Was Marc Trestman that bad

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Defense was crap with him and Tucker but his system without Jay Cutler did pretty good once they put a different QB in Josh McCown he had almost record breaking numbers. Why couldn't Trestman do that with Cutler who is light-years beyond McCown?

1COBearsfan

Equinsu ocha
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was a terrible head coach but I think he will make a good (at least) OC

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I view the situation with a little bit different perspective. I think Trestman's last year he had lost the team early in the season. I also think that Tucker wasn't the right guy for the job. He lacked vision and creativity. I don't think it is a Cutler vs. McCown situation because McCown is not nearly as good of a QB. The defense was so bad last year that the offense was constantly playing catch up. Cutler has a propensity to force the ball. The fact that the Bears were forced into passing situations just illuminated Cutler's weaknesses. Chicken and the egg-which came first the bad defense or Cutler's play putting too much pressure on the defense? I'm not sure either would have made a lot of difference in the win-loss column.

Now, add to that the poor drafting, injuries and a general sense of malaise and you have one shitty season. And, I think at the end Cutler didn't trust Trestman and Trestman didn't trust Cutler. It was a all around shit-show. We can sit around for the rest of the off-season and dissect last year. Bad front office decisions, bad coaching, bad QBing, bad defense, bad QB play, poor play calling, we can go on and on and on and on.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Because nerd.

tumblr_mcgu5oERct1qmom57o1_500.gif

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I view the situation with a little bit different perspective. I think Trestman's last year he had lost the team early in the season. I also think that Tucker wasn't the right guy for the job. He lacked vision and creativity. I don't think it is a Cutler vs. McCown situation because McCown is not nearly as good of a QB. The defense was so bad last year that the offense was constantly playing catch up. Cutler has a propensity to force the ball. The fact that the Bears were forced into passing situations just illuminated Cutler's weaknesses. Chicken and the egg-which came first the bad defense or Cutler's play putting too much pressure on the defense? I'm not sure either would have made a lot of difference in the win-loss column.

Now, add to that the poor drafting, injuries and a general sense of malaise and you have one shitty season. And, I think at the end Cutler didn't trust Trestman and Trestman didn't trust Cutler. It was a all around shit-show. We can sit around for the rest of the off-season and dissect last year. Bad front office decisions, bad coaching, bad QBing, bad defense, bad QB play, poor play calling, we can go on and on and on and on.

I was going to blame Cutler too, but then it would be guaranteed that the "Trestman ALWAYS fails in his second year" narrative creep in here...

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Defense was crap with him and Tucker but his system without Jay Cutler did pretty good once they put a different QB in Josh McCown he had almost record breaking numbers. Why couldn't Trestman do that with Cutler who is light-years beyond McCown?

Because when it came to brain function, McNown was light years beyond Cutler.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Wow, talk about sugar-coating! That's like calling a glacier an ice cream cone! :)

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
McCown's performance was based on a very small sample size. When he came in, other teams have practically no tape on the guy. Alshon Jeffrey also had a large number of miraculous TD catches for McCown.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
McCown's performance was based on a very small sample size. When he came in, other teams have practically no tape on the guy. Alshon Jeffrey also had a large number of miraculous TD catches for McCown.

:kick: Are you serious?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
:kick: Are you serious?

no shit. wtf, other teams didn't know how mobile mckown was? They didn't know that Trestman was going to use a whole different playbook with Mckown? WAT.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was terrible.
1)He hired, then didn't fire Mel Tucker. I have heard rumors that Tucker was an Emery move, but either way, tying your future to that clown is inexcusably bad.
2)See #1 and replace Mel Tucker with Joe DeCamillis.
3)He lost the team on and off the field. That team quit. It's very difficult to get a team back.
4)He never gained the team's respect. This is probably why he lost the team. Coming after Lovie was not easy. He still failed.
4)His offense would not run the ball. This made defending it very easy.
5)When his offense didn't work, he couldn't adapt. It's like he stripped out more plays instead of trying new concepts.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Tdog was not that bad. He got Tucker forced on him. We needed a take no shit coach in the room with Tdog. I believe if Fangio was on staff with Tdog things might have been very different. Emory screwed everything up including the staff,drafting,player contracts. I feel bad for tdog because no coach would have been successful in that quagmire.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Tdog was not that bad. He got Tucker forced on him. We needed a take no shit coach in the room with Tdog. I believe if Fangio was on staff with Tdog things might have been very different. Emory screwed everything up including the staff,drafting,player contracts. I feel bad for tdog because no coach would have been successful in that quagmire.

lol'd at "tdog"

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
5)When his offense didn't work, he couldn't adapt. It's like he stripped out more plays instead of trying new concepts.

It's almost as if he didn't trust the guy who lead the league in turnovers.