Forte- how long will he last?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Forte is getting a little older for a RB, but Fox tends to chew RBs up and spit them out... I am starting to feel as though 2015 will be Forte's final year as full time starter.
Our o-line is not a fantastic run-blocking line, and Fox enjoys (when he doesnt have manning at the helm) the 3 yards and cloud of dust game.

I was checking out his draft history, saw the crazy amount of picks he spent on RBs, and wanted to see how long RBs last in his system. Maybe he never got the right guys, but the churn at the position on his teams is pretty high.

Panthers- Year, rushing rank- leaders in attempts through the years,
02,25th -leader Lamar smith, second Dee Brown. (foster and Johnson were drafted 2nd and 5th)
03,7th,- leader, pro bowler Stephen davis, second was Deshaun foster.(moore was drafted and never played)
04, 28th- Leader was Nick Goings, second was Brad Hoover
05, 19th- Leader was Foster, second was davis. (shelton was drafted in the second round and played 9 games in his career)
06, 24th-Foster was the leader, Williams was second (Williams was drafted in the first round)
07, 14th-Foster was the leader, Williams was second
08, 3rd- Williams was the leader Stewrt was second (stewart was drafted in the first round)
09, 3rd-Stewart was the leader, williams was second (goodson and Fiametta were both drafted in the fourth round)
2010, 13th- Stewart was the leader, Goodson was second

Broncos-
2011, 1st- Pro bowler Magehee was the leader, Lance ball second (actually tebow was second in rushing attempts, but we are looking at RBs)
12, 16th,- Magehee was the leader, Moreno was second (hillman was drafted in the 3rd)
13, 15th-Mareno was first, Monte Ball was second, (Monte ball was drafted in the second round, not to be confused with Lance Ball)
14, 15th-Anderson was the leader, Hillman was second.

That is 8 fairly high drafted RBs, one udfa, and a big name FA addition in Magahee picked up in a pretty short order. Not really too concerned about the denver rankings (manning)... but that is a crap ton of devotion to corralling running backs and beating them up for such poor numbers.

No doubt Fox has a better playoff record than Smith and Trestman, But the bust out rate on the higher end picks at RB and the frequency of going after the positions is slightly concerning.

It wouldn't shock me to be see Forte gone and Carey taking the lead with a 3rd or up RB back pick in 2016.

Am I alarmed for nothing, or does anyone else see valid concern in Fox's turnstile opinion at the RB position?
Or, Are people in Chicago ready for the Shanahan style "plug in anyone for 1000 yards" type approach?

Personally, I tend to side on the "get a solid pass catcher to build a rapport as a saftey valve" approach, but I would like to hear others' opinions.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Forte is in better shape than any back you mentioned. Even Fox said Anderson was getting "chubby" and wearing out. Forte doesn't wear out. He's got 2 more seasons in him, especially when Fox pulls him a bit more than trest or lovie did.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
550_energizer-bunny.jpg

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
Forte is in better shape than any back you mentioned. Even Fox said Anderson was getting "chubby" and wearing out. Forte doesn't wear out. He's got 2 more seasons in him, especially when Fox pulls him a bit more than trest or lovie did.

what makes you think that?

because a writer says forte looks faster than last year each season he's been here?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

because a writer says forte looks faster than last year each season he's been here?

People like Bermick keep saying it without any concrete reasoning or proof of why they believe it. Other than knowing Forte is jacked, it's not really definitively stated to how they think that will make a difference.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

Really? He's only missed 5 games out of the 112 hes been here. Hasn't missed 1 start the past 2 seasons.

People like Bermick keep saying it without any concrete reasoning or proof of why they believe it. Other than knowing Forte is jacked, it's not really definitively stated to how they think that will make a difference.

Being "Jacked" has nothing to do with it. Jonathan Stewart might be the strongest back in the NFL, but can't stay healthy to save his life.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Forte is a beast! Three years!

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You guys realize that Forte is the best player on this team right? And that he is probably in the best physical shape of any runningback in the league. Yeah, let's get rid of that because you saw some bad blocking on Youtube. :smh:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I said I think he stands a good chance of having above average longevity because he does take care of his body very well and is still really good.

Also (and this is when the haters have their own argument used against them), the fact that he's a soft back who avoids contact also means he's likely to last longer.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys realize that Forte is the best player on this team right? And that he is probably in the best physical shape of any runningback in the league. Yeah, let's get rid of that because you saw some bad blocking on Youtube. :smh:

Yeah lets keep him instead, while we rebuild into a respectable franchise. Lets grind out 2 more years of useless futility, only to watch his trade value dissipate to nothing. Makes perfect sense.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
yeah lets keep him instead, while we rebuild into a respectable franchise. Lets grind out 2 more years of useless futility, only to watch his trade value dissipate to nothing. Makes perfect sense.

wtf is his trade value right now??? Tell me! If you think it outweighs his value to the team i agree completely if you can put up a decent argument which you can't because you chose to insult and mock rather than come with facts!!!!

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
Forte could very well play for another 4-5 years but after this season i dont see the bears bringing him back for the money he is going to want and for the fact its not a good business decision. I would much rather move forward with our 2 new running backs langford and carey who both had good college careers.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Yeah lets keep him instead, while we rebuild into a respectable franchise. Lets grind out 2 more years of useless futility, only to watch his trade value dissipate to nothing. Makes perfect sense.

Trade value?! :smoke:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Forte is getting a little older for a RB, but Fox tends to chew RBs up and spit them out...

This is one of those myths that get out there and become self perpetuating. In Fox's 13 yrs he has had 9 different rushing leaders. In the 13 years between Neal Anderson and Matt Forte, the Bears had 9 different rushing leaders including 3 failed 1st rounders.

Fox's top 5 leaders in rushing attempts:

Forte's top 5 years in attempts:

Having a stalwart RB for 5-10 years is a rarity, the norm is more like what Fox has dealt with. And usage is pretty average.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Forte could very well play for another 4-5 years but after this season i dont see the bears bringing him back for the money he is going to want

How do you know what he wants? He knows his age, he knows the NFL and his agent knows more about contract than all of us. What makes you think Forte is going to be demanding another prime contract? He knows his point in his career that he's in but you assume he's going to demand to be paid like a 25 year old again.

I would much rather move forward with our 2 new running backs langford and carey who both had good college careers.

Marion Barber, Chester Taylor, and Michael Bush, all former starters, weren't good enough to take Forte off the field for more than a handful of plays per game. What makes you think these two kids can waltz in and replicate what he's given us?

Last edited: