average, a solid RB and a coach that is still a decent offensive mind that's committed to him succeeding. He was in the perfect spot to have individual success, but failed. I also think he's not the guy to be motivated by adversity, meaning when things get a bit tougher this year he'll buckle under the pressure.

For me the saving grace is that when Fox was actually controlling how the offense worked it didn't rely on the QB making a lot of plays. Pre Manning and the Broncos he was winning a good bunch of game with Jake Delhomme. I've never thought much of him, but any success he had was with a run heavy Fox built team that could lean on it's defense.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
That's more of a generalisation rather than an answer, so either try again or don't quote my posts with completely shit answers. Thanks.

I strongly suspect he came to the Bears because he felt they wanted him more than other teams and they probably offered the most money as their way of saying so.

Nick80

I strongly suspect he came to the Bears because he felt they wanted him more than other teams and they probably offered the most money as their way of saying so.

He is a pro poker player it seems, do you think he and his reps knew about his dodgy knee? It's almost like the ghost of Angelo past came back to haunt us ala Chris Williams and his crispbread back.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Please, after tOSU lost that game to MSU 2 yrs ago people were talking about how UM was overrated and the program was doomed to being mediocre in a mediocre league, etc. etc.

tOSU fans are 20 times as critical and prone to whining as anyone....and I count myself in that analysis. Listen to Bama fans whine about the offense right now and lack of qbacking.

Bears fans have a reason to be cynical and to not assume the best. Have you seen this franchise lately?

Yes, I've seen this franchise lately, under the direction of Marc Trestman and Mel Tucker. That is the last ACTUAL football we have seen. Mel Tucker would make the 85 Bears look horrible. If that isn't obvious, just by watching how all 11 guys on defense were consistently out of position to make plays. Even veterans like Briggs and Tillman were out of position regularly in Tucker's "scheme."

I've also seen San Fransisco's defense under Vic Fangio, I've seen Fox take two garbage franchises and make them competitive. You can argue Manning, but I will counter with Tebow. Adam Gase is also a clear upgrade over Kromer. Now, figure that we are 3 deep at wide receiver, have pass rushers across the board (and yes, I believe Jared Allen will transition well to the 34, we have versatile defensive players in McPhee and Houston, and a true nose tackle, who should have gone in the first round for all intents and purposes.

That's just year one. This team will compete.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Yes, I've seen this franchise lately, under the direction of Marc Trestman and Mel Tucker. That is the last ACTUAL football we have seen. Mel Tucker would make the 85 Bears look horrible. If that isn't obvious, just by watching how all 11 guys on defense were consistently out of position to make plays. Even veterans like Briggs and Tillman were out of position regularly in Tucker's "scheme."

I've also seen San Fransisco's defense under Vic Fangio, I've seen Fox take two garbage franchises and make them competitive. You can argue Manning, but I will counter with Tebow. Adam Gase is also a clear upgrade over Kromer. Now, figure that we are 3 deep at wide receiver, have pass rushers across the board (and yes, I believe Jared Allen will transition well to the 34, we have versatile defensive players in McPhee and Houston, and a true nose tackle, who should have gone in the first round for all intents and purposes.

That's just year one. This team will compete.

tumblr_m7cc33mzCB1qc1j5so1_250.jpg

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the defense will see the biggest boost.

Mel Tucker was a terrible coach, and at a minimum the scheme should help them out and they should be crisper and more disciplined.

Trestman was a terrible head coach, but I think his offense was crippled by Cutler and the throws he didn't make more than the ones he did. You can run an offense with Cutler, but you cannot run a precision timing offense with him, he simply cannot do it.

Trump32

Liked Posts:
I think the defense will see the biggest boost.

Mel Tucker was a terrible coach, and at a minimum the scheme should help them out and they should be crisper and more disciplined.

Trestman was a terrible head coach, but I think his offense was crippled by Cutler and the throws he didn't make more than the ones he did. You can run an offense with Cutler, but you cannot run a precision timing offense with him, he simply cannot do it.

With an all pass, no run play mix? What could go wrong?

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are a lot of changes to be happy about. I just hope this defense can get consistent pressure. I feel relatively confident that with good coaching, the talent is there to stop the run. No pass rush and a below average secondary though could mean another long year. Let's hope fangio is the cure all.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are a lot of changes to be happy about. I just hope this defense can get consistent pressure. I feel relatively confident that with good coaching, the talent is there to stop the run. No pass rush and a below average secondary though could mean another long year. Let's hope fangio is the cure all.
I think the defense is going to be a big pleasant surprise.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493377/article/projected-2015-starters-chicago-bears

» I'm as guilty as anyone for overlooking this front seven, but after seeing the broader view, Chicago has some sneaky depth along the line. Pernell McPhee and Jared Allen should shine in this new defense, and Jon Bostic, a former second-round pick, should get freed up to make some more plays depending on how rookie Eddie Goldman comes along.

» Let's get this out of the way: Jay Cutler is the Bears' starting quarterback. It makes the most sense. They tried to get out of it. They could not. They tried to move up for Marcus Mariota. They could not. If this team is going to win games this year, it's going to be on defense.

» By the time the Bears have their quarterback of the future, they should have a solid offensive line. If nothing else, drafting someone like Hroniss Grasu is a nod toward what is coming. While he might not win the battle in training camp, it's certainly in Adam Gase's best interest to get Grasu's feet wet at some point this year.

» How much better does Kevin White make this offense? That's the big question. While the Odell Beckham effect is a longshot, White is in a system that can place him in more than a few single-coverage situations assuming that Alshon Jeffery continues to progress. At the end of the day, we're still looking at a machine dependent on Cutler and a healthy and productive Matt Forte.

Starters
Offense Defense
QB Jay Cutler. DE Ray McDonald
RB Matt Forte DT Eddie Goldman
WR1 Alshon Jeffrey DE Jay Ratliff
WR2 Kevin White OLB Pernell McPhee
WR3 Eddie Royal ILB Jon Bostic
TE Martellus Bennett ILB Mason Foster
LT Jermon Bushrod OLB Jared Allen
LG Matt Slauson CB1 Tim Jennings
C Hroniss Grasu CB2 Kyle Fuller
RG Kyle Long SS Antrel Rolle
RT Jordan Mills. FS Brock Vereen

Jared Allen should what? Get off the DesBropipe man.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493377/article/projected-2015-starters-chicago-bears

» I'm as guilty as anyone for overlooking this front seven, but after seeing the broader view, Chicago has some sneaky depth along the line. Pernell McPhee and Jared Allen should shine in this new defense, and Jon Bostic, a former second-round pick, should get freed up to make some more plays depending on how rookie Eddie Goldman comes along.

» Let's get this out of the way: Jay Cutler is the Bears' starting quarterback. It makes the most sense. They tried to get out of it. They could not. They tried to move up for Marcus Mariota. They could not. If this team is going to win games this year, it's going to be on defense.

» By the time the Bears have their quarterback of the future, they should have a solid offensive line. If nothing else, drafting someone like Hroniss Grasu is a nod toward what is coming. While he might not win the battle in training camp, it's certainly in Adam Gase's best interest to get Grasu's feet wet at some point this year.

» How much better does Kevin White make this offense? That's the big question. While the Odell Beckham effect is a longshot, White is in a system that can place him in more than a few single-coverage situations assuming that Alshon Jeffery continues to progress. At the end of the day, we're still looking at a machine dependent on Cutler and a healthy and productive Matt Forte.

Starters
Offense Defense
QB Jay Cutler. DE Ray McDonald
RB Matt Forte DT Eddie Goldman
WR1 Alshon Jeffrey DE Jay Ratliff
WR2 Kevin White OLB Pernell McPhee
WR3 Eddie Royal ILB Jon Bostic
TE Martellus Bennett ILB Mason Foster
LT Jermon Bushrod OLB Jared Allen
LG Matt Slauson CB1 Tim Jennings
C Hroniss Grasu CB2 Kyle Fuller
RG Kyle Long SS Antrel Rolle