2015-2016 Blackhawks Off season thread

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
For all things Blackhawks this off season.

Hawks forwards cap hits:
Jonathan Toews- 10.5 million
Patrick Kane - 10.5 million
Patrick Sharp - 5.9 million
Marian Hossa - 5.275 million
Bryan Bickell - 4 million
Artem Anisimov- 3,283,333
Kris Versteeg - 2.2 million
Andrew Shaw - 2 million
Marko Dano-925,000
Teuvo Teravainen- $894,166
Jeremy Morin-800,000
Corey Tropp -625,000
Antoine Vermette - UFA
Andrew Desjarins - UFA
Daniel Carcillo - UFA
Joakim Nordstrom - RFA
Marcus Kruger - RFA

Signed or traded elsewhere:
Brandon Saad- Traded to CBJ

Forwards total salary for 2015-2016: $46,008,333

Defensemen cap hits:
Brent Seabrook: 5.8 million
Duncan Keith: $5,538,461
Niklas Hjalmarsson: 4.1 million
David Runblad: 1,050,000
Johnny Oduya: UFA
Michal Rozsival: UFA

Defensemen total salary for 2015-2016: $16,488,461

Goalie salaries:
Corey Crawford: 6 million
Scott Darling: $587,500

Goalie total salary: $6,587,500

Total players under contract: 16 skaters, 2 goalies
2015-2016 salary cap: 71.4 million
Team overall salary cap hit: $69,084,294
Team overall cap space for 2015-2016: $2,315,706

Updated 6/27/2015

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Only if you explain what a 3-2 forecheck is in the "teach me about hockey" thread.

d8a9c9a7489bb281d3483b5d7bcaf0e8.jpg

Can't even...

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Should be a very interesting off season. Have to imagine that we see a move or two by/at the draft at the end of next week.

Interested to see what happens with UFA's like Oduya, Vermette and Richards. I'm a fan of getting something for nothing if it is known that those guys are going to walk. Atleast get some sort of draft pick for them if that is the case. I was told that a big factor in trading Leddy was that Oduya claimed he would consider a home town discount at the time...suppose it is time to find out how big of one and if he will or not. Will Richards consider coming back on another very friendly cap hit? He was certainly worth every bit of his cap hit this year, gave great depth up the middle, and the Blackhawks are going to need a vet or two like him to take much less than they could on some bubble team.

I know everyone is all hopped up on the prospects that the Blackhawks have...but Q has shown that the team wins with veterans and a nice mix of rookie/ELC guys. Veterans know how to win...guys like Desjardins and Rozsival. There are more flashy prospects out there but veterans know how to play the game and how to win. Everyone likes the shiny new prospect...and it will be interesting to see which ones are able to step up next year.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
d8a9c9a7489bb281d3483b5d7bcaf0e8.jpg

Can't even...

I was really looking forward to it, thought you were just too drunk last night because you seem like a guy who's really knowledgeable about hockey. :shrug:

But not to derail this thread -

Who are the bubble guys? I've heard Sharp and Bickell are as good as gone, know that Toews and Kane are taking up 30% of the cap and we reallly want to keep Saad. Anyone else to be concerned about? Any good agitators/enforcers out there we should be looking at?

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope Versteeg and Bickell are gone.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I was really looking forward to it, thought you were just too drunk last night because you seem like a guy who's really knowledgeable about hockey. :shrug:

But not to derail this thread -

Who are the bubble guys? I've heard Sharp and Bickell are as good as gone, know that Toews and Kane are taking up 30% of the cap and we reallly want to keep Saad. Anyone else to be concerned about? Any good agitators/enforcers out there we should be looking at?

Meh, the discussion ended when the Hawks won, so if it ever gets brought back up I'm sure I'll discuss.

My guess is Sharp and Bickell will be gone. Outside chance Seabs as well, but that's only if the offer is something Stan can't pass up.

I'd love to see Richards come back on a 2 mill salary for a year, but that depends on his mentality now, do I want a chance to keep on winning or one last larger pay day.

Sharp and Bickell traded would free up 10 million, and we only currently have 5 available. So you'd be looking at 15 million for 12 guys. Nordstrom will need to get resigned though probably for 1 million max, Saad will get around 3-4 million with a bridge contract, Kruger will get about 2 million. So that's about 7-8 million tied up in another 3 forwards which would have the Hawks at 9 on contract.

Leaves just 7-8 million in cap space and need to resign another 3 defensemen and depth. Wouldn't be surprised to see Oduya come back on a 2 million contract. Johns and Pokka will get every chance to make the team (around 1 million each). With TVR being on the 3rd pair you'd really just need one of them.

I have faith in Bowman, especially since he's been able to keep the Hawks afloat amongst the leagues best for 7 years now.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
I hope Versteeg and Bickell are gone.

A lot of people want Versteeg gone. However, his cap hit is only $2.2million and Versteeg has shown that he can play in the top 6. We all know his ups and downs and he has plenty of them this year. A cap hit of $2.2million for a player that can play the third line, can play top 6, but can sometimes wear a suit during the game...it is a tough call. I'd like to see him stay because that is the type of risk and contract the Blackhawks are going to need to take next year on certain players.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Meh, the discussion ended when the Hawks won, so if it ever gets brought back up I'm sure I'll discuss.

My guess is Sharp and Bickell will be gone. Outside chance Seabs as well, but that's only if the offer is something Stan can't pass up.

I'd love to see Richards come back on a 2 mill salary for a year, but that depends on his mentality now, do I want a chance to keep on winning or one last larger pay day.

Sharp and Bickell traded would free up 10 million, and we only currently have 5 available. So you'd be looking at 15 million for 12 guys. Nordstrom will need to get resigned though probably for 1 million max, Saad will get around 3-4 million with a bridge contract, Kruger will get about 2 million. So that's about 7-8 million tied up in another 3 forwards which would have the Hawks at 9 on contract.

Leaves just 7-8 million in cap space and need to resign another 3 defensemen and depth. Wouldn't be surprised to see Oduya come back on a 2 million contract. Johns and Pokka will get every chance to make the team (around 1 million each). With TVR being on the 3rd pair you'd really just need one of them.

I have faith in Bowman, especially since he's been able to keep the Hawks afloat amongst the leagues best for 7 years now.

Don't forget, the Rangers are still paying Richards, so it's possible that if he wants to keep playing for a contender, he may take another $2M deal to stay here.

I'd love to keep Vermette too, but it's going to be tough to sign all 3 centers (Kruger, Richards, Vermette) with so little cap space. We may even lose all 3.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Current Blackhawks who will be UFAs:
F- Desjardins
F- Richards
F- Vermette
F- Carcillo
D- Oduya
D-Rozsival
D- Timonen

Current Blackhawks who will be RFAs:
F-Saad
F-Kruger
F-Nordstrom
D-Runblad

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Don't forget, the Rangers are still paying Richards, so it's possible that if he wants to keep playing for a contender, he may take another $2M deal to stay here.

I'd love to keep Vermette too, but it's going to be tough to sign all 3 centers (Kruger, Richards, Vermette) with so little cap space. We may even lose all 3.

I doubt Kruger will be gone. Salaries compared to his role on the team suggest 1-2 million tops.

Richards is getting paid by the Rangers still due to the buyout, but does he want to maximize his potential earnings now or keep going for the cup. He might be more in demand than 2 million which I think is the most the Hawks can offer him.

Vermette I wouldn't want for more than 2 million tops as well as he's not in his prime anymore.

Ton

Liked Posts:
I doubt Kruger will be gone. Salaries compared to his role on the team suggest 1-2 million tops.

Richards is getting paid by the Rangers still due to the buyout, but does he want to maximize his potential earnings now or keep going for the cup. He might be more in demand than 2 million which I think is the most the Hawks can offer him.

Vermette I wouldn't want for more than 2 million tops as well as he's not in his prime anymore.

Kruger is going to get more than $2M... someone will offer sheet him.

This isn't 2005 anymore. Vermette is at least a $4M player and worth every penny, but someone will probably pay him $5M. Richards could go for another big payday, someone would probably give him at least $3.5-4.5M if not more... but like I said, with the Rangers still paying him maybe he sticks around for the potential of winning another Cup.

I would be shocked if Oduya stayed for $2M... he could easily get $5M on the open market.

If Saad takes a contract for under $4M... I'd be very surprised.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I've updated my first post with our current lineup for 2015-2016 and the salaries as well as who is a UFA. I update as best I can.

Paranin isn't listed since he's not officially on the main team yet.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Kruger is going to get more than $2M... someone will offer sheet him.

This isn't 2005 anymore. Vermette is at least a $4M player and worth every penny, but someone will probably pay him $5M. Richards could go for another big payday, someone would probably give him at least $3.5-4.5M if not more... but like I said, with the Rangers still paying him maybe he sticks around for the potential of winning another Cup.

I would be shocked if Oduya stayed for $2M... he could easily get $5M on the open market.

If Saad takes a contract for under $4M... I'd be very surprised.

Is an NHL team willing to offer him 2 million and lose a 2nd round pick? If they go higher than $3,652,659 they lose a 1st and 3rd. At that point let them take him. I like Kruger but he's a 4th line center who kills penalties, which isn't a rare commodity in today's NHL.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Which of these prospects could potentially step into the lineup next year? I know nothing about them, but I've heard this Paranin guy mentioned a bunch.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Is an NHL team willing to offer him 2 million and lose a 2nd round pick? If they go higher than $3,652,659 they lose a 1st and 3rd. At that point let them take him. I like Kruger but he's a 4th line center who kills penalties, which isn't a rare commodity in today's NHL.

Well, I'm sure a team would be willing to pay him $3M and lose a 2nd round pick, or up to $3.5M for a 2nd round pick. He may be the 4th line C on the Hawks, but he plays 15 minutes a game, kills penalties, and could be a good 3rd line C on any team.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Well, I'm sure a team would be willing to pay him $3M and lose a 2nd round pick, or up to $3.5M for a 2nd round pick. He may be the 4th line C on the Hawks, but he plays 15 minutes a game, kills penalties, and could be a good 3rd line C on any team.

Then I say let him walk for that kind of money and the compensation we get back. We can't pay our 4th line center more than 2 million.