2015-2016 Blackhawks Off season thread

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's going to be interesting. I'm not making any predictions other than Stan has something up his sleeve and pulls a rabbit out of his hat. Trades are going to happen. When is the draft? When are offer sheets due? I hope the fax isn't broke.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
It's going to be interesting. I'm not making any predictions other than Stan has something up his sleeve and pulls a rabbit out of his hat. Trades are going to happen. When is the draft? When are offer sheets due? I hope the fax isn't broke.

The Hawks need to make their offers to the RFAs before free agency. As long as they do that he remains an RFA until signed. If they don't make an offer (which is what happened with the fax machine fiasco) the player becomes an UFA.

Draft is next weekend I believe.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Also, say the Hawks lose Sharp, Bickell, Rozsival, Oduya, Desjardins, Richards and trade away Shaw, that's ALOT of turnover and could really affect the locker room.

To me, it's about keeping the most amount of players you can (and want to keep) as possible.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, say the Hawks lose Sharp, Bickell, Rozsival, Oduya, Desjardins, Richards and trade away Shaw, that's ALOT of turnover and could really affect the locker room.

I'd agree with all of the players you named except Shaw, I don't think they'll need to move him. Vermette will prolly be unable to be re-signed

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I'd agree with all of the players you named except Shaw, I don't think they'll need to move him.

If done correctly they shouldn't have to. 14-15 million for 9 guys shouldn't be too difficult. It's when you give Saad a 3rd of that cap space that you're gonna get fucked.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I think you are dreaming too much on how easy this is going to be. Maybe you didn't read the part where I said with moving Sharp and Bickell and our already cap space with none of our RFAs and UFAs not signed, we only have 15 million to sign 10 guys. If you sign Saad to a 5 million dollar contract, you now have less then 10 million to sign 9 guys.

Moving guys like Shaw and Versteeg doesn't make sense considering their at reasonable contracts and only 2 million. If you move them both now you have 14 million to sign 11 guys. Great so much better!! Don't bank on the Hawks signing 9 guys below a million a year each because even then, you're still on the wire with the ELC bonuses and barely scrapping bye.

Do you think the Cap is only 69 Mil and that's the set at what it's going to be? If that's the case that's a bit more reason to think you are doomed but that's still the fearful conservative estimate. That's what people have been latching onto which is flawed to assume it will be

Your situation of keeping Saad means you think next year is nicer, but you fuck the team in 2 years and they have to do something excessive or get rid of Saad in a trade Because he could be demanding 7 MIL as a player coming off his bridge deal and be like Leddy. If you role with that you hurt the chance at long term stability and keeping the team competitive. I think Stan is wise enough in the situation to know they have a lot of assets and flexibility to make the team stronger for long term but still can shave enough space to prevent it from making the team out of it next season. Because it's literally in there.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Do you think the Cap is only 69 Mil and that's the set at what it's going to be? If that's the case that's a bit more reason to think you are doomed but that's still the fearful conservative estimate. That's what people have been latching onto which is flawed to assume it will be

Your situation of keeping Saad means you think next year is nicer, but you fuck the team in 2 years and they have to do something excessive or get rid of Saad in a trade Because he could be demanding 7 MIL as a player coming off his bridge deal and be like Leddy. If you role with that you hurt the chance at long term stability and keeping the team competitive.

I'm going off the generalfanager.com number which looks like it's at 69 million. So if Bettman who has been saying it's going to be around $71 million is right. Now we suddenly have an extra 2 million and 16-17 million for 9 guys. If Saad gets 5 of that, you now have 11-12 million for 8 guys.

I have a feeling someone else is going to be traded with Bickell and Sharp.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So this is the first year in it seems like fore ever that Hawks had 4 true centers. Next year no Richards , no Vermette, here we go again. With how short the D is and acquiring centermen, Stan is looking at some real challenges this off season.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I'm going off the generalfanager.com number which looks like it's at 69 million. So if Bettman who has been saying it's going to be around $71 million is right. Now we suddenly have an extra 2 million and 16-17 million for 9 guys. If Saad gets 5 of that, you now have 11-12 million for 8 guys.

I have a feeling someone else is going to be traded with Bickell and Sharp.

Which is why I think it's Steeger and a guy like Rundblad shouldn't be resigned in apart of his standing compared to other RH Dmen anyway. Raanta is a likely good value to add and get something in return from a trade because I think even if he played in the AHL his deal counts against the cap. Steeger is a good value if he plays like he was the last few games of the Final or in December/November. But the rest of the season dealing with injuries Steeger isn't even worth that 2.2.

Hopefully Leighton liked his good year in Rockford and he wants to stay with the team so he can be the 1A and for that club along with a youngster like Carauth and fill the role of the emergency 3rd which is basically what we saw him as when signed before Darling shot up surprisingly

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Mike Reilly is officially a UFA today. Can't officially sign before July 1, but he can announce where he is playing, once he decides. Could be another nice College UFA for the Blackhawks.

Blackhawks and Wild are said to be the front runners.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
With our d being what it is, Stan might be able to sell him on immediate playing time.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Mike Reilly is officially a UFA today. Can't officially sign before July 1, but he can announce where he is playing, once he decides. Could be another nice College UFA for the Blackhawks.

Blackhawks and Wild are said to be the front runners.

BOOM!

Lets land this kid. Between him, Johns, Pailotta and TVR... dynamite.

italianbeef

Liked Posts:
Willing to take that risk? I am sure there are teams out there who are ready to give that up for Saad. It will be interesting to see how long and how much Saad gets, could go a few different directions.

They also realize he won't be on a line with Toews and Hossa, either. Saader knows that, too.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Blackhawks rally will be at Soldier Field. That will be the only thing exciting that happens there this year.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Blackhawks rally will be at Soldier Field. That will be the only thing exciting that happens there this year.
Well, there is an Eagles/Wallabies Rugby test match on September 5th. It may not be *as* exciting but it and the rally are both more exciting than Gridiron Football...even if the Eagles get demolished like they did against the All-blacks.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I know, he'd be such a lag playing next to Crosby or Malkin
Depends on whether or not he'd want to play with someone who won a cup this decade. I'm sure Hossa prefers playing next to Toews as opposed to Crosby or Malkin ;)

Okay...that was low, I know.

Seriously, I don't know what Saad would want to do. He's young and has 2 cups. Maybe he wants to strike out as a cornerstone player for another team even if he's not surrounded by guys like Toews, Kane or Hossa. Maybe he goes for as much cash as possible even if it's some hockey black-hole of an organization like Edmonton. Maybe he wants to stick around here 'cause he loves the 'hawks and the players.

I'm hoping he could be had and it doesn't handcuff us.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I don't really fear any RFA offersheet... because the Hawks aren't in some situation where they are likely trying to short term 1-2 year major stop gap deal sign him. Even if they talk more desiring of a bridge deal it's still more talks that will be had.

The situation with Hammer was a different one because they were just trying to keep him on a little this is all you can get 1 year to hold us over on the cap and we'll deal with a what will happen in contract talks next year, so they were desiring to get him under 2 Mil at some 1.75Mil deal but got caught trying to do it.

I think there might be more potential for Kruger in that case, but Saad's deal seems to be priority #1, even before you trade guys you can work out the deal and sign him due to the favorable offseason how high you can sign over the currently listed cap space based on how much UFA space is coming off the roster or something weird like that.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still don't understand why it's an "unwritten rule" amongst the GMs not to offer sheet players.

Anyone got more infos on that?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I still don't understand why it's an "unwritten rule" amongst the GMs not to offer sheet players.

Anyone got more infos on that?

it's just gamesing the club for your advantage and breeds contempt against you. That potentially makes you less likely to get good trade relations with the club in recent times so there a tinge of fear in it due to that. It is a little odd, you'd think though that some teams in their division where they're unlikely to get many trade scenarios would go after it more. There still is a precedent or worry more guys around the league would be like you less from it.

It didn't stop Stan from after a long time though, trading with Doug Wilson in the Smith/Desj; hell stan was the one who had an added conditional 2017 pick in it. But back in 2010 Wilson knew with the very strict no wiggle room space the Hawks were at, that the offersheet would force them to make tough choices. People often point out it was picking Hammer over Neimi... it was also over Neimi & Ladd. They were trying to slip by not needing to trade him, his trade wasn't until later after the Hammer offersheet which hurt them. Just doing that though gave a little bit of a sour rap on Wilson for being willing to take that strike trying to harm the other club.

It's just the unwritten rule for actually being schemey like that. It's not like it still doesn't happen and sometimes it's an accepted kinda deal as I believe the Kessel acquisition by Toronto was that way. But I think they also were adverse to calling it a Offersheet deal despite that being 100% what it was. They even needed their 2nd rounder back which is how the Hawks got the pick for Saad.