2015-2016 Blackhawks Off season thread

Ton

Liked Posts:
Then I say let him walk for that kind of money and the compensation we get back. We can't pay our 4th line center more than 2 million.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

I agree, just shows how difficult of a summer Stan has ahead of him. This is worse than 2010.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I agree, just shows how difficult of a summer Stan has ahead of him. This is worse than 2010.

I disagree on it being worse. In 2010 we didn't have the prospect depth we have now which will account for our cheaper salaries.

Pokka, Johns, Teuvo (using his salary as example), TVR (same as Teuvo) Danault, McNeill, Hartman, Panarin, Mashinter, Paliotta, Baun all have a chance out of training camp. Obviously some are closer than others but these are guys who on say Florida or Toronto would be playing potentially already.

Ton

Liked Posts:
I disagree on it being worse. In 2010 we didn't have the prospect depth we have now which will account for our cheaper salaries.

Pokka, Johns, Teuvo (using his salary as example), TVR (same as Teuvo) Danault, McNeill, Hartman, Panarin, Mashinter, Paliotta, Baun all have a chance out of training camp. Obviously some are closer than others but these are guys who on say Florida or Toronto would be playing potentially already.

True... can't deny that the pipeline is stocked with talent. Hopefully they can get acclimated quickly to the NHL and provide some depth. There will be a lot of new and young faces on the team next year. It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
News Flash:

The parade will be in my pants! :elephant:

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
See bolded

For all things Blackhawks this off season.

Hawks forwards cap hits:
Jonathan Toews- 10.5 million Franchise player
Patrick Kane - 10.5 million Franchise player
Patrick Sharp - 5.9 million Gone
Marian Hossa - 5.275 million Recapture Risk--stays
Kris Versteeg - 2.2 million I'm good if he stays or goes
Bryan Bickell - 4 million Gone
Andrew Shaw - 2 million would like him to stay but can see him moving
Teuvo Teravainen- $894,166 Stays
Antoine Vermette - UFA Gone
Andrew Desjarins - UFA Want him to stay--1-1.5M. Get it done.
Daniel Carcillo - UFA Gone
Joakim Nordstrom - RFA Could stay as a depth utility FWD, but wouldn't swetr him being gone
Brandon Saad- RFA Definily resign--hoping for 5.5 or less.
Marcus Kruger - RFA If he can be signed for cheap keep.
Richards If he can be signed for cheap, keep

Forwards total salary for 2015-2016: $43,469,166

Defensemen cap hits:
Brent Seabrook: 5.8 million Keep, but keep a close eye because he's coming due next year
Duncan Keith: $5,538,461 Franchise player+ recapture risk
Niklas Hjalmarsson: 4.1 million Keep
Johnny Oduya: UFA If he take a decent hometown discount that doesn't risk any player, keep.
Michal Rozsival: UFA Gone
David Runblad: RFA Gone, but might stay as a 6-7 to suppliment the rookies--as long as it's dirt cheap
Kyle Cumiskey: Gone, but might stay as a 6-7 to suppliment the rookies--as long as it's dirt cheap
Defensemen total salary for 2015-2016: $15,438,461

Goalie salaries:
Corey Crawford: 6 million By all rights he should stay, but an outside chance of him being moved
Antti Raanta: $750,000 Probably should be traded
Scott Darling: $587,500 Keep and give a good look next year

Goalie total salary: $7,337,500

Total players under contract: 11 skaters, 3 goalies
Team overall salary cap hit: $64,045,120
Team overall cap space for 2015-2016: $4,954,873

Updated 6/16/2015

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Lord, no way Saad gets 5 million. That's essentially going to be a 3rd of what we have free if we trade Sharp and Bickell out. Stan's gonna try and get him to sign a bridge deal and hope the cap goes up and space is freed when Seabs contract is up.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lord, no way Saad gets 5 million. That's essentially going to be a 3rd of what we have free if we trade Sharp and Bickell out. Stan's gonna try and get him to sign a bridge deal and hope the cap goes up and space is freed when Seabs contract is up.

I agree. Saad isn't getting 5.5m.
Probably a 4 year deal for 16m (15?), which paves the way to the door for Bickell.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

Not likely, they have the space still from letting go those deals. That's exactly the point of needing to trade around 10 MIL out is because it allows the Smarter much better deal of giving Saad a longterm deal and not a dumb Bridge deal because then they wouldn't be able to resign him in 2/3 years. Saad will get a long term deal over 5 Mil. The letting walk deals of guys like Rozi/Oduya along with the trades help cover the cap as much as a Bicks trade

The smart move is pay Saad now a longer 5/6 year deal

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
I'd be very surprised (and very happy depending on length of contract) if Saad is signed under $5mil per. There are certainly teams out there that will offer Saad $5mil +, only question is will he listen and will he sign with another team and force the hand of the Blackhawks? Hopefully the Blackhawks can get him all signed up before he starts to find out what he is worth to other teams.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Not likely, they have the space still from letting go those deals. That's exactly the point of needing to trade around 10 MIL out is because it allows the Smarter much better deal of giving Saad a longterm deal and not a dumb Bridge deal because then they wouldn't be able to resign him in 2/3 years. Saad will get a long term deal over 5 Mil. The letting walk deals of guys like Rozi/Oduya along with the trades help cover the cap as much as a Bicks trade

The smart move is pay Saad now a longer 5/6 year deal
Hawks have roughly 4.5 million in cap space as of right now and with the guys who are UFA and RFA not having contracts. If Bickell and Sharp are traded that would give us $14-15 million in cap space.

Paying Saad 5 million with Bickell and Sharp gone would leave the Hawks with 8 more skaters to sign and 9.5 million left to do it. You have to sign him to that bridge deal because you need every penny you can get right now. Maybe it's a year deal till they have Seabs contract space freed up.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I'd be very surprised (and very happy depending on length of contract) if Saad is signed under $5mil per. There are certainly teams out there that will offer Saad $5mil +, only question is will he listen and will he sign with another team and force the hand of the Blackhawks? Hopefully the Blackhawks can get him all signed up before he starts to find out what he is worth to other teams.

If another team wants to offer him a sheet at 5mil + then go ahead, but they'll need to be willing to part ways with a 1st rounder and 3rd rounder and if it's over 5.5, a 2nd rounder comes into play.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
If another team wants to offer him a sheet at 5mil + then go ahead, but they'll need to be willing to part ways with a 1st rounder and 3rd rounder and if it's over 5.5, a 2nd rounder comes into play.

Willing to take that risk? I am sure there are teams out there who are ready to give that up for Saad. It will be interesting to see how long and how much Saad gets, could go a few different directions.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Willing to take that risk? I am sure there are teams out there who are ready to give that up for Saad. It will be interesting to see how long and how much Saad gets, could go a few different directions.

I agree. Exactly 29 teams would be lining up to take Saad off their hands for a 1st and 3rd round pick. Saad is worth $5.5M IMO and the picks.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Hawks have roughly 4.5 million in cap space as of right now and with the guys who are UFA and RFA not having contracts. If Bickell and Sharp are traded that would give us $14-15 million in cap space.

Paying Saad 5 million with Bickell and Sharp gone would leave the Hawks with 8 more skaters to sign and 9.5 million left to do it. You have to sign him to that bridge deal because you need every penny you can get right now. Maybe it's a year deal till they have Seabs contract space freed up.

No... they're not in the EVERY PENNY you can get right now mode. That's the irrational low people have been at over the winter thinking about it. It's not as significantly bad as 2010 because you actually have extra cap moving options if you need them and a good bunch of 8-925K contracts that are prospects to fill those other 9ish spots. Along with guys that should be signed below a mil like potentially Desjardins or another vet on D.

To keep the team strong they have to make the wiser move and sign Saad Long term. You desperately need the extra cap, there are steeger/shaw as movable options. Or maybe you don't resign Kruger but your take on him being a 4th liner. Any case of him being just a "4th liner who pks" and many guys do that is simply wrong. Guys like Kruger out there make 3Mil-3.5 Mil as defensive shutdown centers. Even Boyd Gordon, Brandon Sutter, to Jared Stoll types. That's their value, if you can sign Kruger below 2.5 another 2 years it's a steal deal. They don't have a replacement for Saad or Kruger to let them walk, Danault can only be trusted to be a an energy center right now until they know how well he can play D in the NHL.

The only issue is if you have to take back some salary guys in a trade, but likely anyone they get in a Bickell trade, if it's an unwanted throw in, can be moved on his own like a Marty Reasoner situation.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:

To go all in and pay him 5.5 this upcoming season will fuck our 3rd and 4th line as well as our nothin pairing D. Not to mention if you bring up one of these rookies with an ELC, need to be very careful if they hit their bonuses.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:

Probably the Sharks a la post 2010.
Now that Cap Geek is gone, what are some of the higher end RFA contracts being handed out?

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
No... they're not in the EVERY PENNY you can get right now mode. That's the irrational low people have been at over the winter thinking about it. It's not as significantly bad as 2010 because you actually have extra cap moving options if you need them and a good bunch of 8-925K contracts that are prospects to fill those other 9ish spots. Along with guys that should be signed below a mil like potentially Desjardins or another vet on D.

To keep the team strong they have to make the wiser move and sign Saad Long term. You desperately need the extra cap, there are steeger/shaw as movable options. Or maybe you don't resign Kruger but your take on him being a 4th liner. Any case of him being just a "4th liner who pks" and many guys do that is simply wrong. Guys like Kruger out there make 3Mil-3.5 Mil as defensive shutdown centers. Even Boyd Gordon, Brandon Sutter, to Jared Stoll types. That's their value, if you can sign Kruger below 2.5 another 2 years it's a steal deal. They don't have a replacement for Saad or Kruger to let them walk, Danault can only be trusted to be a an energy center right now until they know how well he can play D in the NHL.

The only issue is if you have to take back some salary guys in a trade, but likely anyone they get in a Bickell trade, if it's an unwanted throw in, can be moved on his own like a Marty Reasoner situation.

I think you are dreaming too much on how easy this is going to be. Maybe you didn't read the part where I said with moving Sharp and Bickell and our already cap space with none of our RFAs and UFAs not signed, we only have 15 million to sign 10 guys. If you sign Saad to a 5 million dollar contract, you now have less then 10 million to sign 9 guys.

Moving guys like Shaw and Versteeg doesn't make sense considering their at reasonable contracts and only 2 million. If you move them both now you have 14 million to sign 11 guys. Great so much better!! Don't bank on the Hawks signing 9 guys below a million a year each because even then, you're still on the wire with the ELC bonuses and barely scrapping bye.

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
The point to my question would be if Saad gets a 5.5m RFA deal, would that put him in the upper level of RFAs out there?
BTW, thanks for the link, Trev.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

That's why I worded it the way i did. Overall I think 5.5M is the absolute max--anything above that and IMHO it hurts the team. I would be hoping for 4M on a bridger but the longer the playoffs have gone, the more I think it may not happen. Anything more than, say, 4.5 has got to be long-term and not a bridger.

Then, as said, offersheeting comes into play which compounds the matter.