My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000493377/article/projected-2015-starters-chicago-bears

» I'm as guilty as anyone for overlooking this front seven, but after seeing the broader view, Chicago has some sneaky depth along the line. Pernell McPhee and Jared Allen should shine in this new defense, and Jon Bostic, a former second-round pick, should get freed up to make some more plays depending on how rookie Eddie Goldman comes along.

» Let's get this out of the way: Jay Cutler is the Bears' starting quarterback. It makes the most sense. They tried to get out of it. They could not. They tried to move up for Marcus Mariota. They could not. If this team is going to win games this year, it's going to be on defense.

» By the time the Bears have their quarterback of the future, they should have a solid offensive line. If nothing else, drafting someone like Hroniss Grasu is a nod toward what is coming. While he might not win the battle in training camp, it's certainly in Adam Gase's best interest to get Grasu's feet wet at some point this year.

» How much better does Kevin White make this offense? That's the big question. While the Odell Beckham effect is a longshot, White is in a system that can place him in more than a few single-coverage situations assuming that Alshon Jeffery continues to progress. At the end of the day, we're still looking at a machine dependent on Cutler and a healthy and productive Matt Forte.

Starters
Offense Defense
QB Jay Cutler. DE Ray McDonald
RB Matt Forte DT Eddie Goldman
WR1 Alshon Jeffrey DE Jay Ratliff
WR2 Kevin White OLB Pernell McPhee
WR3 Eddie Royal ILB Jon Bostic
TE Martellus Bennett ILB Mason Foster
LT Jermon Bushrod OLB Jared Allen
LG Matt Slauson CB1 Tim Jennings
C Hroniss Grasu CB2 Kyle Fuller
RG Kyle Long SS Antrel Rolle
RT Jordan Mills. FS Brock Vereen

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Allen is healthy and even close to being back to himself, that's not a bad looking front 7.

The secondary I have concerns about but the front 7 could be decent.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I hate Jon Bostic and Jordan Mills. That is all.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I actually agree with the assessment.

The Bears weakness on defense is the secondary and middle LB.

The Bears weakness on offence is Cutler.

Can better coaching and more realistic expectations of Cutler fix that?

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
" If this team is going to win games this year, it's going to be on defense."

Did I just read that? ^^^

If you think about what happened last year, an upgraded defense would pay dividends.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
If everyone stays healthy we actually have what looks like an NFL caliber starting 22.

Another free agency and draft and this team could have a bright future.

feelsgood.jpg

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Not sure Bostic and Vereen end up as starters. Would have thought Jones wins the ILB spot after Fangio's comments last week. Of all the positions we look weakest at OT and ILB and we better pray that Amos gets some game time and does well. Same goes for "CB1" Jennings.

It does look like a decent 22 though and all things being equal should be good enough for 8-8 or thereabouts. Don't see us getting eight wins though with the tough start we have.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Jean will end up the starting corner.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Man O' man that's a lot of old and bad on defense......

Jesus, trotting Jennings/Allen out there could be a real bad look for us.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Allen is healthy and even close to being back to himself, that's not a bad looking front 7.

The secondary I have concerns about but the front 7 could be decent.

Allen QUIT last season. The only thing different between he and Briggs were that Briggs stole all of his fat ribs before he could get his own hooks into them. He sucks. He is 1A to Cutler's 1 in the most worthless player for their money on the entire team.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
These are the ages of the projected starters on defense at the time of the season

McDonald - 31
Goldman - 21
Ratliff - 34

McPhee - 26
Bostic - 24
Foster - 26
Allen - 33

Jennings - 31
Fuller - 23
Rolle - 32
Vereen - 23

Average age - 27

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Allen QUIT last season. The only thing different between he and Briggs were that Briggs stole all of his fat ribs before he could get his own hooks into them. He sucks. He is 1A to Cutler's 1 in the most worthless player for their money on the entire team.

I don't think he quit as much as he just couldn't beat anyone off the edge/around the edge last yr.

That's basically his whole game, and at his age you wonder if it's pretty much over for him bc it looked that way last season. Maybe it was the illness and we'll see a rejuvenated and explosive player again, but I wouldn't bet on it.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually agree with the assessment.

The Bears weakness on defense is the secondary and middle LB.

The Bears weakness on offence is Cutler.

Can better coaching and more realistic expectations of Cutler fix that?

Bet you Cutler plays well enough this year that people gloss over the inevitable eggs he will lay and the boners come roaring back.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think he quit as much as he just couldn't beat anyone off the edge/around the edge last yr.

That's basically his whole game, and at his age you wonder if it's pretty much over for him bc it looked that way last season. Maybe it was the illness and we'll see a rejuvenated and explosive player again, but I wouldn't bet on it.

You should know not to reply to Hawk by now.

HAVOCONE

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
hey no love for sam acho? isnt he a better LB then bostic ?

greg23

Liked Posts:
Houston is a better olb than Allen and will be starting if healthy

Allen will play alot in nickel packages but not in the base defense

Have a hard time seeing vereen as a starting safety, he looked small and slow to react. ..his best position actually was nickel corner

Ilb still had a lot to sort out and theoretically Bostic should be freed up to make more plays but he looks like he has zero football insticts, give me jones and fOster in the base with Bostic jones in the nickel

To say that this team will win games with defense is laughable. We will be better but not to the point that the only way to win is that side of the ball playing well. It also assumes the offense will be bad, and while cutler is who he is the bears are just two years removed from the #2 scoring team in the nfl and no employ the oc of the #1 scoring offense in the nfl last 2 years.

I see a middle of the road, balanced team (16th ish on both sides of the ball) who has little room for error, needs one more year of drafts for real depth but if injury free and some breaks could have a winning season.

Nick80

Be lucky to finish .500

This team still has trainwreck written all over it and more than happy for that not to happen but would prefer to move on from the old players.

Slate clean or another 2-3 years of mediocrity.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I think that ILB spot alongside Foster could go to any number of guys. Probably the biggest question mark right now along with FS.