Ricketts buy 3 more rooftops

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
And now, according to multiple reports, the Ricketts Family has done so again, acquiring three rooftop buildings and businesses on Sheffield Avenue – bringing their holdings on that side to all but three: Murphy’s Bleachers and the two rooftops still suing the Cubs.

In total, out of 16 rooftop properties, the Ricketts Family now owns six, and has an ownership stake in a seventh. The rooftop business have continued to operate as rooftop businesses.

That's one way to solve your legal issue. Put pressure on the other side and buy them out.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Well, what's he going to do? Move the signs that block the view?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Well, what's he going to do? Move the signs that block the view?

I'm not sure if they bought the buildings or just the rooftops but if it's the buildings there's lots you can do. Even with the rooftops you could potentially change some of the signs such that they are on those rooftops rather than the park itself. Obviously the giant new scoreboard isn't going to be move any time soon but you could potentially open up more viewing space if they feel it's prudent.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure if they bought the buildings or just the rooftops but if it's the buildings there's lots you can do. Even with the rooftops you could potentially change some of the signs such that they are on those rooftops rather than the park itself. Obviously the giant new scoreboard isn't going to be move any time soon but you could potentially open up more viewing space if they feel it's prudent.

He could just knock them down and modernize the area. Or sense he is becoming the majority owner of the zone he could just do what he wants with out opposition.

I would knock down the buildings and rebuild hotels and upscale business/apartment living. The area needs a face lift.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why just one hotel? They are going to charge an arm and a leg and will be booked most of the year round. Wrigley and the surrounding area is going to make that a hot spot hotel. Now, he has the option to do more. They are going to be the new Steinbrenner's with his franchise before its done. Thats not even including the massive money they are going to get in 2019 when they do the TV negotiations. If the cubs are good, they probably get the highest deal in history.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It'd be interesting if they could tear down some of the buildings and build a large hotel over several of the properties that had a large area for viewing games from the middle area with rooms on the top and bottom of it. That would be a really interesting version of luxury suites.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Well, I am not thinking ahead very well. As my dad and I were discussing the Cubs, and mentioning rooftops, I pointed out that for all these years, that building across Waveland has had signage, and that must be more lucrative than rooftop seating. Yet as Rickets buys rooftops, i wasn't thinking that he could be adding signage there. That would make a lot of sense. Major revenue stream.

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Underground parking would be nice. There's a lot they can do with the properties if they actually own them, but they still have to deal with the city for development. I'm not sure I'd welcome modern high rises across the street, but maybe they can add stories to some of the existing buildings and make changes on the street level. Signage is probable. I doubt they would invest in another new hotel before evaluating revenue on the first. Wrigleyville isn't the magnificent mile or the loop - quite a few dead months.

They have a plan, that much is clear.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Rickett's is quietly building a major Chicago attraction for years. All the idiots that gave the Cubs shit for their rebuild will look extremely foolish in the end. Wrigleyville will end up being a major attraction for Chicago in the end, and Sox Park will be a pimple on the ass of Chicago ..... as usual, just much moreso.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
OTL on espn did a great job of talking about the Wrigley renovation and what it means. So glad that the Cubs/Ricketts didn't do the Sox thing and knock down Wrigley (Yea, I know that it would have been preserved as a historic structure) or move. When I am in Chicago during ball season I always catch a game. Oh the memories!

Liked Posts:
OTL on espn did a great job of talking about the Wrigley renovation and what it means. So glad that the Cubs/Ricketts didn't do the Sox thing and knock down Wrigley (Yea, I know that it would have been preserved as a historic structure) or move. When I am in Chicago during ball season I always catch a game. Oh the memories!

I also saw the OTL discussion on Ricketts/Wrigley Field...Well done and painted Ricketts in a good way....Said he did just about everything he could do in good faith to keep peace with the rooftoppers and now has almost total control of the buildings except for one... A positive presentation about the renovation that is taking place at Wrigley.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If they would have built a new stadium the right way, they wouldn't have had a rainout yesterday. ;)

Jailbreak

Block someone
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Rickett's is quietly building a major Chicago attraction for years. All the idiots that gave the Cubs shit for their rebuild will look extremely foolish in the end. Wrigleyville will end up being a major attraction for Chicago in the end, and Sox Park will be a pimple on the ass of Chicago ..... as usual, just much moreso.

I'll always call it Comiskey Park, lol. Been to more games there than Wrigley because I grew up in the southern suburbs. The White Sox will never be the Cubs, but I don't exactly hate them. I'd feel more animosity if they were in our league.

I don't think they should have torn it down. The Sox have challenges where they're situated as well as always attempting to compete with my favorite team for fanbase. There's a lot you can do in Wrigleyville that would fall flat on it's face around 35th.

The OTL piece was nice - I'll probably catch a game next season. That scoreboard is a monstrosity, but we'll get used to it.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
I'll always call it Comiskey Park, lol. Been to more games there than Wrigley because I grew up in the southern suburbs. The White Sox will never be the Cubs, but I don't exactly hate them. I'd feel more animosity if they were in our league.

I don't think they should have torn it down. The Sox have challenges where they're situated as well as always attempting to compete with my favorite team for fanbase. There's a lot you can do in Wrigleyville that would fall flat on it's face around 35th.

The OTL piece was nice - I'll probably catch a game next season. That scoreboard is a monstrosity, but we'll get used to it.

Agreed, I don't hate the Sox as well just cuz I'm a Cubs fan. It's the idiot Sox fans I take exception with having heard their bullshit for the past 3.5 years about the Cubs. What's the Sox record? :dunno

willycat

Liked Posts:
Cubs vs.sox fans.

Agreed, I don't hate the Sox as well just cuz I'm a Cubs fan. It's the idiot Sox fans I take exception with having heard their bullshit for the past 3.5 years about the Cubs. What's the Sox record? :dunno

Actually think the Cubs have better W-L record the last 3 seasons, while they were trying to lose and the sox trying to win.

willycat

Liked Posts:
It'd be interesting if they could tear down some of the buildings and build a large hotel over several of the properties that had a large area for viewing games from the middle area with rooms on the top and bottom of it. That would be a really interesting version of luxury suites.

I'm sure the Ricketts clan has a plan. Maybe another hotel or a entertainment area not unlike Baltimore and Phoenix have done. Doubt if he has rooftops on his agenda.