Forte- how long will he last?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah lets keep him instead, while we rebuild into a respectable franchise. Lets grind out 2 more years of useless futility, only to watch his trade value dissipate to nothing. Makes perfect sense.

trade value?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
think forte has 1-3 more years at his current production level and then will start to taper off. i don't see us keeping him more than 1-3 more years, and it all comes down to the almighty dollar bills, y'all. i like forte a lot, and hope he sticks around a few more years.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

wtf is his trade value right now??? Tell me! If you think it outweighs his value to the team i agree completely if you can put up a decent argument which you can't because you chose to insult and mock rather than come with facts!!!!

And exactly what facts have you come with? The whole thread is based on speculation. Forte, how long will he last? If he has no apparent trade value to another team, what makes him so valuable to us? If the overall consensus of this board is he is good for at least 2 more years, either this board is out of thier ever loving mind, or he has some value. Winning franchises part ways with there stars while they still hold some value. .500 clubs hold theirs until they are broken and useless. You hold on to him to mid-season, hope a team in contention loses a starting RB to injury, and trade him for a 2nd-4th round pick.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
And exactly what facts have you come with? The whole thread is based on speculation. Forte, how long will he last? If he has no apparent trade value to another team, what makes him so valuable to us? If the overall consensus of this board is he is good for at least 2 more years, either this board is out of thier ever loving mind, or he has some value. Winning franchises part ways with there stars while they still hold some value. .500 clubs hold theirs until they are broken and useless. You hold on to him to mid-season, hope a team in contention loses a starting RB to injury, and trade him for a 2nd-4th round pick.
You must be confusing the Bears with an MLB team, the NFL doesn't operate like that.

Once again, the NFL trade deadline passed with a whimper, not a bang.

The New England Patriots grabbed linebacker Jonathan Casillas from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a swap of lower draft choices Tuesday, the Patriots' second linebacker acquisition in a week. The Bucs then moved safety Mark Barron, a first-round pick in 2012, for a No. 4 and a No. 6. The biggest move came less than two weeks ago when the Seattle Seahawks dumped wide receiver Percy Harvin to the New York Jets for a sixth-rounder.

Here is the amazing summation: No team that traded a player acquired any pick better than a fourth-rounder.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
How do you know what he wants? He knows his age, he knows the NFL and his agent knows more about contract than all of us. What makes you think Forte is going to be demanding another prime contract? He knows his point in his career that he's in but you assume he's going to demand to be paid like a 25 year old again.

Marion Barber, Chester Taylor, and Michael Bush, all former starters, weren't good enough to take Forte off the field for more than a handful of plays per game. What makes you think these two kids can waltz in and replicate what he's given us?

Cutler said he was going to take a home town discount and so did marshall. Neither of them did. These guys want to get paid and i dont blame them. Forte is gonna want a 3-4 yr deal with half gaurunteed. I bet he wants 30+ million .. No thx. As for your list of vets that is were the bears screwed up. They paid good money for guys who were washed up. Fresh legs on rookie deals is what makes sense. They wont combine to do forte did in the air but i bet they can equal his ground game.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Cutler said he was going to take a home town discount and so did marshall. Neither of them did. These guys want to get paid and i dont blame them. Forte is gonna want a 3-4 yr deal with half gaurunteed. I bet he wants 30+ million ..

I highly doubt that.

Mitchapalooza

Cutler said he was going to take a home town discount and so did marshall. Neither of them did. These guys want to get paid and i dont blame them. Forte is gonna want a 3-4 yr deal with half gaurunteed. I bet he wants 30+ million .. No thx. As for your list of vets that is were the bears screwed up. They paid good money for guys who were washed up. Fresh legs on rookie deals is what makes sense. They wont combine to do forte did in the air but i bet they can equal his ground game.

Marshall for 10m/year for 4 years was a steal for his talent. That was a discount. Dwayne Bowe got 11m a year and he's garbage. Maclin just got $11m/yr and he's had one 1,000 yard season.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Holy shit, there are still people who think Marshall was a steal?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why not? It's his last pay day. I expect Forte to go for bank.

Because he knows his situation. His last contract was paid because he was coming off his rookie deal and entering into his prime, and it was market value for a premier player at his position at his age at the time. Right now he's 29, coming to the end of his prime, and has over 11,000 yards on his clock. He isn't going to get paid like he did 4 years ago, not by the Bears, not by anyone. I have no idea why you think we understand this but he and his agent don't. They know the deal. If they work something out at a fair price, they do. If they don't, they don't.

To be honest if I was Forte I would be trying to get a deal done to go to Dallas and get a ring, because he isn't getting one here.

JPPT1974

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Seattle Mariners
  1. Los Angeles FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Tennessee Titans
  1. St. Louis Blues
  1. Kentucky Wildcats
Unfortuanately he won't be getting a ring in Chicago. But that may change with John Fox who knows?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How do you know what he wants? He knows his age, he knows the NFL and his agent knows more about contract than all of us. What makes you think Forte is going to be demanding another prime contract? He knows his point in his career that he's in but you assume he's going to demand to be paid like a 25 year old again.

Marion Barber, Chester Taylor, and Michael Bush, all former starters, weren't good enough to take Forte off the field for more than a handful of plays per game. What makes you think these two kids can waltz in and replicate what he's given us?

I agree. And for all of the talk about Forte going down with a shoestring. Carey didn't show much in terms of power last season.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You must be confusing the Bears with an MLB team, the NFL doesn't operate like that.

Once again, the NFL trade deadline passed with a whimper, not a bang.

The New England Patriots grabbed linebacker Jonathan Casillas from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a swap of lower draft choices Tuesday, the Patriots' second linebacker acquisition in a week. The Bucs then moved safety Mark Barron, a first-round pick in 2012, for a No. 4 and a No. 6. The biggest move came less than two weeks ago when the Seattle Seahawks dumped wide receiver Percy Harvin to the New York Jets for a sixth-rounder.

Here is the amazing summation: No team that traded a player acquired any pick better than a fourth-rounder.

A couple of mid-level talents and a mal content does not an argument make. A forth and a sixth fits in with what I was suggesting anyways. Hell, if Dallas gave a 1st rounder For Roy Williams, what is Forte worth? The biggest problem is, if Forte isn't under contract for next year, he holds value only for a team in contention desperate for a RB to make a play off push. Luckily this opportunity presents itself often at that position.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Forte will likely be a productive player for ~2 more years, but only a chump GM would resign him. Has nothing to do with his pas production or the great shape he's in, it's just basic statistical analysis. RBs at that age and with that much mileage are a bad bet - regardless of the name and team. >30 year-old RBs are an even bigger risk than a MLB relief pitcher or NHL goalie.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'd offer him a two year extension. Forte can take 200+ touches a year for at least another few years., and could still be productive for us even longer depending on the role he is willing to accept.

I'd say if you dont want to give him another contract, that trading him for whatever low round pick you might get for him would be a classless move. He is one of the few offensive stars that this organization has seen in the past twenty years, and I think he deserves the next year to prove that he still has plenty left to give this team.

Having a running back in your stable that can play every down means that you have a guy that can be out for drives without being subbed.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
I think Forte will have a great season - he may rest a little more but that should improve his YPC performance when he's on the field. As a fan Forte is my favourite player currently on the team. He's a classy guy and I enjoy watching him as a player, I respect him for the professional way he's handled himself during his time with us. He has repaid the money he has made by working hard, taking care of himself and being the most productive back in terms of yardage in the league since he was drafted. Let's face it, all the time guys get paid and just don't bother anymore - especially in that RB position when you take a lot of punishment. So I hope he plays great, takes a hometown discount and stays a couple more years. But I think in reality if he does have a really good season, we will need to be a playoff team too for it to work. Otherwise someone closer to a title is going to offer him big money, and it'll be hard for him to say no.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree. And for all of the talk about Forte going down with a shoestring. Carey didn't show much in terms of power last season.

Pace agrees, that's why he drafted Langford. And while Langford is not considered a bruiser by any means, he's Jeremy Bettis in comparison to Carey.